F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Thoughts and Opinions on the Genesis G70
ARMA SPEED

07-16-2018, 12:23 AM   #1
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Thoughts and Opinions on the Genesis G70

So, the new Genesis G70 is close to being available and reviews were just published moments ago. So far the car has been praised for its eager dynamics, quality, value, and the availability of a manual (*4 cylinder only).

Personally I think the car is "ok" looking, its nice and definitely not too outrageous looking like say a Lexus, but the front end doesn't really match the rest of the car with all of its sharp and angular lines, but the side profile isn't bad. I praise that a manual transmission is available, but of course, like Audi, it isn't available at all with the 6 cylinder, and one article stated something about a large and unusual power drop when letting off of the clutch that is programmed into the car. I think the best part about the genesis is the interior. It looks like the materials are high quality, especially those seats and the interior design is smartly arranged. My gripes would be, i'm sure along with everyone else, mainly the tacked on screen, which looks like an afterthought. Other than that, the interior could use a newer and more technological infotainment system and dashboard, and maybe some wood, to warm up the cabin feel.

It seems the Genesis will be a series competitor to the 3 series, especially with a new one on the rise. But then again, does it matter when SUVs are thriving and sedans are losing sales? Only time will tell.

What do you think about the Genesis G70...

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-drive-review

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 1.07.03 AM.png
Views: 1561
Size:  1.38 MB
Name:  Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 1.07.38 AM.png
Views: 1958
Size:  1.37 MB
Name:  Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 1.07.57 AM.png
Views: 1449
Size:  1.40 MB
Name:  Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 1.08.14 AM.png
Views: 1566
Size:  1.44 MB
Name:  Screen Shot 2018-07-16 at 1.08.34 AM.png
Views: 1407
Size:  1,001.1 KB
Appreciate 1
BrettKA7566.50
      07-16-2018, 05:22 AM   #2
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

It’s still a Hyundai.

You can polish a turd....
Appreciate 5
vooonoo537.00
Sea-Tac1453.00
dL.78.50
JBH661235.50
      07-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #3
vooonoo
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rep
Drives: f30 328

Garage List
2014 f30 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
It's still a Hyundai.

Was going to say the exact same thing
Appreciate 2
HFW0035684.50
JBH661235.50
      07-16-2018, 06:22 AM   #4
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
I don't think about it at all...these days, everyone is a wannabe and BMW is still the benchmark. Old proverb: you don't get what you don't pay for.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2018, 06:56 AM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
It’s still a Hyundai.
Which means it has the highest reliability in the industry. I'd call it competition for the Lexus IS, not BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 07:27 AM   #6
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

It's a rebadged Kia stinger. One difference that stands out from the Kia badged version is the manual option in the 2 liter engine cars. Otherwise it looks like a more nicely dressed stinger.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #7
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

It’s a nice looking car for people that don’t like to push beyond 7/10ths or so (based on Car and Driver reviews). Love the quilted leather interior. The infotainment screen doesn’t look any more tacked-on than a BMW or MB.

Solid option for people wanting 5-series size for 20k less, or however much cheaper it is. I wouldn’t push a 5-series beyond 7/10ths either, anyway. Probably going to be more reliable and less trouble than a BMW too.

Bottom line is I hope competition like this pushes BMW to up its game either with higher quality or lower price. Competition is good for consumers in the end.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
NWest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
It’s still a Hyundai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vooonoo View Post
Was going to say the exact same thing
me too, except I'd change "can" to "can't".
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
jeffc83
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive Luxury Line

The exterior and most of the interior are decent but that screen doesn't cut it for me even if it is 8" (looks cheap and out of place more so than others; maybe it's the non-HD square look) along with the instrument cluster and vents. It also seems like most Hyundai/Kia's are still in the 90's when looking at the info within the cluster....at least this one might me 256-colors!

It's still nice to see them move up in the car world but I still like my car just as much if not more after seeing this....

