F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > ZF8HP oil change Gravity vs Pressure ?
proTUNING Freaks

01-20-2020, 02:42 AM   #1
coiedulci
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 ED

ZF8HP oil change Gravity vs Pressure ?

In my eastern europe country, this type of machines: Ravenol ATF professional exchange are becoming more and more popular.

An oil change with this type of pressure machine costs around twice more than the normal gravity method, one of the reasons is because it uses almost twice the oil quantity.

Is paying twice as much worth it just to have all the oil changed ( like they advertise ) ? Also, the oil is Ravenol, not ZF ( how makes the ZF oil ? ).

In Germany or other tier 1 countries, this types of ATF machines are common or not ?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 10:27 AM   #2
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

ZF only mentions the pan drop (gravity) but they don't sell fluid flush machines unlike Ravenol.

Generally speaking these machines are OK if they rely on the internal pump within the transmission to move the fluid. You want to avoid the machines which have their own pump which forces the fluid through the transmission. I don't know how these machines compensate for temperature since the transmission fluid must stay with a certain temp when filling.

The pan drop is the cheapest way to go.

I have no opinion on Ravenol ATF. It's not very common in the US.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:20 PM   #3
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Stick with gravity method. If there is a reason you're changing your fluid other than preventative maintenance that'd be good info for anyone trying to e-help you.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
IraHayes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Gravity method all the way. Many years ago I was a tech at a Ford dealer. Our trans guys got excited when we finally got a flushing machine. The excitement didn't last long. I can't tell you how many transmissions were ruined by that contraption. Just do it the old fashioned way.
Appreciate 0