F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > First time BMW owner - 2019 440i Xdrive
GetBMWParts

02-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #1
roger55
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Xdrive

First time BMW owner - 2019 440i Xdrive

Hello all.

My name is Roger and I just last week bought a 2019 440i Xdrive with 14,100 miles on it. It was a CPO car from a dealer in Atlanta. I flew there and drove it home to San Angelo, Texas.

I never envisioned myself every owning a BMW but this car clicked all the right boxes for a car I wanted. This car will replace the Corvette I bought new in 2008. I've always been an American car guy and had 5 other Corvettes besides the one I just sold. It was time to move on. Corvettes just don't fit my needs anymore. This 440i really seemed like a good choice when I started looking around. No other American cars really did it for me. This car I found had all the features I wanted. It's Mineral White with black interior with red stitching. I love it! This car drives like no car I've ever felt before. Even better steering stability on the highway than my Corvette was. It seems just as powerful. This car might even beat my Corvette in standing start race.

There's a lot of technology in these BMW's and I'm sure I will be asking many questions here on this forum. I also can give back in information with my knowledge in body&paint and car restoration in general. This has been my hobby since I was a teenager. Right now I own a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Sport Coupe that I did a complete body-off restoration on. I do 100% of the work except for upholstery. I get a pro to do that but I do everything else. I also have a 1957 Chevrolet pickup that I did a cab off restoration on. Did that one for my wife to drive. I also have a rare 1983 Chevy El Camino Choo Choo Customs SS. I just finished restoring that car last year.

Anyway, I'm anxious to get to know and share info with you all on this forum. Looks like a good one!

Roger
Appreciate 13
F36GC_NYC159.50
zamboni1124.50
haagm58809.50
JV973304.00
jdg5495.00
Kingpin4383.00
GenXer1354.00
hybris204.50
Rhyzen7.50
      02-13-2020, 09:13 AM   #2
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Welcome to the club! Bit of a change up there, huh?

You'll get plenty of torque, which is great, but I don't think it's vette fast, but I could be wrong. These cars have a lot of lux and power, really can't go wrong!
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2020, 10:01 AM   #3
luckstr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White BMW440i Hardtop Converti

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviantspeed View Post
Welcome to the club! Bit of a change up there, huh?

You'll get plenty of torque, which is great, but I don't think it's vette fast, but I could be wrong. These cars have a lot of lux and power, really can't go wrong!
Hi. In my opinion, it is NOT vette fast, nor does it handle anywhere near my C5 vette. Although my 2017 440i convertible is a nice car, the old saying is very true: "once you own/drive a Corvette, you'll never want to own/drive anything else". I feel that I made a mistake getting rid of my C5 for this BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:05 AM   #4
deviantspeed
poopycat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330ixT

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckstr View Post
Hi. In my opinion, it is NOT vette fast, nor does it handle anywhere near my C5 vette. Although my 2017 440i convertible is a nice car, the old saying is very true: "once you own/drive a Corvette, you'll never want to own/drive anything else". I feel that I made a mistake getting rid of my C5 for this BMW.

Ok not OP. To each their own, but you are trying to sound like the OP. And you are citing a 20+ year old car, a little outdated. So maybe faster and handles better is true.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger55 View Post
Hello all.

My name is Roger and I just last week bought a 2019 440i Xdrive with 14,100 miles on it. It was a CPO car from a dealer in Atlanta. I flew there and drove it home to San Angelo, Texas.

I never envisioned myself every owning a BMW but this car clicked all the right boxes for a car I wanted. This car will replace the Corvette I bought new in 2008. I've always been an American car guy and had 5 other Corvettes besides the one I just sold. It was time to move on. Corvettes just don't fit my needs anymore. This 440i really seemed like a good choice when I started looking around. No other American cars really did it for me. This car I found had all the features I wanted. It's Mineral White with black interior with red stitching. I love it! This car drives like no car I've ever felt before. Even better steering stability on the highway than my Corvette was. It seems just as powerful. This car might even beat my Corvette in standing start race.

