F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Cool find at Costco, BMW blind spot mirrors
proTUNING Freaks

01-30-2020, 09:51 PM   #23
Dave turbo
Rep
Drives: F30

The product described is nice and economical.

I do like the BMW mirror made for the German market. It's aspheric. I bought both sides, one new and one used from a European junkyard.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 10:40 AM   #24
klasjdh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAudi2BMW View Post
The dimming mirrors have the black bezel around them (inner glass not the housing). It is because there is some fluid or something in there. Not super impressed with the BMW ones on my 3 series, but I also wouldn’t downgrade to non dimming just for aspherical, with something like these now available. To each their own though!

Funny thing is...I think there is only 1-2 companies who make the dimming mirrors for all the car brands. Is the dimness adjustable with coding or something? My truck gets much darker, but my lower sitting car gets all the glare. Would love to swap the 2
Hmm, okay. I'm still not complete sure by your description.
I will take a picture of both mirrors and post it if that is okay.

Maybe that way would be easier to confirm what type of mirrors I have.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 10:52 AM   #25
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
There are still plenty of OE wide-angle mirrors on eBay for $150 shipped. Here's an example.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 02:12 PM   #26
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by klasjdh View Post
FaRKle!
Thank you so much for that informative video demonstration!

I'm curious how do I figure out / determine if my 2016 435ix has either dimming / heated mirrors or both on either side of my car?

Thanks!
Pretty sure all F30s have heated mirrors. I believe the auto-dimming is option code S430A.

Go to https://www.mdecoder.com and plug in the last 7 of your VIN and see if it's in the options list.
      01-31-2020, 02:21 PM   #27
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: drei BMWs

Quote:
Hmm, okay. I'm still not complete sure by your description.
I will take a picture of both mirrors and post it if that is okay.

Maybe that way would be easier to confirm what type of mirrors I have.

Thanks!
Sure! The actual mirror glass itself has a thick black rim around it, where the non dimming ones is just a regular glass edge.

Does that make more sense?
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 02:29 PM   #28
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
There are still plenty of OE wide-angle mirrors on eBay for $150 shipped. Here's an example.
Those may be way cheaper than buying from ECS or a dealer... BUT:
- they are used
- they are scratched / damaged per the description
- they are not from within the us and subject to import duty / tax
- who knows how they really work and for how long?!

To me, $150 for a used risk is not an upgrade and not a risk I would want. That is why I thought fellow enthusiasts would be excited about something like the extended view discovery. They are still a fraction of the cost of the used OE ones, require no assembly, new condition and made in the USA.

I would typically be more inclined to go that route, but to each their own! I'll try and get some pictures of mine this weekend for anyone interested.
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2020, 12:40 AM   #29
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
How do you know you are getting old? Many of your stories start with the other day I was going to Costco...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 08:47 PM   #30
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hi All-

Wanted to pass along something real quick for anyone interested. Got an email from the extended view website this weekend with a 15% off coupon code: BMWEnthusiast15

see below:

Dear valued customer,

We hope you are enjoying your new Extended View™ mirrors. As a new company started for enthusiasts, by enthusiasts, we need your help! Should you wish to recommend our products, we would be eternally grateful. To add further value, we have created a special coupon code just for you. Simply have any referral enter the coupon code BMWEnthusiast15 at checkout and they will receive 15% off. This coupon code is valid until the end of February. Thanks again for purchasing Extended View™ and we hope you have a great weekend.

Warm Regards,

The NXTGEN Automotive Team

If anyone has interest in these, any little bit helps. Still have not gotten pictures of mine but I will work on it soon!
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 05:33 PM   #31
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Had some errands to run today in the car. Finally took a few pics and got one of those flicker accounts to share. It rained here last night so my car is filthy... sorry!

Here are some pictures of the extended view mirrors I have.

Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 07:43 PM   #32
Sinner328
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2016

Quote:
Had some errands to run today in the car. Finally took a few pics and got one of those flicker accounts to share. It rained here last night so my car is filthy... sorry!

Looking good!!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:06 AM   #33
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner328 View Post
Looking good!!

Can anyone post pictures of the euro blind spot ones everyone keeps mentioning?
Would be really nice to see a comparison!

Every time I drive with these I like them more and more. JB>BM3 is my number 1, but these are a close 2nd favorite mod on my car.

