F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Any way to control volume via iDrive?
ARMA SPEED

03-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #23
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I don't understand this. SO you can't adjust the volume for the short time that you are shifting gears? Is this what you are saying? Otherwise why are the right hand side controls an issue? Do you drive with your right hand on the shift knob? Two hands on the wheel is the correct placement.
Same here, don't grasp the problem, or the iDrive knob is also wrong, being on the same handed side as the shifter.

Would be similar for us in the UK, volume knob is no good for manual drivers.

Is this another first world none issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 05:33 PM   #24
DHS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 X1, '15 435i & '98 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
This is an inbuilt intelligence test! This causes grief for those less intelligent members amongst us, the knob keeps spinning so you can't go all the way to the left or right.
Yea but I labeled mine 0 to 15 so it is louder. Most only go to 10 unless you add a label. Pretty smart eh.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 05:49 PM   #25
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bols View Post
You can just push in on the volume button on the left side of the dash?

Did BMW redesign the dash for the US market or something lol why are so many people having problems with this?
I just went through my entire owner's manual. I did not see ANY mention of radio operation. In the index, it says "RADIO, 6". There is NOTHING on page 6 to do with the radio.

So is it me?
That's weird.. My index says "see navigation, entertainment and communication manual" for the Radio, Navigation, etc.. Referals.

It's actually a separate second smaller manual that came with the car and details everything in more detail. If you don't have that you could always download the free BMW driver's guide app from the Appstore. Enter your VIN and download and it's in there as well!

Here's a screenshot from said app:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 05:51 PM   #26
AudiA4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 G01 X3 M40i (Black/Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4 View Post
It's a legitimate question, especially for those of us with manuals. Audi includes a dedicated volume knob in the center console next to their MMI wheel.

p.s. If BMW had left the steering wheel volume control on the LEFT of the steering wheel like my E90, it would solve the issue. Being on the right is basically useless for those of us who drive manuals.
I don't understand this. SO you can't adjust the volume for the short time that you are shifting gears? Is this what you are saying? Otherwise why are the right hand side controls an issue? Do you drive with your right hand on the shift knob? Two hands on the wheel is the correct placement.
I fail to see why this needs further explanation. You don't agree that in a manual transmission car, your right hand isn't otherwise SIGNIFICANTLY preoccupied with rowing through the gears?

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

2006 E90 330i (Silver) 6MT, Sport
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 06:05 PM   #27
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiA4
Quote:
Quote:
It's a legitimate question, especially for those of us with manuals. Audi includes a dedicated volume knob in the center console next to their MMI wheel.

p.s. If BMW had left the steering wheel volume control on the LEFT of the steering wheel like my E90, it would solve the issue. Being on the right is basically useless for those of us who drive manuals.
I fail to see why this needs further explanation. You don't agree that in a manual transmission car, your right hand isn't otherwise SIGNIFICANTLY preoccupied with rowing through the gears?
Definitely agree that the controls were easier to use on the left side as in the E90! Then again with all the average speed cam money traps our government is putting up I'm using the cruise control more than my volume control at times and it's really handy on the steering wheel since I usually have to readjust the speed several times if/when someone slow cuts in front of me!

Harder..? Yes! But for the times needed I've grown used to it being there pretty fast it only takes a sec of hand off the stick. The newer engines have plenty of torque to warrant a later shift in most cases imo!
Appreciate 2
      03-19-2016, 06:28 PM   #28
DHS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 X1, '15 435i & '98 Z3

Quote:
Been driving a manual since 1967 and have never had the problem you describe.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2016, 07:17 PM   #29
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHS View Post
Yea but I labeled mine 0 to 15 so it is louder. Most only go to 10 unless you add a label. Pretty smart eh.
This one goes to 11.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 07:19 PM   #30
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I have an Auto--but I totally agree. I need my right hand for my Starbucks, so I need the volume and phone controls on the left side.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 10:14 PM   #31
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHS
Quote:
Like I said, no further explanation. Sheesh.

2014 F30 335i (EB) 6MT, M Sport, Premium, Tech, DHP, HK, CW, M Brakes, M Exhaust

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 10:24 PM   #32
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
How often are you shifting gears? 95% of the time you are not. It seems a trivial issue that you can't change the volume as you shift gears. Further, how well are you steering with one hand while you are are changing volume and shifting at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 10:34 PM   #33
AudiA4
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
How often are you shifting gears? 95% of the time you are not. It seems a trivial issue that you can't change the volume as you shift gears. Further, how well are you steering with one hand while you are are changing volume and shifting at the same time?
So you disagree that it's more convenient on the left? I'm not arguing it's the biggest deal in the world, but since BMW provides that feature, they should have kept it on the left, where it used to be. The left hand is always on the wheel. The right is not. Honestly, that's true with either transmission option.