There's a lot of technology in these BMW's and I'm sure I will be asking many questions here on this forum. I also can give back in information with my knowledge in body&paint and car restoration in general. This has been my hobby since I was a teenager. Right now I own a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air 2dr Sport Coupe that I did a complete body-off restoration on. I do 100% of the work except for upholstery. I get a pro to do that but I do everything else. I also have a 1957 Chevrolet pickup that I did a cab off restoration on. Did that one for my wife to drive. I also have a rare 1983 Chevy El Camino Choo Choo Customs SS. I just finished restoring that car last year.

Anyway, I'm anxious to get to know and share info with you all on this forum. Looks like a good one!

Roger
Welcome! Great choice! I joined two years ago with my first BMW. It's been a blast to drive and to modify to get it just the way that I want it.

Curious if the mod bug is already getting to you? Do you have ideas of things that you would like to change/improve, or are you still enjoying soaking in the initial driving experience?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
Horn High Aces
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440xi GC

Quote:
Hello all.

Roger
Congrats on the new ride! I just picked up my first BMW as well, a 2017 440i xDrive Gran Coupe.

I couldn't agree more that there just isn't an American made car out there like this which is what led me to my first non-American made vehicle purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #7
Lgb0250
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435i M Sport

Welcome.

2008 Corvette 0-60 was 4.0 when new
2019 440i 0-60 4.4 when new

Very easy to think it was faster than your old Corvette and who knows, after almost 12 years it may be in the long run. I know mine is a lot faster than my first car which was a 64 GTO w/tripower!
      02-13-2020, 10:33 AM   #8
B58Rocket
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 440i coupe Estoril Blue

Quote:
Hello all.

Roger
Welcome! I am fairly new here too. Ive had my 440i coupe for almost a year. I looked for a long time debating on what kind of car I wanted. Love my car.. couldn't be happier! Mod bug already bit me long ago
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:05 AM   #9
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Congrats, welcome to the club. Pictures? I don't think I've seen a lot of mineral white cars on F30 forum.
Appreciate 1
F36GC_NYC159.50
      02-13-2020, 11:12 AM   #10
blackbird_f32
Shima Tatsuya
Rep
Drives: F32 435i Msport

Welcome to the bimmer community. Solid choice!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:15 AM   #11
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Welcome to B58 power!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #12
roger55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Wow! Thanks guys. I didn't expect such great a welcome from y'all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Congrats, welcome to the club. Pictures? I don't think I've seen a lot of mineral white cars on F30 forum.
Since I'm adept at paint correction, that's what I've been working on the last couple of days. It had several bird poop etches that I wanted to polish out. It also looked like the car had been in the sun a lot and exclusively washed at automatic car washes as it had a lot of micro scratches. The car spent it's entire existence in Thousand Oaks, CA. Story was that it was a BMW executives car.
Anyway, I've got the polishing done and am waxing it now. I'll post some photos when I get a nice day to take some.
In the meantime, you can look here:
https://maxdigitalshowroom.com/web/#...4W9C5XKAG89909
It's still on this Penske website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgb0250 View Post
Welcome.
2008 Corvette 0-60 was 4.0 when new
2019 440i 0-60 4.4 when new

Very easy to think it was faster than your old Corvette and who knows, after almost 12 years it may be in the long run. I know mine is a lot faster than my first car which was a 64 GTO w/tripower!
I didn't know I was going to start a conversation about this but it is interesting to talk about.
My '08 Corvette was a 6spd and it only had 32K miles on it. I sold it the day before I flew to Atlanta. I can tell you that quoted numbers for Corvette 0-60 and 1/4 mile are under the very best conditions and experienced drivers. Density altitude has a bunch to do with it too. No way my Corvette would have done 0-60 in 4.0 where I live.
About a month ago my brother was visiting me and drove his 2017 Corvette Grand Sport LT1 and 8 spd auto. We went out on a back road and tested it and best 0-60 time he could get is 4.3 sec. Conditions where good for traction but my elevation here is 1,800 ft above sea level. I think 0-60 for his car is supposed to be 3.7 sec.

I don't know if quoted times for BMW is more real world than what you see on Corvettes but you would think that with a turbo, the BMW isn't affected as much when the density altitude numbers go up.

Last edited by roger55; 02-13-2020 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #13
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Welcome. Enjoy the car.
Appreciate 1
F36GC_NYC159.50
      02-13-2020, 01:14 PM   #14
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: drei BMWs

Welcome, sweet ride! Funny I was thinking about passing the 3 series over to my wife in a year or so and adding a C7 to the stable. I also have a truck and she is driving a VW right now.

