F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Aircon Issue
Studio RSR

04-12-2019, 05:22 AM   #1
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
Aircon Issue

This is general request for advice and although I have an F10 there is more activity/DIY experience on here.....

My aircon is not pushing out cold air - or not cold enough to cool the car when the sun is shining. The symptoms are:

1. No codes showing on Rheingold
  2. 6 Bar pressure showing on Rheingold
  3. Heater fan working normally when the fan speed is manually adjusted.
  4. Heater fan blowing on max when MAX AC is selected
  5. Heater fan not attempting to increase speed to automatically cool the car when desired temperature is set below ambient temperature (other than when selecting MAX AC)
  6. Minor gurgling sound periodically heard from behind dash (assume this is compressor pumping refrigerant through the circuit.

I bought the car second hand in February 2015. The aircon wasn't working then (although I only noticed when the weather warmed up) and was fixed under warranty by fitting a replacement condenser (diags showed no pressure and disabled A/C compressor). In 2016 BMW replaced the condenser again as part of a "quality review".

Any general advice appreciated. The simple solution is to take it to Kwickfit and have them re-gas the system under their "success or refund" policy but given that (on the face of it) there appears to be no loss of pressure I'm reluctant to waste time/money unless this is likely to work.

Thanks for reading and any advice appreciated.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 09:30 AM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Checking the Freon charge and leak test makes sense.

Had my 2012 X3 in shop recently- car was blowing warm air from driver side vents and cool from passenger side. (L-hand drive, I'm in the States) Shop evacuated system, determined charge was quite low and explained this can cause air mixing problems that typically exhibit the R-L cool/warm airflow. I DIY many things but a/c is left to the pros who have proper equipment.

System charged to proper volume and vac was held for 30 minutes and showed no pressure change, I.e. no leaks (or if it was leaking rate was extremely small). Problem solved, all vent air now at 46F.

Seems a evac, fill and leak test are in order as next step in your case. If no leaks then other component(s) May be defective -compressor, etc.

Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #3
tmarshall57
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530d M Sport, E87 118d M

Garage List
Thanks for the quick response, helpful to know of your experience. I'm away without the car for a couple of weeks so I'll have the A/C evacuated and recharged on my return.

I'll post the results.
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0