That seat was meant to be used, are you going to deny it's purpose in life?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 01:30 PM   #10
tigger_643
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive sedan

No offence but... duplication on the same topic?
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1514909
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 03:13 PM   #11
FastF30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i xdrive Msport Mbrake

Garage List
Not a fan of the front end... limited room for the turbos.. doesn't look like you will be able to upgrade.... the intake, IC, exhaust is very restrictive... They ran a 12.12 with FBO/tune and 92octane gas in the stinger!... felt they could break into the 11's!... on 92octane!... but costlier than FBOs for a F30....Hmmm

Last edited by FastF30; 07-16-2018 at 05:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2018, 03:38 PM   #12
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I think it's far better looking than the Stinger, both inside and out. A mild drop, proper offset wheels, going shadow-line on the exterior chrome could really set the car off. It's definitely one of the nicer looking $40-50K sedans out right now. It desparetely needs some sort of small front lip spoiler though as the front end is a bit high off the ground. If I were in the market for a mid-priced sport-luxury, I wouldn't rule it out.

It should be a bit quicker/faster/better handling than the Stinger as it's about 200lbs lighter. That means 12.7s@111mph or so out of the box.
      07-17-2018, 12:10 AM   #13
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I love these uninformed "opinions." While I wouldn't want a Stinger, the G70 is a completely different car. Yes, KIA borrowed the C2 platform from the G70 to make the Stinger, but make no mistake, the G70 was the original goal for the C2 platform. The G70 uses lighter parts and weighs 200-300 lbs less than the Stinger. It uses a completely different interior with no visibly shared parts, and the exterior sheet metal is obviously completely different. The G70 is also smaller than the Stinger and the weight distribution is a tiny bit better, though both cars are close to 50/50.

Calling the G70 a rebadged Stinger shows a fundamental lack of understanding of what rebadging is and which car is actually the primary reason the platform was developed. If the G70 hadn't been made, the Stinger wouldn't exist. The Stinger happened to release first because Genesis spent much more time developing the G70.

Initial reviews show that while the Stinger wasn't tuned properly to take it to its limits, the G70 was. Some cars you can tell were made with the fundamental suspension and steering tuning done and the G70 seems like one of those cars. The Genesis G70 has a real clutch type LSD, that alone shows you that Genesis is serious about performance. It's a shame there's no manual option in the V6 model, but it looks like BMW won't have any by the time the G20 is released, so at least it's something.

We also know the engine is also much more powerful than the current B58. The G20 M340i will actually be needed for BMW to compete with Hyundai's 3.3t.

I've spent a lot of time in much more expensive cars and it's refreshing to see something new. When the Infiniti G35 coupe came out, it had great driving dynamics and exterior styling, but the interior was terrible. It looks like the G70 is a reincarnation of the G35 coupe but with a competitive interior to BMW. Let's be honest, BMW interiors are currently the bottom of the German luxury barrel. Better than Acura or Infiniti, but not as good as Audi or MB or even Lexus. The G70 probably slots in right above the F30 but below the new G20 or A4/C class.

In the end, though, badge snobbery will win out. People who have never driven, seen, or touched the G70 will say it's a POS simply to keep their fragile egos in check. You drive a BMW! A brand that has completely lost sight of the plot. Completely lost the trademark BMW steering. Completely lost the trademark enthusiasts suspension tuning. Completely lost the manual transmission. The Giulia is a far better driving car, and it looks like even the G70 might be better or at least very close. That doesn't matter though, because it's got a Genesis badge or an Alfa badge.

Brand loyalty is one of the worst things that can happen to any car enthusiast. You will miss out on a lot of fun cars and new experiences by dismissing cars you've never driven.
Appreciate 1
JBH661235.50
      07-17-2018, 12:34 AM   #14
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger_643 View Post
No offence but... duplication on the same topic?
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1514909
Reviews were embargoed up until yesturday so I thought I would share a post on it with info about how the car drives.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 06:06 AM   #15
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
I love these uninformed "opinions." While I wouldn't want a Stinger, the G70 is a completely different car. Yes, KIA borrowed the C2 platform from the G70 to make the Stinger, but make no mistake, the G70 was the original goal for the C2 platform. The G70 uses lighter parts and weighs 200-300 lbs less than the Stinger. It uses a completely different interior with no visibly shared parts, and the exterior sheet metal is obviously completely different. The G70 is also smaller than the Stinger and the weight distribution is a tiny bit better, though both cars are close to 50/50.

