F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Pure Stage 2 Dyno N55 335i
Studio RSR

05-30-2021, 09:11 PM   #23
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadysu View Post
Yep i’m aware, another reason why i wasn’t happy with this tune, i’m on a single map only, and that happens to be a flame map as well, before i’d run one for flames for burbles and then one for just performence which i enjoyed a lot. hoping i can work that out with my next tuner
Awesome. Please keep updating as you progress.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 02:06 PM   #24
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkes View Post
There a MANY other ways of tuning a car that those. The "real" tuners use WinOLS as far as I am aware.
I know there are other options, thats why i said "typically" lol. Its very rare that someone on the forums is tuned using something other than the big 3.
Appreciate 1
harkes1075.50
      05-31-2021, 05:08 PM   #25
PUREF30cjz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 335i xdrive

Hey there brother I still am tweaking my tune with the help of David Shoup in my opinion hes very hard working and knows his stuff. But we have very similar mods

Stage 2 pure turbo with the latest wheel upgrade
Pure turbo inlet
AFE magnum intake
Stage 2 dorshe HPFP
NGK iridium plugs gapped at .020
Wagner evo 2 comp intercooler
VRSF highflow catted downpipe
CTS charge pipe
DV+

I am limited to 91 octane here as luck would have it and mine like yours is daily driven. So i have bought a meth kit as it seems the easiest way to get more octane into the system. Currently I have been working with David and we are round 19psi on pump its on the ragged edge and we may back it off a little there are some corrections but the plugs look great no signs of detonation. Many get paranoid of corrections but they happen even with a stock system as I have logged a few totally stock cars and they even get timing corrections. I was always trying to get zero but it seems thats almost impossible maybe with the meth or E50-E85 but not on 91 pee water highly doubtful.

Currently Im using MHD but I hear good things about Ecutek and was considering changing over to them if thats what your running can you tell me a bit about it? I have XHP stage 4 as well and love it and I have the Xdelete but personally i like my AWD i spin too much in RWD and i originally bought it cause they said we could use a sport mode like 80/20 split or custom but thats only on the E series so misleading. I feel I am not making as much as you being I have to use 91 versus your 94 but I do need to get to a dyno and see where im at.

Thanks following

Last edited by PUREF30cjz; 06-01-2021 at 05:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 02:58 AM   #26
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep
Drives: M135i, E39 M5, NSX and AE86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335icjz View Post
Hey there brother I still am tweaking my tune with the help of David Shoup in my opinion hes very hard working and knows his stuff. But we have very similar mods

Stage 2 pure turbo with the latest wheel upgrade
Pure turbo inlet
AFE magnum intake
Stage 2 dorshe HPFP
NGK iridium plugs gapped at .020
Wagner evo 2 comp intercooler
Wagner highflow catted downpipe
CTS charge pipe
DV+

I am limited to 91 octane here as luck would have it and mine like yours is daily driven. So i have bought a meth kit as it seems the easiest way to get more octane into the system. Currently I have been working with David and we are round 19psi on pump its on the ragged edge and we may back it off a little there are some corrections but the plugs look great no signs of detonation. Many get paranoid of corrections but they happen even with a stock system as I have logged a few totally stock cars and they even get timing corrections. I was always trying to get zero but it seems thats almost impossible maybe with the meth or E50-E85 but not on 91 pee water highly doubtful.

Currently Im using MHD but I hear good things about Ecutek and was considering changing over to them if thats what your running can you tell me a bit about it? I have XHP stage 4 as well and love it and I have the Xdelete but personally i like my AWD i spin too much in RWD and i originally bought it cause they said we could use a sport mode like 80/20 split or custom but thats only on the E series so misleading. I feel I am not making as much as you being I have to use 91 versus your 94 but I do need to get to a dyno and see where im at.

Thanks following
Changing over to ECUTEK is pointless unless you change your tuner also in my opinion. ECUTEK has some awesome features for map changing but your car can be tuned just as well on MHD to my knowledge.

