F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Interesting Dealer interaction
ARMA SPEED

01-16-2020, 11:49 PM   #23
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
Hahaha... good one

It's a NSX

You could sell it later down the road for more
I actually saw the market was going to soften on those and got out at the right time.... the prices are starting to come back to earth a bit on them.

I can't complain....I picked it up in 2014 with 120k miles from original owner for $25,000..... put 24k miles on her and put about $10k into maintenance and mods then cashed out for $42k 5 1/2 years later.

It was my third one in last 17 years so it was time for something different, but now I find myself looking for another steal on one

I miss it tho, wish I could have kept it and still got the Porsche....should have just got divorced

Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
vtown99.00
      01-16-2020, 11:50 PM   #24
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

If you want to see monopolies owning dealerships, come to Las Vegas. Go somewhere else? Well...

SoCal; can resemble stepping in a bathtub of vipers depending on where you look. Travel distance to the Inland Empire is 150 miles, SoCal proper is more with San Diego at 335 miles.

St George in Utah; much closer, only 100 miles but very limited choice due to small population.

Phoenix; 300 miles away for a start. Do you like your cars full of sand and Bark Scorpions?

Got very lucky and scored a ML 350 Bluetec from New Mexico via Carmax. Cost me $400 in shipping just to see it, but I couldn't drive and stay there for much less once you factor in hotel room, meals, fuel and wear and tear on existing vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 12:20 PM   #25
scottmoyer
In the garage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

The truck dealership is part of the same family as the BMW dealership. They have many dealerships nationwide. I don't know if they can legally share my personal data between their own entities. Regarding the trade in option, I was taking the tax benefits into account with the value I was willing to accept from them. Like I said, years ago, there were three categories and depending on the cost of the car, trading in was actually better than trying to sell it yourself.

Back in 2017, I thought one dealer just didn't want a car that I was trading in and they offered me a ridiculous price for the trade. I had a 2015 Charger Scat Pack that had many electrical issues. After the issue I had with Dodge and the issues I had with the dealership, when the replacement car came in, I drove to the dealer next door to trade it in. It had less than 50 miles on the odometer (which was a problem in itself because it was shipped from the factory with 10 miles on it). The new Scat Pack had an MSRP of $46k and the new dealership offered me $29k. I just walked away. I had the replacement car for one week and 400 miles and had nothing but electrical issues with it again and did trade it in for $39k. I made out on that deal because I only owed $34k.

I mentioned earlier that I hadn't traded in a car for many years. I forgot about this one, probably because it worked out so well.
      01-20-2020, 02:25 AM   #26
mujjuman
Old Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black

Quote:
Big BUT .... there is always a car that will never sell either no matter what you do... only thing to do is trade it in
Yes this is very true. Although I have gotten rid of a car with a blown engine but it had a perfect, immaculate shell (body, interior, wheels, electronics, even the mods). I just didnt want to deal with it anymore lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
True, but to get the cars real worth would mean the dealership would make no money off the deal or maybe even take a loss.

When they take in your car as a trade, they have to do something with that vehicle and their options are to resell it on their lot (rarely happens) or sell it off at auction. Either way, they need to make money off that transaction. Dealership profit centers are not the new car sales, it's used car sales and service. They wouldn't exist if they couldn't make a profit, or worse take a loss.
You are right, they are a business after all. They need to make money somehow from the traded vehicle. I've found that it's better in the sense that you get much more money from a private sale, compared to a much less hassle of trading it in. Provided the car is fully paid off.

I was at a Mercedes dealer one day looking for a new car for my parents, and the dealer offered me $12k for my 3 year old Mercedes with low miles! Expected a lowball offer but not THAT low! I got it appraised for shits and giggles. The car ended up being totaled 3 years later and I got considerably more than that from insurance
      01-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #27
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

I sold my '14 335i Sport Line to Carvana about 2 years ago. They were ~$1000 higher on their offer than anyone else I checked. Carmax was not much above dealer trade-in.

OP, I see you have it posted on the sales section here...good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 11:25 AM   #28
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I have a 340i ZHP as well (1 of 100 built). I sure as hell don't expect to get any sort of extra money for the exclusivity when I go to trade it in. However, a private party sale might yield me better money.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 11:55 AM   #29
scottmoyer
In the garage
United_States
Rep

I will state again that I expected the base price to be better than $17k.

Also, I know the cost of mods is usually ignored on a used vehicle, but this is a factory option of mods, not aftermarket. A cost of over $10k for this factory option item should have have some recognition for used value. Just doing a Google search for 2016 ZHP, and you'll find all the auto blogs, in 2015, raving about this limited edition that BMW was coming out with. It was obviously a big deal when new, you'd think there would be something for it now.

I also agree that a small, limited production option, usually doesn't have its own value when used, but a $10k single option is a 20% value increase over the standard car.

That's almost like there being no value increase for the 2016 GTS. I mean, it's still just an M4, right?
      01-20-2020, 12:18 PM   #30
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmoyer View Post
I will state again that I expected the base price to be better than $17k.

