F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What is this arrow on HUD?
GetBMWParts

08-27-2020, 01:19 AM   #23
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett530 View Post
It seems to point to the last destination the Nav system was guiding to even after navigation has been cancelled. It may only happen when you don't actually get to your destination and cancel Nav, but that is speculation.
That actually makes sense. You navigate to an address, but there is nowhere to park. You start looking for a parking spot in the streets -
Good to know actually where your destination is.
      08-27-2020, 09:26 AM   #24
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareWheels View Post
So, no one really knows what that large arrow is? I have a 2 series loaner right now, it does not have heads up, but it has the same odd arrow in the gauge cluster. It made no sense at all. Seems very random in its direction.
Multiple posters have said what the arrow is. It is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi5 View Post
it is a rough indicator of the direction the road is going next. That is, if the arrow is pointed slightly right (like at 2 o'clock,), the road is going to curve slightly to the right ahead. It seems to be speed sensitive so the faster you are going, the more "predictive" (i.e., further out) the arrow is indicating the direction the road will go.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #25
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareWheels View Post
So, no one really knows what that large arrow is? I have a 2 series loaner right now, it does not have heads up, but it has the same odd arrow in the gauge cluster. It made no sense at all. Seems very random in its direction.
Multiple posters have said what the arrow is. It is this:

Quote:
it is a rough indicator of the direction the road is going next. That is, if the arrow is pointed slightly right (like at 2 o'clock,), the road is going to curve slightly to the right ahead. It seems to be speed sensitive so the faster you are going, the more "predictive" (i.e., further out) the arrow is indicating the direction the road will go.
What is the point of it appearing only after navigation has been active.....?
      08-28-2020, 05:42 PM   #26
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
If the car doesn't know your destination, how can the arrow point you in the direction you are supposed to be going?
Appreciate 1
Billfitz8220.50
      08-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #27
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Quote:
If the car doesn't know your destination, how can the arrow point you in the direction you are supposed to be going?
The car does not know your destination, beyond the point of your destination (navigation is no longer active!). I though what people are saying above is the arrow show turns of the road, not crossings....
      08-28-2020, 06:03 PM   #28
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

The arrow is part of the Nav system, at least in my car. If we are talking about the same thing, it is remnant after you have reached your destination. For me, the arrow is only there when nav is activated. But it remains as a remnant if I pass my destination. It happens to me all the time as my appointments from my phone sync with the car. If the address is not where I park my car, the arrow will continue to point to where that address is from a GPS standpoint.

For example, if I take my kids to soccer the actual address of the soccer fields which the car thinks is my final destination is the front entrance of the park, but the fields are way in the back. Since I don't stop at the front entrance and I have reached my destination and not technically turned off Nav, the arrow will keep pointing from a GPS standpoint to where that front entrance is as it tries to tell me I have missed by destination.

Anyway, if we are talking about the same thing, that is the answer for my car. If I say cancel Nav, then it goes away. Or if I park and watch the kids practice, it is gone when I fire up the car the next time.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 02:46 AM   #29
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

That's exactly my theory and it makes way more sense than it showing you the next turn of the road 😉

It continues to point to your destination after it has been reached. Period.
      08-29-2020, 02:21 PM   #30
Psi5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW F32 440i

Quote:
That's exactly my theory and it makes way more sense than it showing you the next turn of the road 😉
Except that if I am driving and the road is bending to the right with my next turn around the bend and a hard left, the "next turn" arrow will show the hard left approaching but the the other arrow will show a slight bend to the right, following the direction the road is heading.

It also changes according to the speed you are driving which would not be the case if it were pointing to your ultimate destination.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #31
Psi5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here's an example of what I just described. See how the road arrow is pointed right, following the turn while the next turn arrow shows a hard left?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #32
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Don't think I have ever seen the "road" arrow on mine. Will check next time I use a the navigation (which is not too often).

So in the example photo above, the navigation is active?
      08-29-2020, 11:25 PM   #33
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

What is this arrow on HUD?

With Nav active that is how my HUD looks, although with the US speed limits, etc. OP has it with just the arrow, which I believe is a remnant of the nav after you have reached your destination. With Nav active yes it shows you a world of good stuff. I like it in big cities like Dallas and Houston where roads are every where and big highways cross cross; I find it really shows you the path and the correct lane to be in to get to your destination.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 04:05 AM   #34
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

True, although I keep looking at the iDrive screen. I feel it gives me more unambiguous info. Generally find the HUD a "nice to have" feature, but can definitely live without it. Don't have a HUD on my Audi and never felt anything is missing.
      09-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #35
Psi5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So in the example photo above, the navigation is active?
Yes, nav active (FYI - pic not from my car but from a Google search). Went on a long drive last weekend and paid attention to the arrow. My HUD looks just like the pic and definitely previews the direction the road is going.
2013 Mazda 3 6MT
2008 Honda Oddyssey
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 09:50 PM   #36
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

It also shows on mine after arriving to the destination. It might be the new thing on updated NBT EVO. I have seen this today after my wife arrived to house and i parked to the garage, i saw this arrow staying there, i thought i did code something and activated day before. But then i asked her , she confirmed that she set the Navi to house. It disappeared after ignition cycle. Must be pointing the location where it set for the navigation at the end of arrival.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 02:40 AM   #37
Icarium81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018, 330i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
It also shows on mine after arriving to the destination. It might be the new thing on updated NBT EVO. I have seen this today after my wife arrived to house and i parked to the garage, i saw this arrow staying there, i thought i did code something and activated day before. But then i asked her , she confirmed that she set the Navi to house. It disappeared after ignition cycle. Must be pointing the location where it set for the navigation at the end of arrival.
Great pointless necro. To get rid of it, select a new destination, then cancel the trip, all gone.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 09:25 AM   #38
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Here's an example of what I just described. See how the road arrow is pointed right, following the turn while the next turn arrow shows a hard left?
Even though I have an older version of the HUD/iDrive, mine does the same thing, though only when the navigation is actively plotting to a destination. It's strange to watch it either overexaggerate a gentle bend in the road that appears almost straight.

I've never seen it stay behind after navigation has been turned off.
      06-24-2021, 02:30 PM   #39
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

No HUD, but nav would still be directing to the last destination after turning it off. Once you know, just a few seconds to start it, then stop it again as the stop option won't be there after stopping it.

I think 3-4 times in 4 years in the 2017.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 10:59 PM   #40
ENZO13
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
It indicates the car next to you wants to race
hahahaha or slow down a bit as he was about to reach 50 limit
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 12:59 PM   #41
teeebone
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3

Never saw it before on my 2019 430i until I just got my entire head unit replaced. Picked up the car today, tried out the navigation and low and behold it was there. After destination complete it stayed on - even getting out the the car and turning it off a couple times. No rhyme or reason as to when it would finally turn off. Figured out to just uncheck "navigation" on the instrument panel settings - granted that also eliminates the turns but who needs the turns on the instrument panel when you get them on your map during navigation? Now no worries about that huge arrow showing up again blocking other things I may want to see.
[IMG]
View post on imgur.com
[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #42
F30Mo16
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i

I had an issue with my HUD and NAvigation . when I had the GPS take me home and I would get off thise one particular exit - my ENTIRE dash lights would turn off for 5 seconds and come back on... If I didn't have the GPS on taking me home and getting off that exit - it doesn't do it lol.

They had to reprogram the computer - they didn't believe me hte first time so I recorded it and forced them to fix it udner warranty
Appreciate 0