Mind sharing some logs??
      06-01-2021, 08:52 AM   #27
Shadysu
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Update: I got the car back yesterday from the shop, they told me they detuned and it wasn't bugging anymore, Picked up, when I finally got around to do doing a pull it, 2nd gear I can shit at 6k, then 3rd gear 5k and so on

I'm waiting to see how fast my swhop can get me the HPFP or the PMI, whichever is fastest i'll get it in so I can finally get my car running up again.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 04:10 PM   #28
PUREF30cjz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Changing over to ECUTEK is pointless unless you change your tuner also in my opinion. ECUTEK has some awesome features for map changing but your car can be tuned just as well on MHD to my knowledge.

Mind sharing some logs??
Yeah I have a recent log here it is not the coolest of days, outside temps were in the low 90s and this is a 3rd gear pull traction off in sport+ from 2000-6900 rpms. I just got done installing new NGKs 1 step colder gapped too .018, have also installed new injectors, new BMW coils, and new O2s.

The car is going to my indy to have the oil pan gasket changed and when its there hes going to install ACL race bearings and new rod bolts as well. I currently have a high flow catted downpipe but I also have a catless downpipe and was thinking of throwing it in when he does the pan gasket. But I have heard conflicting stories of if its worth it .... thoughts?

https://datazap.me/u/cjz0220/log-162...og=0&data=3-13
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 04:35 PM   #29
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I have a recent log here it is not the coolest of days, outside temps were in the low 90s and this is a 3rd gear pull traction off in sport+ from 2000-6900 rpms. I just got done installing new NGKs 1 step colder gapped too .018, have also installed new injectors, new BMW coils, and new O2s.

The car is going to my indy to have the oil pan gasket changed and when its there hes going to install ACL race bearings and new rod bolts as well. I currently have a high flow catted downpipe but I also have a catless downpipe and was thinking of throwing it in when he does the pan gasket. But I have heard conflicting stories of if its worth it .... thoughts?

https://datazap.me/u/cjz0220/log-162...og=0&data=3-13
Are you at high altitude? Your ambient pressure is quite low. The timing targets also look very low but you still arent able to sustain them and timing goes negative on one cylinder. So, you need more octane, but i think you knew that lol. I am also a little surprised it takes you 2000 rpm (2k-4k) to build boost. Altitude could be a factor.

Which catted DP? Not all are created equal. The gains on stock turbo are pretty small for a good catted vs catless but given how slow your turbo seems to spool there might be some real gains there, if you want to deal with all the drawbacks to catless.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 05:04 PM   #30
PUREF30cjz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
Are you at high altitude? Your ambient pressure is quite low. The timing targets also look very low but you still arent able to sustain them and timing goes negative on one cylinder. So, you need more octane, but i think you knew that lol. I am also a little surprised it takes you 2000 rpm (2k-4k) to build boost. Altitude could be a factor.

Which catted DP? Not all are created equal. The gains on stock turbo are pretty small for a good catted vs catless but given how slow your turbo seems to spool there might be some real gains there, if you want to deal with all the drawbacks to catless.
Yeah I know octane is a problem here and you nailed it I am at 4700 ft above sea level which is always a fun problem to deal with. I also am running the Pure stage 2 turbo which takes a bit longer when I was on stock turbo that thing spooled immediately.

I am currently running the VRSF catted downpipe and have a VRSF non catted as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 05:13 PM   #31
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I know octane is a problem here and you nailed it I am at 4700 ft above sea level which is always a fun problem to deal with. I also am running the Pure stage 2 turbo which takes a bit longer when I was on stock turbo that thing spooled immediately.

