F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > ASIA > using ASS In Hong Kong
GetBMWParts

09-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Wombat
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Sparkling Bronze F31 328i

using ASS In Hong Kong

first time driving in +35°c today and auto stop start didn't activate and it got me wondering if you guys find it useful in HK? most of my trips are quite short and most of the time due to the heat, the car restarts way before the light turns green. I worry that it will put a lot more strain on the battery plus with such short trips the fuel saving would be minimal.

so do you guys find ASS useful? or do you switch it off as soon as you start the car?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 v10 Spyder

Garage List
I usually leave ASS on, can be useful during peak hour traffic. However the ASS can be a little intruding when it cuts the engine, also very noticeable when it starts up again. Not very refined.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
GTKY
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 M-Sport Mineral Grey

I generally use it when needed. Eg: If I see a red light coming up and I know that I'm going to stop for some time, I turn it on manually, then let the engine shut down, then turn off ASS after I get moving again. Generally, I turn off ASS everytime I start driving.

The reason is when the engine starts, and gear is in D, I realise the car jerks forward slightly, and not comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
knightsabers
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 v10 Spyder

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTKY View Post
I generally use it when needed. Eg: If I see a red light coming up and I know that I'm going to stop for some time, I turn it on manually, then let the engine shut down, then turn off ASS after I get moving again. Generally, I turn off ASS everytime I start driving.

The reason is when the engine starts, and gear is in D, I realise the car jerks forward slightly, and not comfortable.
Agreed, not comfortable at all. Tends to jerk a lot when starting up. I guess for HK traffic unless you drive to work, no point enabling ASS.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2014, 12:49 AM   #5
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
I use ASS all the time and hardly notice when it kicks in. Perhaps it's something to do with being a 6 cylinder, rather than a 4 (or perhaps I'm just very used to it functioning now).

However, in hotter weather (above 30C), the time spent with the engine off is minimal because the AC is running and usually needs to recharge with the engine running.