F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > High Pitched Whistle in Cabin
Studio RSR

12-02-2019, 08:03 PM   #23
Sarastro
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: 2010 320i Hardtop Convertible

My car came back from a service about a month ago, and as part of that they carried out a pending recall action relating to wiring around the heater unit. Guess what - silent since.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #24
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclanakf30 View Post
Anyone have luck in finding out what causes this whistling sound?
I'm taking my car in this Friday for this. We'll see what they come up with. It's been to the dealer a few times for this specific issues and so far we have added the AC weight and changed differential seals but it has not gone away.
      12-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #25
Dheeth-G80
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C

I have this same exact noise/sound during deceleration in my 2013 F30
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:33 PM   #26
Gabriel94
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any idea why my F30 is making this sound when I'm starting it for the first time of the day? Check the videos.It has been checked in the garage and they are saying that nothing is wrong with the car... But still sounds bad even if they had a look the the engine.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 02:35 PM   #27
StannisBaratheon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Xdrive

Taking my 2016 340i in next week to have them look at a whistling noise above 30 mph. The noise gets louder when I accelerate and becomes more quiet if I take my foot off the gas and coast. It sounds like a bad seal on the door or sunroof but I'll post back what they find.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2021, 01:07 PM   #28
aleks021
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by StannisBaratheon View Post
Taking my 2016 340i in next week to have them look at a whistling noise above 30 mph. The noise gets louder when I accelerate and becomes more quiet if I take my foot off the gas and coast. It sounds like a bad seal on the door or sunroof but I'll post back what they find.
Did you manage to solve the problem StannisBaratheon ?
I have the exact same problem. Wolf howl like sound appears at about 90kmh, and disappears after 130-14-kmh. But i think thats because i cant hear it, due to engine noise ( i have 2.0 diesel ). Also, howl will disappear if i release the throttle, and reappear if i press it again. If i floor it, i cant hear it.

I did full gearbox service ( ZF8 ). I suspect it is rear differential, since i dont have xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2021, 07:58 AM   #29
StannisBaratheon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks021 View Post
I have the exact same problem. Wolf howl like sound appears at about 90kmh, and disappears after 130-14-kmh. But i think thats because i cant hear it, due to engine noise ( i have 2.0 diesel ). Also, howl will disappear if i release the throttle, and reappear if i press it again. If i floor it, i cant hear it.

I did full gearbox service ( ZF8 ). I suspect it is rear differential, since i dont have xdrive.
The dealer didn't figure it out and neither have I but you are describing exactly the same symptoms. I also suspect it's some bearing in the rear differential. I have used blue painters tape to cover every seam and seal on the body to determine if it's wind noise or a bad seal and it didn't make a difference. The noise also disappears when I take my foot off the throttle so it must be something in the drivetrain. Mine is an xDrive so it could also be the front diff or transfer case.

Have you changed the fluid in your rear diff yet?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 02:35 AM   #30
aleks021
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Quote:

The dealer didn't figure it out and neither have I but you are describing exactly the same symptoms. I also suspect it's some bearing in the rear differential. I have used blue painters tape to cover every seam and seal on the body to determine if it's wind noise or a bad seal and it didn't make a difference. The noise also disappears when I take my foot off the throttle so it must be something in the drivetrain. Mine is an xDrive so it could also be the front diff or transfer case.

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, changing fluid was the first thing I have done. Oil was black. The shop says when oil in diff gets so black, it usually means that bearing or gears are damaged a bit.

And yes, in the past you could only hear it from 140-160kmh, very strange.

Thing is, I'm moving to Switzerland l, and I'm scared to drive it up there, for 1300km
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 05:39 AM   #31
purdylochlainn@gmail.com
Purdy
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonb1 View Post
Here's what mines sounds like

Hi. I am having the exact same sound. Did you ever find out what the issue was. Thanks
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2022, 10:17 AM   #32
ortus912
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 230i Xdrive

have you found the solution??

Same for me first noise gone after rear diff replacement but not this constant kettle noise after 20mph (or 35kmh)

if you did please help me out!!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 03:39 AM   #33
ineedabiggerboat
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

They found the source of the whistle

Had my X3 M40i in for it's first service. Moved house a long way away just after I bought it and although the whistle was there at the beginning, I figured I'd get it "listened to" at the first service at a dealer near my area.

Service tech couldn't hear it on his first test drive but came back and did a few things like taping up the moon roof etc without success.

He took it for another drive and finally heard it. Funnily enough the whistle, which is exactly the same as the video in the first post is wind direction dependent.

To cut a long story short, he took off the grill (circled in the attached pic), took out some foam from the firewall and saw that some widget described as a butterfly was distorted. (Sorry for the poor description as it's second hand from the service clerk).

Drove an hour at varying speeds and not a peep. Good news as it was becoming very annoying.

See attached pic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-16-2023, 07:53 AM   #34
bmitrovcak
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 , BMW F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdylochlainn@gmail.com View Post
Hi. I am having the exact same sound. Did you ever find out what the issue was. Thanks
Anybody came with a solution???
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2023, 07:55 AM   #35
bmitrovcak
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 , BMW F31

What was the cause of whistle ?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 08:16 AM   #36
dominicp11
Rep
Drives: BMW 328XI

Bumping this - per the video of the '14 with red seats on the first page, has anyone had a definite solution that can comment back?
Appreciate 0