How do you like the C7 GS 8 speed? Would not replace the BMW but would be an addition so we'd have both + truck. Last Corvette I drove was a early C5. Looks like they have come a really long way since then. No tape with the mini cord to plug in my huge black and white iPod
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 01:34 PM   #15
roger55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAudi2BMW View Post
Welcome, sweet ride! Funny I was thinking about passing the 3 series over to my wife in a year or so and adding a C7 to the stable. I also have a truck and she is driving a VW right now.

How do you like the C7 GS 8 speed? Would not replace the BMW but would be an addition so we'd have both + truck. Last Corvette I drove was a early C5. Looks like they have come a really long way since then. No tape with the mini cord to plug in my huge black and white iPod
Thanks.
I'll see if I can get my brother to sign up to this forum and let him answer you. He just recently bought a 2017 440i M Sport and is going to keep his Corvette too. He loves his Vette.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:48 PM   #16
BillGS440i
Registered
Rep
Drives: Chevy Corvette GS BMW 440i

Corvette GS

I signed up so I could answer your question about my Corvette. First, I would never get rid of the Corvette to get any other car. It is so much fun to drive. I love the way it handles and drives not to mention the power. The GS is a far superior car with the correct performance options. I love the way it looks just standing still. I bought the car new (it sat at the dealer for a while) so I have had it about 17 months. I just got the BMW and sold it to the wife as a rain car so I don't have to drive the Vette in the bad weather. I love the way the car feels but the wife thinks it is a luxury car. I am really happy with both but it has never been a one for the other kind of decision. Any questions just PM me and we can discuss! Have a great day!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 03:02 PM   #17
roger55
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Bill. No need to PM. It would be more interesting to see any more conversation about it right here.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 03:10 PM   #18
VWAudi2BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: drei BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillGS440i View Post
I signed up so I could answer your question about my Corvette. First, I would never get rid of the Corvette to get any other car. It is so much fun to drive. I love the way it handles and drives not to mention the power. The GS is a far superior car with the correct performance options. I love the way it looks just standing still. I bought the car new (it sat at the dealer for a while) so I have had it about 17 months. I just got the BMW and sold it to the wife as a rain car so I don't have to drive the Vette in the bad weather. I love the way the car feels but the wife thinks it is a luxury car. I am really happy with both but it has never been a one for the other kind of decision. Any questions just PM me and we can discuss! Have a great day!
Sounds like it would be fun! Prices seem right now on late model C7 with the C8 now. At this point I seem to find myself really preferring the C7 vs the C8.

Have been wondering if a regular stingray vs a GS is a better option for strictly street use? Any input there? Roads out here are not great. Also wondering about width and clearance.

These are things the 3 and 4 series do not suffer from. All great rides for sure!
Sedan
Lots of burbles and POPS
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 04:24 PM   #19
JayFar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Convertible

Garage List
Welcome to the forum and ownership. I previously owned a Vette as well but it was much older. IMO Chevy has always done great with the mechanical bits on the Vetts but with the exception of the C7 and C8 they simply don't do anything else that great. I'm thrilled they have started putting as much effort into the interior and accessories as they always have with the engines.

Put a $500 flash tune on the 440i and it will really surprise you.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 04:38 PM   #20
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Congratulations and a warm welcome! You are perhaps already enjoying the linear power delivery curve of B58 engine.

Is (softer) xDrive suspension OK for your needs? Lots of suspension upgrades options available.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 04:47 PM   #21
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFar View Post
Yes, if OP is not worried about his CPO warranty. It's a fairly new car and his first BMW so probably a good idea to run it stock till he gets to know the car better, also the dealer and BMW policies.
Appreciate 1
JayFar101.00
      02-13-2020, 06:10 PM   #22
JayFar
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayFar View Post
Yes, if OP is not worried about his CPO warranty. It's a fairly new car and his first BMW so probably a good idea to run it stock till he gets to know the car better, also the dealer and BMW policies.
Ah you're absolutely right about the warranty but the OP restores cars and I get the impression he'd be capable of fixing engine issues in the unlikely event they occur
Appreciate 1