F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Downpipe spacers waste of time and nonsense
Extreme Powerhouse

02-14-2020, 10:27 PM   #23
NateCbr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHerder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateCbr View Post
I don't even want to count how many hours I wasted messing around with this. Reading threads, swapping in different spacers, getting pissed AF because most the spacers have to be mounted with the dp off the car. At least the 90deg spacers won't thread with DP on car. I tried 3 different spacers. One "straight" spacer that wouldn't fit in the first place because it hit the fender well, one short straight spacer and then the 90deg one, which was also a waste of time.

Took me 45min to swap my stock DP back in.

I easily wasted 3-4 hours messing with bullshit downpipe spacers.

I also even read that the VRSF dp "fix" just stopped the CEL, it doesn't fix readiness.

If you don't have your stock downpipe, I would try something like the Big Daddies Mini Cat Spacer. I can't speak on how well it works, but from my research it seems to work better than the rest of the junk spacers out there

If you're considering trying these spacers, use my complete clusterfuck waste of time as a lesson.... save yourself the headache and just swap in your old DP for test, then swap it back in afterwards. Your knuckles will thank you, and your wife/gf won't be as pissed cause you're using up most of the garage for half the week. lol.

(On a side note, I'm getting pretty good at taking these pipes on and off rather fast). Lol
Want to come down South of the Cheddar Curtain and give me a hand in the spring? Swapping in my fabspeed...
What part of Illinois? 😂😂😂 @ cheddar curtain

I need to meet some more F30/BMW owners anyways. as many times as I've changed this fucking dp over, I'd probably save you a decent chunk of time and some skin off your knuckles. Lol. PLUS, this Sunday will be ONE MORE swap back to catless I will have under my belt. 😂

For real, if you need some help and are within a couple hours I'm game. Just give me a heads up
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 09:20 AM   #24
BeerHerder
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335, G01 X3, Victory Vegas

Quote:

I need to meet some more F30/BMW owners anyways. as many times as I've changed this fucking dp over, I'd probably save you a decent chunk of time and some skin off your knuckles. Lol. PLUS, this Sunday will be ONE MORE swap back to catless I will have under my belt. 😂

For real, if you need some help and are within a couple hours I'm game. Just give me a heads up
I'm in the SW suburbs of Chicago, so not that far from MKE. Far enough that's it's inconvenient ;-) It's about 90 minutes for me to get to downtown Milwaukee.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 07:45 PM   #25
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Rep
Drives: 06 e91 325ix

Garage List
2006 E91 325ix  [10.00]
2006 Mini r53 JCW  [0.00]
2005 Mini r53  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
I was trying way too long to figure out OP what OP was talking about. O2 sensor spacers.

I was wondering why would you need a downpipe spacer. Maybe to get some sweet poke on your exhaust?
Lol. You can use it on the secondary/downstream o2s so they are plugged in but out of the exhaust stream. Thus the computer doesn’t sense the lack of “scrubbing/cleaning” when catless and throw a code thinking the cat died or the o2 did.

In the old days when the secondary’s were a simple narrowband you could also replace them with a large ceramic resistor to feed the computer the values it expected to see in closed loop. Did I that on my DSM when I whanged it with a rock off road and didn’t feel like replacing it.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 09:41 PM   #26
NateCbr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Quote:

I'm in the SW suburbs of Chicago, so not that far from MKE. Far enough that's it's inconvenient ;-) It's about 90 minutes for me to get to downtown Milwaukee.
Quote:
Quote:

Hey bud. You ever get your downpipe and shit set up? Gotta put my dp back in AGAIN lmao. BM3 tuned Now.
Appreciate 0