Also, I know the cost of mods is usually ignored on a used vehicle, but this is a factory option of mods, not aftermarket. A cost of over $10k for this factory option item should have have some recognition for used value. Just doing a Google search for 2016 ZHP, and you'll find all the auto blogs, in 2015, raving about this limited edition that BMW was coming out with. It was obviously a big deal when new, you'd think there would be something for it now.

I also agree that a small, limited production option, usually doesn't have its own value when used, but a $10k single option is a 20% value increase over the standard car.

That's almost like there being no value increase for the 2016 GTS. I mean, it's still just an M4, right?
You can argue your position so many time.... remember school: supply and demand. Also you need to factor the stupidity of the seller.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 12:20 PM   #31
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Zhp car higher demand than regular 435 msport. Period. Especially if it is an Alpine car or 6spd.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 12:24 PM   #32
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

I think the main point is that people typically trade in their cars for the convenience of the dealership taking care of the paperwork, and the customer not having to deal with the time and energy to try to sell it on the private market.

With a limited production car like the ZHP, a large part of it comes down to timing. Are there people specifically looking for that car when you go to sell it? The people willing to pay more for it being a ZHP are fewer and farther between than people just looking to buy a used BMW. Posting to the classifieds here is a good start. Might also consider BringaTrailer. GLWS!
      01-20-2020, 12:25 PM   #33
scottmoyer
In the garage
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Also you need to factor the stupidity of the seller.
I'm not understanding your comment here. I'm the seller, so are you saying I'm stupid?
      01-20-2020, 12:38 PM   #34
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Quote:
I'm not understanding your comment here. I'm the seller, so are you saying I'm stupid?
No your not stupid.... as my comment said . Because your complaining or ranting here means you are not that stupid seller and you still have your car. Dealer are always for profit no matter what you do. I'll never buy and sell for tiny bit of profit...the work done for Pennies is not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 12:47 PM   #35
scottmoyer
In the garage
United_States
Rep

Understood. I agree. I work too hard for my money and the toys that I use for enjoyment. I don't feel justified in being charitable to a car dealership! What have they ever done for me.

Regarding the fact that I have it listed on this forum for sale, I have it listed at a price that might be considered high, but I'm open to offers. If a dealership can start high, why can't I?
      01-20-2020, 01:21 PM   #36
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Understood. I agree. I work too hard for my money and the toys that I use for enjoyment. I don't feel justified in being charitable to a car dealership! What have they ever done for me.

Regarding the fact that I have it listed on this forum for sale, I have it listed at a price that might be considered high, but I'm open to offers. If a dealership can start high, why can't I?
obviously your choice to set/negotiate final sales price, it's your car. In my numerous private BMW car selling experiences being priced at/near market value is key to attracting and turning a sale in reasonable timeframe; I think most would agree. your car has special/unique options, it's going to take the "right" buyer (moderate or Major enthusiast type) coming your way for you to get the higher value one associates with those options/features. patience, and realistically expect a longer sales cycle to achieve close to your price goal.

2 years ago I put my pristine, VERY low mileage 2000 model year E39 on the market; now it's an old car and not as 'unique' as what you own - M-sport w/5 spd manual tranny...so somewhat sought after car in the BMW World. Priced it at $250 over KBB PP price ($4200 as I recall). It took me three months and a slim showing of only 2 prospective buyers to sell the car over that time period - sold it at the KBB PP price) - VERY few people these days want a third pedal; the guy who bought the car was a Porsche owner, he would ONLY drive a manual tranny car. Gotta be priced 'right' AND the right buyer needs to show.

Last edited by Wgosma; 01-20-2020 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
otay826.00
      01-20-2020, 02:41 PM   #37
otay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

Quote:

You can start high but:
- A reasonable price with market conditions taken into consideration makes for a quicker sale.
- You've already told us what your trade-in offer was...a savvy buyer who wants to know more about the vehicle can easily search here for your comments and will also then know that you're now asking double the trade-in value.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      01-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #38
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by otay View Post
You can start high but:
- A reasonable price with market conditions taken into consideration makes for a quicker sale.
- You've already told us what your trade-in offer was...a savvy buyer who wants to know more about the vehicle can easily search here for your comments and will also then know that you're now asking double the trade-in value.
The trade in value quote was a conversation stopper, that's why he's here. Just because someone or some entity lowballed you for your vehicle doesn't bring its value down.

Not knowing the history or actual mechanical/ cosmetic condition I can't judge price. However, unless ultra low miles and super mint condition $34k possibly not going to work. A dealership can sell your car for more than you can in this price range because other people usually need to trade in a car to buy one.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:37 PM   #39
scottmoyer
In the garage
United_States
Rep

I actually priced my car at the same price another local one was priced at. The other car was identical, but black. I see that they have now lowered their price.

AlpineX, I agree with you completely on the low ball offer. Just because it was made, doesn't mean it's a valid price. If you look at the MMR pricing that was provided earlier, the range of $20,500 - $24,300 was shown, for an average 435i. Is the ZHP average?