If anyone can post some pics of the euro BMW, would love to see.
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 03:41 PM   #34
ntailor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i5 M60, X7 M60i

Mine came in today... install will have to wait as its raining
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 08:59 PM   #35
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

👍
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 09:57 AM   #36
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
I keep my mirrors adjusted wide so my blind spots are nearly gone. However, for parking it's nice to have the mirrors adjusted in a little bit so you can see a bit of the side of your car. Seems like these mirrors would give you the best of both worlds. What would be nice is a memory button just for your mirrors so they'd automatically adjust to a specific spot when going into reverse or press a button.
You mean like BMWs all did until after the e46 (or maybe e90) where you put it in reverse, adjust the mirrors and they return to that position in reverse from then on?
Why they got rid of that feature on the f30 I haven’t a clue. Sheer idiocy.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 11:27 AM   #37
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Cool find at Costco, BMW blind spot mirrors

So they used to have a customizable setting in reverse as opposed to just lowering the passenger side? I know the amount of lowering can be coded, or turned off completely.
      02-05-2020, 11:29 AM   #38
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner328 View Post
Looking good!!

Can anyone post pictures of the euro blind spot ones everyone keeps mentioning?
Would be really nice to see a comparison!

Every time I drive with these I like them more and more. JB>BM3 is my number 1, but these are a close 2nd favorite mod on my car.

If anyone can post some pics of the euro BMW, would love to see.
My driver's side mirror is getting fixed this very moment. The shop sourced me euro spec glass per my request. I'll snap some pics as soon as I get my car back.

UPDATE:
New mirror was installed in less than an hour. Very glad I didn't have to wait around too long. Took a few shots to try to show perspective. Hope this helps!

Also, to note, the euro glass gets rid of the black bezel that's around the outside of USDM glass. It's only a few millimeters, but I like the increased field of view having the glass go edge to edge.
Attached Images

02-05-2020, 12:01 PM   #39
klasjdh
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 435ix

Quote:

Oh wow that is actually amazing!!

Oh and in regards back to my question .. I still haven't had a chance to take a picture, but will do so this afternoon!

However, here's a dumb question that kind of pertains to the topic of heated/dimming mirrors:

So I did look through my iDrive owner's manual and it does list heated and dimming exterior and interior mirrors. I know for a fact the interior rearview window is dimming because I can see the photocell.

I guess my question is.. if my car's owner manual has a description of the heating/dimming features for the exterior mirrors, does that mean my car has these features. In other words, do the features described in the owner manual of each car reflect the features that come with the car?

Thank you so much! I'll definitely have to look into buying this accessory!!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #40
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh wow that is actually amazing!!

Oh and in regards back to my question .. I still haven't had a chance to take a picture, but will do so this afternoon!

However, here's a dumb question that kind of pertains to the topic of heated/dimming mirrors:

So I did look through my iDrive owner's manual and it does list heated and dimming exterior and interior mirrors. I know for a fact the interior rearview window is dimming because I can see the photocell.

I guess my question is.. if my car's owner manual has a description of the heating/dimming features for the exterior mirrors, does that mean my car has these features. In other words, do the features described in the owner manual of each car reflect the features that come with the car?

Thank you so much! I'll definitely have to look into buying this accessory!!
Now that I have pictures up, maybe it will make it easier!

If you look at the picture of my mirror, notice the black rim / bezel around the edge of the actual glass? This is for the dimming mirrors.

If they were not dimming there would not be that rim around them, it would be just glass like this: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...YaAtRDEALw_wcB
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:00 PM   #41
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Also, to note, the euro glass gets rid of the black bezel that's around the outside of USDM glass. It's only a few millimeters, but I like the increased field of view having the glass go edge to edge.
Quote:
If you look at the picture of my mirror, notice the black rim / bezel around the edge of the actual glass? This is for the dimming mirrors.
My non-euro/non-aspherical OE heated and dimmable mirrors don't have the black bezel either. You can see that in the below video.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #42
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
Quote:
My non-euro/non-aspherical OE heated and dimmable mirrors don't have the black bezel either. You can see that in the below video.

Yeah, I noticed that in the mirror. That was the first time I've seen "rimless" oem mirrors.
      02-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #43
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed that in the mirror. That was the first time I've seen "rimless" oem mirrors.
Yes good catch! Although if someone does not have the euro aspherical mirrors, then it will be either rimmed for dimming, or rimless for heated only just to keep it simple.

Looking forward to seeing your Picture and hearing your feedback with the BMW model. The VW one was pretty mixed reviews back in my vortex days.

So far the driving experience and especially the forum experience over here is improved, so maybe the mirrors will be too? It is both strange and refreshing that not every post is about lowering, air bags and the loudest blow off valve HA
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 02:01 PM   #44
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes good catch! Although if someone does not have the euro aspherical mirrors, then it will be either rimmed for dimming, or rimless for heated only just to keep it simple.

Looking forward to seeing your Picture and hearing your feedback with the BMW model. The VW one was pretty mixed reviews back in my vortex days.

So far the driving experience and especially the forum experience over here is improved, so maybe the mirrors will be too? It is both strange and refreshing that not every post is about lowering, air bags and the loudest blow off valve HA
I added pics to my earlier reply. ☝🏼