I am currently running the VRSF catted downpipe and have a VRSF non catted as well.
If you are comfortable with DIY on the DP swap and dont mind the smell, etc, i would say give it a shot. It may not net you big increases in peak HP but the spool might be improved, especially given you are fighting altitude, improving the drivability aspect. If you do decide to do that, capture a few (2-3) logs just like that one for the before/after comparison. Good data to have.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 05:23 PM   #32
PUREF30cjz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
If you are comfortable with DIY on the DP swap and dont mind the smell, etc, i would say give it a shot. It may not net you big increases in peak HP but the spool might be improved, especially given you are fighting altitude, improving the drivability aspect. If you do decide to do that, capture a few (2-3) logs just like that one for the before/after comparison. Good data to have.
Yeah I havent decided yet whether its worth the downsides I figure that my MHD is cancelling the code in the car as I never get a code but I have it set that its running catless. When I say running catted it throws a cat inefficent code.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 09:34 PM   #33
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

Looking at the datalog I would say that these guys are very capable. WG control is some of the best I have ever seen on PWG and they do a proper load based tune from what I can tell.

There is always the discussion of boost vs ign timing. I would lower boost until I can run 8° timing but that is just personal preference. Car might make more power running higher boost and less timing - just not as efficiently.

Do you mind sharing the contact details to this tuner?

PS: I am running de-cat and has been for the last 5 years. Occasionally I get a whiff of "rotten eggs" or what ever people say it smells like. The positive trade off is a great sounding car
      06-02-2021, 12:09 AM   #34
PUREF30cjz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Looking at the datalog I would say that these guys are very capable. WG control is some of the best I have ever seen on PWG and they do a proper load based tune from what I can tell.

There is always the discussion of boost vs ign timing. I would lower boost until I can run 8° timing but that is just personal preference. Car might make more power running higher boost and less timing - just not as efficiently.

Do you mind sharing the contact details to this tuner?

PS: I am running de-cat and has been for the last 5 years. Occasionally I get a whiff of "rotten eggs" or what ever people say it smells like. The positive trade off is a great sounding car
I dont mind at all David Sboup is the tuner and hes amazing knows his stuff. Sometimes he will try and explain it all but most goes over my head as its quite different than using hp tuners which im good using that. Anyway we are goin to bring boost down just a little on next revision and probably leave it alone til the meth is in. I have the system just havent had the time to do it.

I may try and go catless and see how i like it ...... i guess i can always go back if i dont.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #35
Shadysu
Private
Rep

About to order in the PMI kit, my shop recommended I still upgrade my HPFP even if I'm still going with PMI, as my HPFP is pretty worn, and that when I run out of meth up top I could still need the hpfp use.

Now I was under the impression I only needed the PMI kit as that would make the HPFP redundant, or does it still use it lightly? I don't mind buying both HPFP/kit but if I don't need it I'd prefer not to lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 12:56 PM   #36
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
About to order in the PMI kit, my shop recommended I still upgrade my HPFP even if I'm still going with PMI, as my HPFP is pretty worn, and that when I run out of meth up top I could still need the hpfp use.

Now I was under the impression I only needed the PMI kit as that would make the HPFP redundant, or does it still use it lightly? I don't mind buying both HPFP/kit but if I don't need it I'd prefer not to lol.
"HPFP is pretty worn" makes no sense at all. It's a mechanical fuel pump, and if its worn, you would have bigger issues. It doesn't wear out just by running more boost or something. If you are going to use the meth for both fueling and octane, you shouldn't need the HPFP. Just consider what meth % you are going to run.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 06:05 PM   #37
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

Quote:

Sounds like your shop is milking you for labor charges.

Granted there is a bit of labor overlap for PI and hpfp, but for a ps2 both would be major overkill.

