F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Drivetrain malfunction!!!!!
ARMA SPEED

12-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #45
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE-77 View Post
Well it happened again while driving in comfort on D. It has nothing to do with Eco pro + SD.
They forgot to add a couple of lines of code. Correct code as follows:

Public void MessWithEnvironmentalMoron() {

If (shiftMonitor == etSportModezWhilstEcoPro) {

/*** Idiot switched shift lever to sport while he is in ecoPro ***/

misFire(rnd(etMaxNoCyls)); /*** scare the bejesus out of this environmentally foolish moron ***/

masterCautionChime();

sleep(60);

misFire(rnd(etMaxNoCyls)); /*** surprise moron again ***/

limpMode(etEnable); /*** punish this half-man-half-idiot with half a car ***/

sleep(Random.Next()); /*** Randomly kickoff script again for being a moron ***/

MessWithEnvironmentalMoron();

}
}
Lol! Don't forget locale based tweaks!

# ifdef USA
#include "ASSmodForWhineyBitchs"
# endif
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #46
Fishjr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Daily Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Lol! Don't forget locale based tweaks!

# ifdef USA
#include "ASSmodForWhineyBitchs"
# endif
This is awesome! We should be programmers for BMW. I'm sure we could do a pretty good job.... especially with the i-Drive
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #47
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Well the owners manual and also written on the gas tank that the recommended octane is 89 or higher. So I don't understand how using what's recommended can cause a problem!!??
This nicely covers it.

Nothing you did, nor the octane used, caused the problem.

I hope you get it resolved soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #48
vince88
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Xdrive Sports

On my 2006 325 and on my 2009 328, both cars actually ended up in limp mode after the switch to manual... I had no clue what it was at first and the dealer simply said it was the switch from D to SD that caused it.

None the less, a big bummer... Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #49
mocohead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i 6MT & 12 128i Msport

OP I know what the manual says...but I offered a theory in an effort to help. Here are the facts: Lower octane means lower resistance to predetonation (if you didn't know this already, google it). When you are in EcoPro the car runs a more lean map to get better economy. So your car runs as lean as possible which puts it as close as possible to the limit of detonation. When you accelerate, the computer senses knock and proactively retards timing and makes the mixture richer. But it can only go so far...if knock is bad enough, the computer will go into a limp mode to prevent damage.

So while you CAN run 89 octane, and under most circumstances it will be ok, your car will be more prone to knock when you do. Personally I would never put 89 octane in a forced induction car. Some do...I would never.

Now if ELK has some facts to show this is rubbish, or that your issue had nothing to do with octane, it would be great to hear them!

Again I am only offering a theory. Unless you get the codes read by the dealer all we can do is speculate. But you can test my theory - run 91 or higher and try to duplicate the fault. Then run a few tanks of 89 and try to duplicate the fault. See what happens.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #50
Tsuvoi
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i

I thought BMW said to use premium (91) gas, whatever! Shouldn't make a difference either way.

And "Tier 1" gas is just a scam by a group of select gas distributors to differentiate themselves from the competition. I see marketing still works on some people.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #51
Elk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
When you are in EcoPro the car runs a more lean map to get better economy. So your car runs as lean as possible which puts it as close as possible to the limit of detonation.
Creative, but untrue. Eco does not run a different A/F map, it merely changes the foot feed response. All modern cars employ an A/F map which minimizes fuel consumption except at WOT where the map goes rich.

As a separate matter, AKI 89 is fine for the engine under all circumstances. Its use does not place the engine on the verge of self-destruction.

Stand back! He's running 89! It will blow any minute!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #52
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocohead View Post
When you are in EcoPro the car runs a more lean map to get better economy. So your car runs as lean as possible which puts it as close as possible to the limit of detonation.
Creative, but untrue. Eco does not run a different A/F map, it merely changes the foot feed response. All modern cars employ an A/F map which minimizes fuel consumption except at WOT where the map goes rich.

As a separate matter, AKI 89 is fine for the engine under all circumstances. Its use does not place the engine on the verge of self-destruction.

Stand back! He's running 89! It will blow any minute!
+1 I ran on 89 on all my bmws in the past in addition to this car, never had any issues with it.
      12-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #53
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Happened to me in regular old comfort mode in my 335i cruising on highway at about 65 and mad limp mode. Got off to restart and power was back.. But, I mean, this car has 1200 miles..WTF
      12-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #54
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

The problem you described reminded me of the time my HPFP was going bad and I just barely limped it to the dealership. Those were bad times.

