F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > EGR Recall - 335d
proTUNING Freaks

10-13-2018, 04:07 PM   #155
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddy1 View Post
Mine is booked in with Stratstone BMW Silverlink for 29th October, no mention of delays or any issues... fingers crossed it’s a smooth process, although I suspect it won’t be!
No courtesy car I assume? I think that's where the initial delays are coming from. The next one comes when they discover it needs replacing.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 04:11 PM   #156
Kiddy1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
No courtesy car I assume? I think that's where the initial delays are coming from. The next one comes when they discover it needs replacing.
I didn’t bother asking for one as I had a couple of days booked off work and have access to another car... then work told me I need to be in, so I now need a courtesy car. I’ll be popping in to the garage tomorrow to persuade them 😬
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 04:27 PM   #157
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddy1 View Post
Mine is booked in with Stratstone BMW Silverlink for 29th October, no mention of delays or any issues... fingers crossed it’s a smooth process, although I suspect it won’t be!
Mine was in this week and in the first instance what they seem to be doing is just a check to determine the condition of the affected parts. If (like mine) they're deemed not to be an immediate problem or safety issue you're sent on your way albeit the parts will be replaced at a later date; I'm still waiting to find out exactly when that will be but I suspect months rather than weeks given the apparent shortage of parts.

If however there's an immediate problem I believe they keep your car until the affected parts have been replaced and you get a courtesy or hire car in the meantime.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 03:45 AM   #158
Bigyin1314
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F36 435d

Mine was checked on Wednesday. They took everything off, cleaned it and sent me on my way stating that as soon as the parts become available they’ll get in touch to book me back in the get the parts changed over.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 04:41 AM   #159
Boisee
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 330D

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigyin1314 View Post
Mine was checked on Wednesday. They took everything off, cleaned it and sent me on my way stating that as soon as the parts become available they’ll get in touch to book me back in the get the parts changed over.
Mine was the same in Thursday cleaned and sent on my way. I asked if it was an original part and would it be replaced later, they were non committal but said yes it's possible. I'll just wait and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 03:11 AM   #160
gds54
Rep
Drives: Still looking

Mine was in yesterday. As above, cleaned and refitted. I was told some gaskets were replaced where the parts had been removed. I asked if it would be back in later to get the new design fitted, was told definite no, that this was the end of the matter for my vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #161
MetzgerMeister
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

In Ireland, I received notification of this yesterday for my 2013 330d.

Listed in the symptoms section is a few things I've experienced but mainly "a whistling noise from the engine compartment". This is something I have had since I bought the car and I brought it to both the dealership I bought it from and a closer one to be told by both that it's "normal".

It only happens under load and is a loud hissing noise which to me, says that there's a leak somewhere.

I'm hoping that it's sorted with this fix otherwise it'll be more money to fork out for a smoke test on a rolling road to see where it's coming from.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 05:08 AM   #162
gds54
Rep
Drives: Still looking

Hissing noise seems to be normal to all 3.0 diesels. Mine hasn't changed in this respect after the "recall" has been carried out.

That said I have been surprised that there has been a noticeable increase in power. Had I paid for a remap I would not be disappointed! This is across the rev range but most noticeable at the bottom and top end. Maybe the EGR was just very gunked up and cleaning it out has made such a difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 06:52 AM   #163
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Just had an update call from the dealer - EGR cooler removed, so signs of leaks or sludge build-up. Apparently the primary focus is a leak in or near the mixing pipe which causes sludge build-up, which then turns to hard carbon, which then causes blockages and other issues.

A detailed inspection of the EGR wasn't carried out as the lack of build-up in the cooler suggests that the EGR will be clear. There's some surface build-up (soot + oil vapour = crumbly oily deposits) inside the inlet manifold, but nothing out of the ordinary for an 80K mile car (which doesn't mean that it's completely clear, just that there's no indication of significant clogging).

Original parts are being refitted with new gaskets and the car will be ready for collection tomorrow.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 07:15 AM   #164
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Just had an update call from the dealer - EGR cooler removed, so signs of leaks or sludge build-up. Apparently the primary focus is a leak in or near the mixing pipe which causes sludge build-up, which then turns to hard carbon, which then causes blockages and other issues.

A detailed inspection of the EGR wasn't carried out as the lack of build-up in the cooler suggests that the EGR will be clear. There's some surface build-up (soot + oil vapour = crumbly oily deposits) inside the inlet manifold, but nothing out of the ordinary for an 80K mile car (which doesn't mean that it's completely clear, just that there's no indication of significant clogging).

Original parts are being refitted with new gaskets and the car will be ready for collection tomorrow.
Is this the interim stage - are they are still going to replace the cooler when they get the parts?