...and here I said it needed no further explanation. Sigh.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #34
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Should have got an automatic then you would not have this problem.
      03-19-2016, 11:19 PM   #35
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Should have got an automatic then you would not have this problem.
That's not the solution at all, you're being silly.

We still have paddles we can push, what do I do when I'm pushing paddles and I need to adjust the volume, fuck!
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2016, 11:47 PM   #36
Goody4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHS View Post
Right. I remember all of those steering wheel controls from '67. I never had any problems with them, either.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 12:26 AM   #37
MomoM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7 M50i | M2 CS | X5 35i

No no no, you guys who are challenging AudiA4 just don't get it at all. I completely understand and agree and I'll explain why.

I don't even think it's a difference of having a manual as it is for utility. I drive with both hands on the wheel and of course I shift w my right hand since I'm in the U.S. There are many times, many many many many times, when my right hand is multitasking like driving AND shifting. Why assign that right hand a THIRD option of changing the volume too? Something I also change many many times when driving. It would be way better served if the volume control was on the left so that I have double utility with my left hand just as I do my right hand.

I came from over a decade of driving 3 other manual BMWs plus one auto where the volume controls are all on the left and over the years have become largely accustomed to that. Now, this F30 comes around with the volume controls on the right! In comparison, this setup would now be perfectly acceptable for those countries who are right-hand drive vehicles, like in the UK.

I find it utterly useless to have the volume control on the right. If my right hand were free I could just use the knob. If the controls were on the left I could more easily hold the wheel AND change the volume at the same time without worrying if I need that hand at a moments notice to shift.

The best example I can give is when you're shifting while pulling into your driveway and turning down the volume. For no reason at all, I always turn down the volume when I arrive home or anywhere. This proves to be difficult in a manual with volume controls on the right.

I hope this explains. But yeah, probably not worth the time I spent explaining it if you can't see its very useful benefit.

Last edited by MomoM3; 03-20-2016 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2016, 12:08 PM   #38
paul e
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bols View Post
That's weird.. My index says "see navigation, entertainment and communication manual" for the Radio, Navigation, etc.. Referals.

It's actually a separate second smaller manual that came with the car and details everything in more detail. If you don't have that you could always download the free BMW driver's guide app from the Appstore. Enter your VIN and download and it's in there as well!

Here's a screenshot from said app:
Thank you for this. Upon closer reading, Page 6 of my owner's manual says that the manual that is printed for NAV, Entertainment and Communication in other countries is only available in the Control Display with the Integrated Owner's Handbook.

So they print this for other markets - and supply other supplements like warranty and tire for the US - but they do not print this supplement for US buyers.

Hey, what can one expect for only $50k plus?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 05:51 PM   #39
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
That's not the solution at all, you're being silly.

We still have paddles we can push, what do I do when I'm pushing paddles and I need to adjust the volume, fuck!

You do have opposable thumbs.....right?

Appreciate 1
      03-26-2016, 07:56 PM   #40
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Quote:

Agreed with you and OP.

I am surprised this topic hasnt come up sooner.

It has veen a hassle for me since i got this car 4 years ago!!

IF ONLY IF BMW WAS NOT STUPID ENOUGH FOR HAVING MOVED THE VOLUME CONTROLS ON THE STEERING WHEEL FRIM THE LEDT TO THE RIGHT.... We would have not been in this predicamment.

Major Faux Pas!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 10:43 PM   #41
F30inthe6ix
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 BMW 328i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumbringer View Post
FWIW, resting your hand on the gear shift lever can (depending on the transmission) cause premature transmission wear. Do you guys drive with just one hand on the wheel?
I drive 6MT so most of the time I only have one hand on the wheel. Even when I do have my right hand free I try not to rest it on the shift knob. I love the fact that it vibrates on my 328i but I know better than to force the issue when it comes to resting my hand on it for a prolonged period of time.

I treated my old Mazda3 the same way and my OEM clutch was still very good at 307,000km so I think my car now will be just fine as long as I don't drive like a clown.
      10-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #42
the_gooch
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i GC

Wow, bunch of straight up pricks in here. Was searching the forum for this option on my F36. Had an Audi with volume button right next to the MMI wheel and it made perfect sense.

It is not fluid to use the iDrive wheel for track artist/track selection and then take your hand off that area to adjust volume knob or use volume in steering wheel.

The controller supports pinch to zoom in maps but not volume when media is active on screen. Seems an oversight.
Appreciate 0