I said before that I expected them to come in low, but $17k is ridiculous. The whole purpose to this post was to point out how poorly the BMWs seem to be holding their value. I don't have to sell, so I don't care what they offered. I said no and walked away.
      01-20-2020, 05:57 PM   #40
AlpineX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
AlpineX, I agree with you completely on the low ball offer. Just because it was made, doesn't mean it's a valid price. If you look at the MMR pricing that was provided earlier, the range of $20,500 - $24,300 was shown, for an average 435i. Is the ZHP average?
ZHP is not average F32, but needs to be above average in every way to command top dollar.
I can tell you that if you posted it for sale for $25k it would sell really fast. No question it should be worth well more than that given individual value inputs, or someone's deep desire for a particular vehicle. ie if it's the exact ultra car you want but its 5% overbudget or $2k overpriced, is it worth missing it if you settle for the closest comparison (then add only some of the parts for more than the difference in original purchase prices).

Only compare pricing to other MSports (within 10k MSRP) same condition, mileage, warranty status, then within area if possible. Add pricing for used parts and DIY labor to make up the LSD, tune, exhaust, Fr/Rr Mperformance spoiler/diffuser.
We don't have access to information from the cars that have sold at retail (sales), this data matters more than the data you see as current cars available. You have to watch what sells, what gets reduced, and what sits to know where to be. sometimes dealer gets full asking price, usually not.
As a seller you can gauge interest by your views, posted inquiries or action, or private messages. The car is actively depreciating, so holding onto it for 6 months trying to get top dollar likely to net you less than making a deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #41
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:

The whole purpose to this post was to point out how poorly the BMWs seem to be holding their value. I don't have to sell, so I don't care what they offered. I said no and walked away.
Nowadays, the BMW market is very saturated; there are too many options, to the point where it unreasonably dilutes the value of any other mass-produced variant, especially a model as common as the F30.

I know the ZHP has a stock LSD and bunch of other cosmetic add-ons but when the dealer uses their auction software to valuate your vehicle, they don't differentiate it from a regular base F30, hence the low offer.

Only if you pitch it properly to the right, private seller will you recoup a higher return.

You can't blame BMW or the dealer either, sometimes they take a loss or wash on a trade-in also, so you can't be mad at them for erring on the side of safety and buying it out at a low offer.

There used to be a time when BMW only had like 3 models (3, 5, 7) and its value stayed up there or at least you could of broken even on a return but nowadays they're a dime a dozen and they fall into that whole supply/demand pitfall.
Appreciate 2
Wgosma806.00
CajunBMW1288.50
      01-20-2020, 08:00 PM   #42
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

if you're in no hurry to sell the car, ask what you really think it is worth and hope to get lucky....if you want to sell it quickly, price it right. It will sale.

I notice a lot of sellers on nsxprime asking way too much for their cars and they sit there for months, sometimes year or more...and they continue to bump their ad with a lower price every time... I priced mine for what I would be happy getting for it and I sold it in less than a week. I found the right buyer at the right time....he was the only one who responded to my ad and drove out from Texas to buy it. I only had one other offer and it was low ball after I had already sold it, so it was fun to tell the guy "sorry...it has been sold for $5K more" than his offer

there is another option for you....Bring a Trailer might be a good place to sell your car.... its like $99 and the buyer pays the 5% fee

GLWS
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:47 AM   #43
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
Quote:
I believe on this, I did try to sell my 13 civic si before trading it in for my current 2016 F36, I was selling it for the upper side of the KKB value then I was looking at the F36 at the dealer and kinda want it but I told myself that depend on how much trade value they give me. Then the sales rep came back and got me a decent number trade value for my civic about $1000 less than what I have listed at craigslist... then i tried easing the used car manager to give more... I succeeded he raise the offer about $1500 and I said deal.

For short I didn't lost money on my 13 civic si, I probably got more.... but the civic si is one reliable car. And it's not a BMW with crazy options value that basically worth shit when it's time to resell the car.
Wow this was hard to read. You never win trading a car to a dealership. I've made this mistake many times since it's just easier to trade in. They may make it look like you got a good deal but you never do.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 01:14 PM   #44
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Quote:
I believe on this, I did try to sell my 13 civic si before trading it in for my current 2016 F36, I was selling it for the upper side of the KKB value then I was looking at the F36 at the dealer and kinda want it but I told myself that depend on how much trade value they give me. Then the sales rep came back and got me a decent number trade value for my civic about $1000 less than what I have listed at craigslist... then i tried easing the used car manager to give more... I succeeded he raise the offer about $1500 and I said deal.

For short I didn't lost money on my 13 civic si, I probably got more.... but the civic si is one reliable car. And it's not a BMW with crazy options value that basically worth shit when it's time to resell the car.
Wow this was hard to read. You never win trading a car to a dealership. I've made this mistake many times since it's just easier to trade in. They may make it look like you got a good deal but you never do.
I was lucky enough to sell my E90, then with money in hands I approached the dealer to buy my F30.
As trade in I would get $3000 less.
Appreciate 0