F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Weird transmission fault codes / gas pedal stops responding, please help
proTUNING Freaks

11-27-2020, 06:17 PM   #1
alexjustdoit
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Weird transmission fault codes / gas pedal stops responding, please help

Recently bought a 2013 335i automatic that seemed to be in immaculate condition. Lot of maintenance, guy took detailed notes on what he did / at what mileage, which parts had been replaced, etc etc. All seemed good.

Couple times now the gas pedal stopped responding while on the freeway while in sport shifting mode, until I switched back to regular / or switched out then back into sport shifting. When it happens, I hear the gas let off, and pressing the pedal down further does nothing (no revving of rpms, no acceleration). Thought I would scan for fault codes to see whats up (first time doing this).

I got a few codes, and I've been googling, but I still don't really know what I'm looking at here.

DME active codes

1D2008 - map thermostat: clamped open (seems like it may be a temp sensor issue? needs replacing?)

Transmission active codes

421722 - unknown (Google says: "DME/DDE interface: Forced upshift due to thermal engine protection request or signal invalid (switch status, warm-up, powertrain, 0x3FB)"

Also, this one went away after clearing codes, but shouldnt that mean it should now show up under inactive? it just disappeared altogether. maybe it will pop up again, but my understanding was that inactive codes were past problems, so wouldnt this still show up as an inactive code now? my other "inactive" codes still show up after a clear using MHD.

CF2DE2 - unknown (Google has 3 diff results for "signal invalid, transmitter DME / DDE" with it either being drive motor temp, drivetrain data, or drivetrain data 2)

I googled these two, but basically didn't understand what I was reading... What should I do about this? What should I look out for going forward? I'll have to find some time to take the car into the shop, but it would put myself at ease in the mean time to know what I'm working with here, how serious it is, and whether it's related to my intermittent gas pedal issue.

I don't need to worry about inactive codes right? I cleared the codes and then these active codes came back up, but side question: if I cleared the codes, why would the inactive codes resurface?

Last edited by alexjustdoit; 11-27-2020 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 11:57 AM   #2
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjustdoit View Post
Recently bought a 2013 335i automatic that seemed to be in immaculate condition. Lot of maintenance, guy took detailed notes on what he did / at what mileage, which parts had been replaced, etc etc. All seemed good.

Couple times now the gas pedal stopped responding while on the freeway while in sport shifting mode, until I switched back to regular / or switched out then back into sport shifting. When it happens, I hear the gas let off, and pressing the pedal down further does nothing (no revving of rpms, no acceleration). Thought I would scan for fault codes to see whats up (first time doing this).

I got a few codes, and I've been googling, but I still don't really know what I'm looking at here.

DME active codes

1D2008 - map thermostat: clamped open (seems like it may be a temp sensor issue? needs replacing?)

421722 - unknown (Google says: "DME/DDE interface: Forced upshift due to thermal engine protection request or signal invalid (switch status, warm-up, powertrain, 0x3FB)"

Also, this one went away after clearing codes, but shouldnt that mean it should now show up under inactive? it just disappeared altogether. maybe it will pop up again, but my understanding was that inactive codes were past problems, so wouldnt this still show up as an inactive code now? my other "inactive" codes still show up after a clear using MHD.

CF2DE2 - unknown (Google has 3 diff results for "signal invalid, transmitter DME / DDE" with it either being drive motor temp, drivetrain data, or drivetrain data 2)

I googled these two, but basically didn't understand what I was reading... What should I do about this? What should I look out for going forward? I'll have to find some time to take the car into the shop, but it would put myself at ease in the mean time to know what I'm working with here, how serious it is, and whether it's related to my intermittent gas pedal issue.

I don't need to worry about inactive codes right? I cleared the codes and then these active codes came back up, but side question: if I cleared the codes, why would the inactive codes resurface?
These cars are drive by wire (i.e., no physical throttle cable), so its possible you have an issue with the pedal assembly itself (what is sending the signal), the wiring, or the DME. You have some weird codes that might suggest a DME issue, but its really impossible to tell, especially when changing modes fixes the problem (at least temporarily).

When you clear a code it does not go to inactive code, it gets cleared completely until it is triggered to come back. Just because a code is inactive doesnt mean you don't need to worry about it. If its inactive you can think of it as just that - not actively causing a problem, but you still shouldn't ignore it. If all was well, you would have no codes at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 10:58 AM   #3
pearlpower
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:

DME active codes

This is an older but still relevant post. Curious if the OP identified the issue? I have the same issue/codes on my 13' 328i. It sits on the side as I have several vehicles. I suspect wiring damage from a rodent or rabbit. I replaced the outside temp sensor as 2 weeks ago from getting chewed through.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #4
ctt300
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

You may want to check the coolant level, as I just had my car go into limp mode due to that and it had the code about the thermostat being stuck open. I also replaced the coolant temp sensor just to be on the safe side.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 02:50 AM   #5
alexjustdoit
Private
Rep

Yeah, I took it to another shop for a second opinion and they found a pretty bad coolant leak. First shop said thermostat was bad and wanted me to replace it (at an absurd cost too) and said something about because I had topped up the coolant with water that I had adjusted the boiling point way lower and therefore it was boiling off super fast but I wasn't convinced. After fixing coolant leak and making sure to keep it topped up has fixed this issue. Now if only I could fix the other issues. Great car, but constant weird problems.
      01-19-2022, 02:43 PM   #6
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I took it to another shop for a second opinion and they found a pretty bad coolant leak. First shop said thermostat was bad and wanted me to replace it (at an absurd cost too) and said something about because I had topped up the coolant with water that I had adjusted the boiling point way lower and therefore it was boiling off super fast but I wasn't convinced. After fixing coolant leak and making sure to keep it topped up has fixed this issue. Now if only I could fix the other issues. Great car, but constant weird problems.
Did you ever fix that 421722/unresponsive throttle issue? Mines done that occasionally for years but now it's doing it daily. Pulling over and clearing codes fixes it temporarily, but not sure where to start in regards to replacing stuff.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 07:19 PM   #7
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post
Did you ever fix that 421722/unresponsive throttle issue? Mines done that occasionally for years but now it's doing it daily. Pulling over and clearing codes fixes it temporarily, but not sure where to start in regards to replacing stuff.

Thanks!
Perhaps diagnosing the problem with the codes, instead of clearing them, will get you through this.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 12:20 PM   #8
alexjustdoit
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i View Post

Thanks!
It was fixed as part of the coolant issue.
      02-09-2022, 12:21 PM   #9
alexjustdoit
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
Perhaps diagnosing the problem with the codes, instead of clearing them, will get you through this.
That's what I was doing - I was taking it to shops and showing them the codes, but I had to clear them so that I could actually drive it to the shop.
      03-27-2022, 08:07 AM   #10
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It was fixed as part of the coolant issue.
Ironically, mine was fixed as well in regards to a coolant issue. It was just slightly low in the overflow tank, so I topped it off and that seems to have resolved that issue. Weird..
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 04:41 PM   #11
peteypebbles
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 335i

theromast

hey i was having the same issue with my car i was wondering if you changed out the whole thermostat and did that fix your issue with the power loss and no throttle response
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 06:46 AM   #12
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypebbles View Post
hey i was having the same issue with my car i was wondering if you changed out the whole thermostat and did that fix your issue with the power loss and no throttle response
Yes that's what it usually is
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0