Calling the G70 a rebadged Stinger shows a fundamental lack of understanding of what rebadging is and which car is actually the primary reason the platform was developed. If the G70 hadn't been made, the Stinger wouldn't exist. The Stinger happened to release first because Genesis spent much more time developing the G70.

Initial reviews show that while the Stinger wasn't tuned properly to take it to its limits, the G70 was. Some cars you can tell were made with the fundamental suspension and steering tuning done and the G70 seems like one of those cars. The Genesis G70 has a real clutch type LSD, that alone shows you that Genesis is serious about performance. It's a shame there's no manual option in the V6 model, but it looks like BMW won't have any by the time the G20 is released, so at least it's something.

We also know the engine is also much more powerful than the current B58. The G20 M340i will actually be needed for BMW to compete with Hyundai's 3.3t.

I've spent a lot of time in much more expensive cars and it's refreshing to see something new. When the Infiniti G35 coupe came out, it had great driving dynamics and exterior styling, but the interior was terrible. It looks like the G70 is a reincarnation of the G35 coupe but with a competitive interior to BMW. Let's be honest, BMW interiors are currently the bottom of the German luxury barrel. Better than Acura or Infiniti, but not as good as Audi or MB or even Lexus. The G70 probably slots in right above the F30 but below the new G20 or A4/C class.

In the end, though, badge snobbery will win out. People who have never driven, seen, or touched the G70 will say it's a POS simply to keep their fragile egos in check. You drive a BMW! A brand that has completely lost sight of the plot. Completely lost the trademark BMW steering. Completely lost the trademark enthusiasts suspension tuning. Completely lost the manual transmission. The Giulia is a far better driving car, and it looks like even the G70 might be better or at least very close. That doesn't matter though, because it's got a Genesis badge or an Alfa badge.

Brand loyalty is one of the worst things that can happen to any car enthusiast. You will miss out on a lot of fun cars and new experiences by dismissing cars you've never driven.
The engine isn't atop Wards best engine list like the BMW engines are year after year.. lets not fantasize.. its probably a good powerplant but its still likely a bit short

Its obviously not a POS
Look they got our guy Biermann but it takes more than one M-division engineer working day & night to copy a whole winning division

I mean it deserves a testdrive tho and I will look into one AGAIN as I usually do for these cars
but the last time I was at a Hyundai dealer, the "snobbery" as you call it (from them lol) cause them not to give me a testdrive of a Genesis
ridiculous really how you can try to sell a car without a proper testdrive
when I go to my BMW dealer, 5 minutes in I am testdriving what I ask for

So I guess what I am saying is.. its everything ok?
Reputation, engine, chassis, customer experience, aftermarket, fanbase/forum, yada yada
They have a high wall to climb I think what I'm stating is just what most of us bimmers already know intuitively
They have a lot to prove to deserve spending $50-70,000+ on

Oh and the rims.. no like..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 07:15 AM   #16
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:

Both the g70 and stinger are interesting cars, and I'm glad that Hyundai has released a solid, affordable sport sedan platform in the current automotive market that's flooded with boring, ugly crossovers.

Fundamentally though, the g70 and stinger are very similar. I don't care which came first, or which model represents the initial concept for which the platform was developed. Clearly the g70 is nicer, as genesis is the luxury division.

I disagree that bmw interiors are the bottom of the German pack. I actually perform the relatively simple, functionally sound bmw interiors over MB and Audi. They can keep their shiny bits and fancy distractions.

Also, it amazes me when people critique brand bias on a site that's for brand enthusiasts. It is named Bimmerpost after all, so is it such a shock that many here favor bmw models. If you want to push Hyundai or whatever here, that's fine, but expect some push back.
Appreciate 2
JamesWWIII2932.00
goj2253.00
      07-17-2018, 11:08 AM   #17
LMK5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i Imperial Bloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Both the g70 and stinger are interesting cars, and I'm glad that Hyundai has released a solid, affordable sport sedan platform in the current automotive market that's flooded with boring, ugly crossovers.

