F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > TPM Malfunction
GetBMWParts

06-13-2021, 06:41 PM   #1
mikebattag
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xdrive

TPM Malfunction

I drive a 2013 328xi. A few weeks ago, my area had a very severe storm that knocked over all the trash cans on my street, filling it with garbage. I was trying to be careful and drive around what I could, but I ended up running over what seemed to be a wine bottle. My car is on coilovers, and has very little clearance. I heard the bottle hit the undercarriage as I drove over it. Ever since then, I've been having problems with my TPMS. The car has the psi and temperature readings coded in, and after I ran over the bottle, the rear driver side tire was not reading, and after a little bit, it gave me a TPM malfunction error. When the error would come up, none of the tires would read. I reset the TPM and it worked for about a day, and then gave me the malfunction error again. I brought it to a tire shop to fix a flat and told them to look at the error, and they told me that all four sensors were bad and that they would have to replace them. I'm pretty positive that the sensors are completely fine so I refused. After I got the car back, none of the sensors would read. I've tried to reset the TPM and now it gets stuck on "resetting TPM…". The car will not let me switch driving modes, and I'm pretty sure it's due to the TPM malfunction. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I don't have many options for places to bring my car to because im down south for college, and it's hard to find a trustworthy shop down here. Even the shop I brought it to for a patch knicked my rim… There's no way running over a wine bottle would break the sensors inside the tire, and like I said, at first, only the rear driver side tire was not reading (but once in a while it would). Very strange. Any input would be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 01:33 PM   #2
mikebattag
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebattag View Post
I drive a 2013 328xi. A few weeks ago, my area had a very severe storm that knocked over all the trash cans on my street, filling it with garbage. I was trying to be careful and drive around what I could, but I ended up running over what seemed to be a wine bottle. My car is on coilovers, and has very little clearance. I heard the bottle hit the undercarriage as I drove over it. Ever since then, I've been having problems with my TPMS. The car has the psi and temperature readings coded in, and after I ran over the bottle, the rear driver side tire was not reading, and after a little bit, it gave me a TPM malfunction error. When the error would come up, none of the tires would read. I reset the TPM and it worked for about a day, and then gave me the malfunction error again. I brought it to a tire shop to fix a flat and told them to look at the error, and they told me that all four sensors were bad and that they would have to replace them. I'm pretty positive that the sensors are completely fine so I refused. After I got the car back, none of the sensors would read. I've tried to reset the TPM and now it gets stuck on "resetting TPM…". The car will not let me switch driving modes, and I'm pretty sure it's due to the TPM malfunction. Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I don't have many options for places to bring my car to because im down south for college, and it's hard to find a trustworthy shop down here. Even the shop I brought it to for a patch knicked my rim… There's no way running over a wine bottle would break the sensors inside the tire, and like I said, at first, only the rear driver side tire was not reading (but once in a while it would). Very strange. Any input would be helpful.
Bump
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 03:07 AM   #3
J555
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 340iX

The TPMS issues can be tricky to isolate, what I would do:
- if you are on lower tire pressures, overinflate them a bit, and try resetting again (chances are small, but sometimes works)
- bring the car to the shop to test/reset the valves sensors (it can be done with the car on the street, and confirm the valves are fine), and reset
- if that wouldn't help / no issue found, then BMW dealer to isolate it (can be the main unit, or the sensors in the fender wells)

Not sure, if this throws some error codes that can help to isolate it; certainly worth checking.
Appreciate 0