F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Changing to Coilovers affect DDC
Studio RSR

01-21-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
reddemon73
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435

Changing to Coilovers affect DDC

Will switching to aftermarket coilovers affect the driving dynamic control (DDC)?

Driving Dynamics Control with ECO PRO, COMFORT and SPORT settings

Thanks all.
2014 435i M Sport //AW, CR//premium, tech, lightening pkgs//20% tint//full clear bra//ppk//blk grills//20" Vertini wheels//digital gauge//Apple Carplay//MPE with catted DP//VSRF charge pipe//Wagner FMIC//
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:34 AM   #2
cjack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435X, EBII, 6MT, PPK + 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddemon73 View Post
Will switching to aftermarket coilovers affect the driving dynamic control (DDC)?

Driving Dynamics Control with ECO PRO, COMFORT and SPORT settings

Thanks all.

I am by no means an expert with suspensions...but from what I understand, if you purchase "regular" coil overs, you will no longer have the functionality of DDC for the suspension. If you purchase more expensive KW DDC coil-overs (or similar), they should be compatible with your DDC system.

I believe if you have DDC (with adjustable suspension) your stock shocks are digitally connected to and controlled by the vehicles computer (via CAN bus). If you have DDC and install "regular" coil-overs, the vehicle computer may throw an error code because it cannot detect the DDC shocks anymore.

That being said, after I found a part number for the KW DDC product, I contacted KW Germany and they said they sell a kit for our 435x (not sure what you have) , but told me to contact KW North America. I contacted KW North America and they told me the kit was not available yet. The kit is not cheap.

Just noticed you have an E92, KW may have a kit available for you.

Regards,
CJack
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
You mean DHP. If you do not have DHP then the switch that goes between sport, comfort and econo are just changing the gear ratio of the tranny. Only on DHP option does it alter the ride. You can retain DHP by swapping out the springs and leaving the factory coil overs. But if you do not have DHP (extra option you know if you have it), then your struts are the old non-adjustable type.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #4
reddemon73
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435

Thanks for the info guys. I am not planning to purchase the car with DHP so I might be safe when switching to coils. Is DHP worth it?
2014 435i M Sport //AW, CR//premium, tech, lightening pkgs//20% tint//full clear bra//ppk//blk grills//20" Vertini wheels//digital gauge//Apple Carplay//MPE with catted DP//VSRF charge pipe//Wagner FMIC//
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
Dippydo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 Comp

Garage List
2012 BMW  [1.00]
Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. I am not planning to purchase the car with DHP so I might be safe when switching to coils. Is DHP worth it?
I personally would rather put my money into a good set of coil overs than DHP. The reason being is I am running 20s and want to set the car down perfectly and not be married to a fixed height of a spring drop.

I heard if you get the X-drive then you should get DHP because it will be floaty. Without DHP then the X-drive handles like crap.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Quote:
I have DHP, and I personally am not impressed. Use the money elsewhere. At the cheapest end, you can go with Dinan springs. Next up is M Performance Suspension. And most expensive is coilovers (good ones).

And yes, if you don't get DHP, then you will have no problems switching to coils
Appreciate 0