Fundamentally though, the g70 and stinger are very similar. I don't care which came first, or which model represents the initial concept for which the platform was developed. Clearly the g70 is nicer, as genesis is the luxury division.

I disagree that bmw interiors are the bottom of the German pack. I actually perform the relatively simple, functionally sound bmw interiors over MB and Audi. They can keep their shiny bits and fancy distractions.

Also, it amazes me when people critique brand bias on a site that's for brand enthusiasts. It is named Bimmerpost after all, so is it such a shock that many here favor bmw models. If you want to push Hyundai or whatever here, that's fine, but expect some push back.
To me the most important part of the interior is the seats. I find the BMW sport seats much more comfortable than Audi's or MB's. The A4 interior didn't wow me like it does others but the C300 interior is downright opulent if you like that sort of thing.
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      07-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #18
Mr. Tasty
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 335i Mperformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
It’s a nice looking car for people that don’t like to push beyond 7/10ths or so (based on Car and Driver reviews). Love the quilted leather interior. The infotainment screen doesn’t look any more tacked-on than a BMW or MB.

Solid option for people wanting 5-series size for 20k less, or however much cheaper it is. I wouldn’t push a 5-series beyond 7/10ths either, anyway. Probably going to be more reliable and less trouble than a BMW too.

Bottom line is I hope competition like this pushes BMW to up its game either with higher quality or lower price. Competition is good for consumers in the end.
Isn't the G70 supposed to compete with the 3-series, G80 and Stinger GT competes with the 5-series?

G70 curb weight is around 3500-3700 lbs, while the G80/ Stinger are around 4000-4100 lbs
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #19
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Let's be honest, BMW interiors are currently the bottom of the German luxury barrel.

You drive a BMW! A brand that has completely lost sight of the plot. Completely lost the trademark BMW steering. Completely lost the trademark enthusiasts suspension tuning. Completely lost the manual transmission.
Let’s be honest, that’s one person’s opinion, not some indisputable fact. As for me (and I’m guessing many others), I don’t need my interior to look like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise, I need it to look purposeful and allow me to focus on the most important task when operating a motor vehicle...driving.

And as far as that driving experience goes, my F32 has very responsive steering and suspension, and the days of a manual transmission being mandatory for an enthusiast’s car are long gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Oh, look at that...there’s at least one other person who doesn’t think BMW interiors are bottom of the barrel. It’s almost as though taste in design is a subjective thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 12:45 PM   #20
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Seems like they did a good job with it.

That being said it's not on my list of considerations
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 12:51 PM   #21
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:

What car do you own that you're basing your rant on?

Perspective is key here. You're comparing the f30 to cars released a half a decade or more later. I feel bad for those who have to deal with your doomsday/pessimistic perspective on a regular basis.

Car and driver actually ranked the F30 pre LCI as the best in class for the first 3+ years of its life despite its flaws
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 02:06 PM   #22
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
The engine isn't atop Wards best engine list like the BMW engines are year after year.. lets not fantasize.. its probably a good powerplant but its still likely a bit short

Its obviously not a POS
Look they got our guy Biermann but it takes more than one M-division engineer working day & night to copy a whole winning division

I mean it deserves a testdrive tho and I will look into one AGAIN as I usually do for these cars
but the last time I was at a Hyundai dealer, the "snobbery" as you call it (from them lol) cause them not to give me a testdrive of a Genesis
ridiculous really how you can try to sell a car without a proper testdrive
when I go to my BMW dealer, 5 minutes in I am testdriving what I ask for

So I guess what I am saying is.. its everything ok?
Reputation, engine, chassis, customer experience, aftermarket, fanbase/forum, yada yada
They have a high wall to climb I think what I'm stating is just what most of us bimmers already know intuitively
They have a lot to prove to deserve spending $50-70,000+ on

Oh and the rims.. no like..
The 3.3t in the Stinger actually bumped the BMW B58 motor off of Ward's 10 best list. So... yeah.

"In the rear-wheel-drive Stinger, the 3.3L V-6 is quiet and smooth at idle but willing to bellow like a big V-8 under hard throttle," Wards wrote. According to the publication, it bumped the BMW B58 turbocharged inline six-cylinder engine from the list.
Appreciate 0