F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 320I to a 340I
Extreme Powerhouse

10-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #23
Reiss
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive20d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnismith View Post
I have both, the BMW with MPPSK is louder.
Possibly a dumb question..... is the MPPSK purchasable on the BMW accessories page?

I was looking earlier and they had listed a M Peformance silencer starting from £1.175 upwards? Is that what the MPPSK is or am I having a bald moment?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #24
jamiem1987
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D LCI

My 440i stock car seemed to get a noticably louder / sportier exhaust note after circa 6k miles, i thought it was in my head until a previous post mentioned theirs sounds better after some time. I drove a mppsk and while i’d like the uprated power i do like the civilised approach to the stock sound.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:36 AM   #25
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiem1987 View Post
My 440i stock car seemed to get a noticably louder / sportier exhaust note after circa 6k miles, i thought it was in my head until a previous post mentioned theirs sounds better after some time. I drove a mppsk and while i’d like the uprated power i do like the civilised approach to the stock sound.
I remember back in my teenage years I bought a brand new Citroen C2 VTS (don't laugh it was a decent car for a 19 year old!). I had an aftermarket system installed and it was only marginally louder at first but as it got older and I put more miles on it it definitely sounded meatier.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 01:30 AM   #26
TurboLove
Private
Rep
Drives: White 14' F32

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [0.00]
Congrats Lad, thats amazing make sure you upload pics
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 03:56 AM   #27
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiss View Post
Possibly a dumb question..... is the MPPSK purchasable on the BMW accessories page?

I was looking earlier and they had listed a M Peformance silencer starting from £1.175 upwards? Is that what the MPPSK is or am I having a bald moment?
You probably can although the BMW UK accessories pages are not very well organized.The M Performance Silencer (£1175) you're referring to is just a back box and is not the full MPPSK (which includes the front part of the exhaust and ECU upgrade).

Your best bet is to speak to your dealer as BMW UK web prices typically won't show any discount available. Alternatively some dealers offer them via eBay. BTW if you compare the pics for the Performance Silencer and the MPPSK on those two links, you'll see the difference.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 04:51 AM   #28
Reiss
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
You probably can although the BMW UK accessories pages are not very well organized.The M Performance Silencer (£1175) you're referring to is just a back box and is not the full MPPSK (which includes the front part of the exhaust and ECU upgrade).

Your best bet is to speak to your dealer as BMW UK web prices typically won't show any discount available. Alternatively some dealers offer them via eBay. BTW if you compare the pics for the Performance Silencer and the MPPSK on those two links, you'll see the difference.
Thanks a lot for the information mate!

You're right the BMW UK accessories pages*is quite shocking.
I will definitely speak to my dealer because I believe he had one fitted to his 440i. Plus I get family discounts on all types of stuff for BMW so maybe he will be able to sort me out.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 04:58 AM   #29
WTruter
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 340i W/MPPSK

Dont bother with the MPE. If you want something, go for MPPSK.

Had a mate who got the MPE fitted. Marginal difference in sound.
I had the MPPSK fitted and it makes a big difference.
Not sure how much more "Family" discount you will get as the cheapest prices around (Circa £1700) is already heavily discounted from the RRP of around £2500+.

My personal recommendation, get the car and enjoy it before starting to look at mods.
Its already a big jump up from a 20i.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 05:19 AM   #30
Reiss
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTruter View Post
Dont bother with the MPE. If you want something, go for MPPSK.

Had a mate who got the MPE fitted. Marginal difference in sound.
I had the MPPSK fitted and it makes a big difference.
Not sure how much more "Family" discount you will get as the cheapest prices around (Circa £1700) is already heavily discounted from the RRP of around £2500+.

My personal recommendation, get the car and enjoy it before starting to look at mods.
Its already a big jump up from a 20i.
Anything I do will be into the new year anyway gotta wait for that Christmas bonus to come in the plan was to see how i get on before touching it. I just like to have the idea and information before executing!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 06:08 AM   #31
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

You will love...

The car is a proper Jekyll and Hyde to suit your mood.

Sound, both the soothing, buttery, refinement and the noisier bits above 4K rpm.

Performance, obviously, this is another level from your old car (same here, from 320d). Floor it from any speed and you are past the limit very fast.

Power to get the chassis to actually do something, push the tail out or at least feel the balance swinging.

You will dislike...
It still understeers and the steering is still numb and disconnected. But you are used to that. The understeer may even be worse with a heavier six up front, versus your four. The performance may be around last-gen M3, the chassis most certainly is not.

Other than that...

Use sport + only once you have explored the other modes. Especially in the wet in can be tail happy if provoked - but that's the drivers choice, it's perfectly docile and quick and capable of putting down sensible doses of power (not the handful that some xDrive proponents may lead you to believe).

As the tyres wear and conditions change, the car does change. A couple of weeks ago it was raining and 7 degrees and twice the back end stepped far earlier than I expected. The tyres now have 12k miles on them vs. probably 8k last time we had a cold-ish wet day.

Do you have adaptive suspension - that's an excellent feature that magnifies the difference between comfort and sport.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
ossi1124.00
      10-17-2018, 06:27 AM   #32
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
You will love...

Use sport + only once you have explored the other modes. Especially in the wet in can be tail happy if provoked - but that's the drivers choice, it's perfectly docile and quick and capable of putting down sensible doses of power (not the handful that some xDrive proponents may lead you to believe).

Do you have adaptive suspension - that's an excellent feature that magnifies the difference between comfort and sport.
I second this. Sport + is mostly unnecessary for the road, sport will give you the throttle response you are looking for and just enough Nanny aids to keep you out of the ditch.
At this time of the year, greasy roundabouts can be treacherous if you are silly. However, keeping it in comfort mode I actually find the progressive power delivery much easier to manage when it's wet. The relative lack of low down torque vs my old 330d means that you can keep it going without too much sideways action. Although, who doesn't enjoy a little controlled slide on exit....

Adaptive suspenders are great too. Before I had taken a really extended test drive, I really couldn't see what the fuss was all about. Now I have it, it would be one of the first options down. Oh, that and digital dash... (sorry about that one )
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2018, 07:02 AM   #33
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
I'm sure you can't get MPPSK fitted to post July built cars due to the new petrol particle filter.

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 07:13 AM   #34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

If the mppk is a bit of a stretch for now then get a tuning box asap once run in and nearly 400bhp and 400ft lb
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #35
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
You will love...

The car is a proper Jekyll and Hyde to suit your mood.

Sound, both the soothing, buttery, refinement and the noisier bits above 4K rpm.

Performance, obviously, this is another level from your old car (same here, from 320d). Floor it from any speed and you are past the limit very fast.

Power to get the chassis to actually do something, push the tail out or at least feel the balance swinging.

You will dislike...
It still understeers and the steering is still numb and disconnected. But you are used to that. The understeer may even be worse with a heavier six up front, versus your four. The performance may be around last-gen M3, the chassis most certainly is not.

Other than that...

As the tyres wear and conditions change, the car does change. A couple of weeks ago it was raining and 7 degrees and twice the back end stepped far earlier than I expected. The tyres now have 12k miles on them vs. probably 8k last time we had a cold-ish wet day.

The facelift in 2017 apparently had tweaks that fixed most of the numb and disconnected feeling and handling, like it did on the 3 series the year before. Mine seems to handle just fine, although I didn't drive a pre facelift for a direct comparison.
Appreciate 1