F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Collecting a new car in lockdown
proTUNING Freaks

01-18-2021, 02:44 PM   #1
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: Looking

Collecting a new car in lockdown

We ordered the Mrs a new car back in October, it's now finally ready. However I'm a bit dubious about the whole situation and what the dealer expect her to do.

We got the call to say it's ready to collect, they then sent though the paperwork and asked her to sign it all and return it before collecting it this weekend. Added to this we have not seen the car in person and the colour on the contract they sent though is a different name to the one we had on the order. Online this seems to look the same but who knows until we see it.

I would never normally accept and sign for a new car without seeing it. Don't really want to start now if we can help it.

Has anyone else been through this lately with Covid lockdown in full swing?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2021, 03:11 PM   #2
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Son in law is collecting daughters when they say it can be released, bit different for them as the car is from his employers and a cheap lease so they would take it regardless but if it was me I would be asking for the VIN to be able to check the spec out, getting a video of the car as it is focusing on what you expect it to have fitted and the paint and such, and would be signing for it subject to personal inspection that will be performed on collection or delivery.

Its a new world for all involved so a bit of making it up as they go along for garages, so cut them a bit of slack...

And more importantly, what is it and give us all the details, we like new cars!
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2021, 03:59 PM   #3
Rukka
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

I collected mine during lockdown in November. It's nothing to worry about.

You will be signing the finance paperwork in readiness to save on contact at collection time.

When I went to get mine, I gave it the once over (and found some issues) - at this point the car wasn't even registered.

I declined to take it until the issues were fixed and I went back 2 days later to look over it again. Once I had given him the thumbs up, he tootled off and registered it. I paid my deposit and off I went. Easy as.

If you're nervous just talk to your sales guy. I'm sure you are worrying over nothing and it will only be registered and come into your ownership at actual time of collection

Past: C43, X4 M40i, TTS, M4 CP, 440i, 435d, M235i, 220d, F30, E90, E87
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2021, 07:20 AM   #4
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

Does this not class as distance selling and would therefore have a 14day get out clause?
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2021, 04:30 PM   #5
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Son in law is collecting daughters when they say it can be released, bit different for them as the car is from his employers and a cheap lease so they would take it regardless but if it was me I would be asking for the VIN to be able to check the spec out, getting a video of the car as it is focusing on what you expect it to have fitted and the paint and such, and would be signing for it subject to personal inspection that will be performed on collection or delivery.

Its a new world for all involved so a bit of making it up as they go along for garages, so cut them a bit of slack...

And more importantly, what is it and give us all the details, we like new cars!
I actually got to see the car last night. I was in the area and they pointed me in the direction to have a look, I agree some slack to be cut, as long as I'm not waiving any of my rights that matter.

The guy inspired confidence so feel a lot better about the whole situation.

It's nothing too fancy, needed a family car with the lad arriving and the Mrs' fiesta being way over due replacement.

Went for a puma st-line x 155bhp mild hybrid 1.0 eco boost.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 04:32 PM   #6
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukka View Post
I collected mine during lockdown in November. It's nothing to worry about.

You will be signing the finance paperwork in readiness to save on contact at collection time.

When I went to get mine, I gave it the once over (and found some issues) - at this point the car wasn't even registered.

I declined to take it until the issues were fixed and I went back 2 days later to look over it again. Once I had given him the thumbs up, he tootled off and registered it. I paid my deposit and off I went. Easy as.

If you're nervous just talk to your sales guy. I'm sure you are worrying over nothing and it will only be registered and come into your ownership at actual time of collection
You were exactly right, seems like nothing to worry about, just need to get all the paperwork done to limit contact on collecting.
Appreciate 1
Rukka2647.00
      01-20-2021, 04:34 PM   #7
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncarlyon View Post
Does this not class as distance selling and would therefore have a 14day get out clause?
Yes I thought that, but when reading the small print that only applies if the whole deal was done over the phone or by email. If you visited at anytime you can't exercise that right.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 02:25 AM   #8
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoShambolt View Post
I actually got to see the car last night. I was in the area and they pointed me in the direction to have a look, I agree some slack to be cut, as long as I'm not waiving any of my rights that matter.

It's nothing too fancy, needed a family car with the lad arriving and the Mrs' fiesta being way over due replacement.

Dont undersell the Puma, bloody good car and that one looks lovely. Let us know how you get on.

And glad the garage were helpful. Good luck with pick up!
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2021, 05:04 AM   #9
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Dont undersell the Puma, bloody good car and that one looks lovely. Let us know how you get on.

Yes don't get me wrong it's a lovely car, and I think it's a really good spec, I'm interested to see what the engine is like. I think she would have preferred a Q3 but the maternity pay situation said otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 07:30 AM   #10
ZedsRedBaby
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M440i Convertible

Quote:
Quote:

They seem to be very well regarded. Parkers have made it car of the year for 2021. And it certainly looks better than the last thing to carry that name.

Hope you enjoy it OP.

Last edited by ZedsRedBaby; 01-23-2021 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 07:46 AM   #11
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes don't get me wrong it's a lovely car, and I think it's a really good spec, I'm interested to see what the engine is like. I think she would have preferred a Q3 but the maternity pay situation said otherwise.
Asa bit of an Audi fan boy, I'd take a decent spec Puma over a lower end Q3 any day. The lower level ones are really dull.....
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 04:45 PM   #12
RoShambolt
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Asa bit of an Audi fan boy, I'd take a decent spec Puma over a lower end Q3 any day. The lower level ones are really dull.....
We picked it up today, I drove it back from the dealer and I'm actually blown away by it! In the cabin it sounds way beefier than a 1l 3 cylinder should, goes pretty well with the 155bhp engine spec. The bang and Olufsen system sounds excellent, with some adjustments I think it will definitely give my HK system a run for its money. Best system I've had on a car is still the B&O system I had on my B8 S4.

All the tech in it that's standard on the st-line x is amazing. Loads of stuff that I had to pay extra for and more. After driving it and seeing it I agree, definitely would choose over a base spec Q3. The Puma has really changed my opinion of Ford. I thought they were very cheap and nasty after living with her fiesta over the past 8 years. They've come a long way in a few areas.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18769.50
      01-23-2021, 04:52 PM   #13
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Glad you like it. The ex bought an A3 to replace her Fiesta about 2.5 years ago and reckons she will trade for an A3 in the summer..... but I'm suggesting a Puma of the spec you have as a better buy....

B&O system in my RS4 is great, although I tend to switch it off and listen to the exhaust when I can
Appreciate 1