We seem to be getting different messages from different dealers - despite mine being fine, I am expecting a replacement cooler by around December. Yet some seem to have been told that no replacement is needed at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 07:23 AM   #165
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Is this the interim stage - are they are still going to replace the cooler when they get the parts?

We seem to be getting different messages from different dealers - despite mine being fine, I am expecting a replacement cooler by around December. Yet some seem to have been told that no replacement is needed at all.
All I can say is that I've had a lot of conversations with the dealer, and that the answers have varied as time goes by. I get the impression that BMW is evaluating the situation based upon its direct inspections as more and more cars are presented as part of the recall ("it's not a recall, it's a Quality Enhancement !!"...yawn).

Initially it seemed that replacement parts might be fitted at a later date due to availability, but that no longer appears to be the case. Inspected + no signs of any leaks or blockages = refit and forget.

I'm not terribly bothered about that outcome, as BMW has had the chance to inspect the car and I've only lost the use of it fort a couple of days. Now that BMW has inspected the car and identified the exact iteration of EGR cooler fitted to my car, and the OEM manufacturer, they tell me that the parts are on back-order and the car would have been retained for an unknown period of time.

Technically it is still subject to the recall ("it's not..." shh, there there) so if there's a problem at a later date BMW will still be liable.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #166
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
All I can say is that I've had a lot of conversations with the dealer, and that the answers have varied as time goes by. I get the impression that BMW is evaluating the situation based upon its direct inspections as more and more cars are presented as part of the recall ("it's not a recall, it's a Quality Enhancement !!"...yawn).

Initially it seemed that replacement parts might be fitted at a later date due to availability, but that no longer appears to be the case. Inspected + no signs of any leaks or blockages = refit and forget.

I'm not terribly bothered about that outcome, as BMW has had the chance to inspect the car and I've only lost the use of it fort a couple of days. Now that BMW has inspected the car and identified the exact iteration of EGR cooler fitted to my car, and the OEM manufacturer, they tell me that the parts are on back-order and the car would have been retained for an unknown period of time.

Technically it is still subject to the recall ("it's not..." shh, there there) so if there's a problem at a later date BMW will still be liable.
Yep .. and your remap and coding are all still intact
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 10:11 AM   #167
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Yep .. and your remap and coding are all still intact
Unless the dealership has done another unapproved software update (which they categorically agreed they wouldn't do when I checked the car in with the service dept).

I'll know tomorrow when I let it stretch its legs...
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #168
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep

Quote:
Unless the dealership has done another unapproved software update (which they categorically agreed they wouldn't do when I checked the car in with the service dept).

I'll know tomorrow when I let it stretch its legs...
You would hope they haven't if they agreed not to.
If the coding is still in place when you collect it I'd say the remap will be too.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 09:38 AM   #169
MATYAL330XD
MATYAL
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d xdrive

interesting to see different outcomes from different dealers.

mine is in today, waiting to see what they will come up with,

i am surprised that i have been given a new 3 series and been told they will check everything and let me know.

i quit like the replacement car .
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 10:02 AM   #170
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Might be good to list the dealer and outcome to compare
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 12:02 PM   #171
Murphyslaw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw e91 330d

Had mine in at soper lincoln today.
Got a Mini Cooper as a courtesy car with John cooper works styling kit. Bit of fun for a day.
My 63 plate 330d got the egr cleaned and inspected. Told it doesn't need a replacement in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 02:13 PM   #172
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphyslaw View Post
Had mine in at soper lincoln today.
Got a Mini Cooper as a courtesy car with John cooper works styling kit. Bit of fun for a day.
My 63 plate 330d got the egr cleaned and inspected. Told it doesn't need a replacement in the future.
Gotta get me one of those crystal balls....
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 04:01 PM   #173
del330
Rep
Drives: F31 330d Xdrive

My car went in to Sytner Tamworth today for the recall. They had a look and told me that mine is fine and doesn't need replacing. not sure if that is a good thing or not?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #174
Jay1970
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335d X-Drive Touring

Hi
Had my June 2015 335dx inspected couple of weeks ago. Took about 1.5 hours, various parts cleaned and inspected but given the all clear, nothing further to worry about.
All seems a bit random to me in terms of the date ranges in question, as some within that range are being given all clear.
J
      10-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #175
Northernlight76
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport plus

I’m probably being cynical but it seems a bit odd that the cars that went in earlier seem to have had more things replaced to be on the safe side, but now that the parts are scarce then a lot more are being given the all clear with a ‘hoover and polish’ ! I’ve got mine in next week so will see how it goes...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 02:13 AM   #176
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Mine went in yesterday and as per Jay1970 it was ready for collection 1.5 hours later.

And boy was I happy to get it back, the 118d manual courtesy car was the biggest pile of shit I’ve ever driven, worse than the 218d GT on holiday and that really is saying something!
Appreciate 0