Last edited by 435gc; 06-02-2021 at 08:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
n55david1295.50
      06-02-2021, 07:10 PM   #38
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:

bro, you need a new shop.
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 07:29 PM   #39
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Shop is taking you for a ride
You won't run out of meth up top if it's set up correctly, if you run out of meth up top and you're tuned for meth, you have big problems real quick... the hpfp isn't gonna save you in any case, pump gas, no need for hpfp, if you ever plan to use E then you may as well get it done for future proofing since labor over laps
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 07:53 PM   #40
Shadysu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussiwillow View Post
You won't run out of meth up top if it's set up correctly, if you run out of meth up top and you're tuned for meth, you have big problems real quick... the hpfp isn't gonna save you in any case, pump gas, no need for hpfp, if you ever plan to use E then you may as well get it done for future proofing since labor over laps
I do plan to run E blends here and there, and I a big part of it was future proofing as well.

https://www.parkautomotorsports.ca/collections/snow-performance/products/stage-2-5-boost-cooler-s55-n54-n55-direct-port-water-methanol-injection-kit

This is the PMI kit i plan to go with

And what would cause me to “run out of meth up top” was kinda confused about that part

Also i’ve had a long relationship and never had any issues with the shop i use, i’ll definitely ask them about this.

Thank you all
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 08:07 PM   #41
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I do plan to run E blends here and there, and I a big part of it was future proofing as well.

https://www.parkautomotorsports.ca/c...-injection-kit

This is the PMI kit i plan to go with

And what would cause me to "run out of meth up top" was kinda confused about that part

Also i've had a long relationship and never had any issues with the shop i use, i'll definitely ask them about this.

Thank you all
I'm about to go port meth injection myself, that kit is ok, there's better controllers and pumps you can use however; just do your research, make sure you get the correct nozzle size for your goals

Google n54 port meth injection and check out people's set ups, more modded n54 cars than anything g and "similar" platform cross over, also go check out spool street forums and ask around there as well

I'm debating using a meth compatible fuel injector set up instead of nozzles, so I'm still in the air but it can get pretty damn expensive over entry level kits, make sure your controller has outputs for wiring in a fail safe
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 09:46 PM   #42
harkes
Colonel
China
Rep

I am using meth both for octane and volume running stock HPFP. Working perfectly. Running dual CP nozzle - no issues. I can highly recommend the Torqbyte CM5-LT. It is a bit of work setting up but after this my setup has run for 2 years without any sort of maintenance/tweaking needed.

I might go as far as recommending against PI for meth.
More failure points
No proof of unequal distribution running just CP injection
MUCH more expensive if you find the need for going with bigger/smaller nozzles
      06-02-2021, 10:08 PM   #43
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
I am using meth both for octane and volume running stock HPFP. Working perfectly. Running dual CP nozzle - no issues. I can highly recommend the Torqbyte CM5-LT. It is a bit of work setting up but after this my setup has run for 2 years without any sort of maintenance/tweaking needed.

I might go as far as recommending against PI for meth.
More failure points
No proof of unequal distribution running just CP injection
MUCH more expensive if you find the need for going with bigger/smaller nozzles
The cm5 controller is the way to go, very nice set up, it's really hard with the n55 community because I feel there's a small niche of people who actually wanna go beyond a tune and charge pipe, lol.

Some guys in the n54 community were switching from charge pipe to port injection because cylinder 1 and 6 were doing weird timing pulling, some big horsepower cars made a lot more power through port injection but that's another story, better atomization etc but too many variables.

Most port injection guys with proper set ups have been maintenance free as well, but as you said, there is more to go wrong ultimately.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 10:42 PM   #44
Shadysu
Private
Rep

Quote:
The cm5 controller is the way to go, very nice set up, it's really hard with the n55 community because I feel there's a small niche of people who actually wanna go beyond a tune and charge pipe, lol.

Some guys in the n54 community were switching from charge pipe to port injection because cylinder 1 and 6 were doing weird timing pulling, some big horsepower cars made a lot more power through port injection but that's another story, better atomization etc but too many variables.

Most port injection guys with proper set ups have been maintenance free as well, but as you said, there is more to go wrong ultimately.
Yeah I'm aware that there are more failure points, somewhat used to that (Did a lot of custom water cooling for PC's aha) But it's something im willing to do and learn as well,
]

I've been trying to find people who have used that same PMI kit but haven't had much luck. I'm hoping I won't have to change much from what comes from the kit for what I want to run.
Appreciate 0