Any update? Pretty slow response in trouble shooting the problem. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #55
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisitalia
The problem you described reminded me of the time my HPFP was going bad and I just barely limped it to the dealership. Those were bad times.

Any update? Pretty slow response in trouble shooting the problem. Good luck.
No updates yet, car still at the dealer
      12-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #56
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep

Ok they called and said that bmw told them to change the steering system. They replaced the steering system and then they received a call from BMWNA not to change it after they did!! They have to keep the car longer as they said BMW does not want me to drive it now!
      12-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #57
john08135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR

Quote:
Ok they called and said that bmw told them to change the steering system. They replaced the steering system and then they received a call from BMWNA not to change it after they did!! They have to keep the car longer as they said BMW does not want me to drive it now!
ANY updates yet??
Attached Images

01-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #58
F30_M_Sport_Eurovan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

This morning, I pulled out of the garage, drove about 1 mile, and received a Drivetrain Malfunction warning on my 2013 328i M Sport 8 Speed Auto with 3,500 miles. It went into what felt like limp mode. So, I changed direction and went straight to the dealer (about 4 miles away). While on the way there, I transmitted my problem to BMW via the iDrive system. I did not encounter any problems getting there (except slow throttle of limp mode). I am waiting to hear back from them. No loaners for me so they took me back home to my other car.

I'll let you guys know what I hear about mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #59
F30_M_Sport_Eurovan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Okay... so they tell me it is the VANOS Solenoid. They also told me this part was not available immediately and "hopefully" will be here in a couple of days. When I asked for a car, they said they are all out of loaners. They will hook me up with a rental car. I told them I didn't spend $50K on a car to drive around in a Chevy.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #60
CiaoCiao
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sport Manual

Unhappy Status?

I'm wondering if there's been a resolution to this issue as the same thing happened to me on Tues during an 800+ mile trip. I stopped for gas after the first 350-mile or so leg (odometer at about 1280 miles), filled up with 93 octane REAL (not ethynol!) gas, and while accelerating back onto the highway my car began doing the rumble/shake thing & I got the same "drive train" and "drive moderately" messages. I believe I was in the process of shifting into 5th when it started.

I immediately left the highway & called BMW via the on-board SOS. They sent a tow truck, which took me to the nearest dealership. After about 3 hours they said they couldn't duplicate the problem and that there was no record of a problem on the car's log, so they couldn't fix a problem that doesn't exist.

Well, it does indeed exist, and in fact, I had felt the "rumble" several times previously while on the highway around home, but very briefly & without the display messages being triggered. The times it happened I'd assumed I'd gone over a rough patch of road...guess I know better now!

I'm a bit concerned since I'll be driving back next week, and the trip involves a lot of driving through long stretches of absolutely nothing. I was fortunate that the problem happened right outside Little Rock, so there was a dealership nearby. It's clearly NOT an octane issue. I was in sport mode, my car's a stick, and I was up-shifting as per normal when entering a highway. And it wasn't cold out; nor was the car cold (obviously). WTF???
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #61
CiaoCiao
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i Sport Manual

Lightbulb White Vehicles

Oh, and re the popularity of white vehicles, my guess is it's because businesses usually buy white vehicles for their fleets, then have their corporate graphics added on. So I suspect that skews the numbers.

Of course, I could be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #62
bmisaccurate
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328

I started getting yellow "Drivetrain Malfunction: Drive Moderately" alerts on my 328i four weeks after purchase. Imagine my glee. Mine came on upon cranking, and the car went into limp mode temporarily--for about a mile and fortunately on a city street--before driving off as usual. From looking at other threads and forums, this problem is unfortunately somewhat common and not easily corrected.

The dealership has had the car for >2 weeks now. They are saying the VANOS unit will be replaced. At least they gave me a 2013 328i loaner, which has yet to act up. Maybe I can negotiate a trade.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #63
Abspara
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

I had this exact problem the other day, so after it occured i called the dealer and limped there to get it taken care of.

A six month old 2012 F30 with less than 4k miles was diagnosed with a broken VANOS actuator.

Two days later it was finally fixed and returned. So far so good but troubling so early.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #64
3LionsCT
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

I just started my 328xi and got the drive train Malfunction message. The car only has 5K miles on it. However it seemed to drive normally. I'm pretty sure it wasn't in limp mode. I got home and turned the car off and on again and it is still saying drive train malfunction.
I'm calling the dealership in the morning :-(
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 12:17 AM   #65
inChargeOfIT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Lol! Somewhere, lurking in the gear shift monitor program...

If (shiftMonitor == etSportModezWhilstEcoPro) {

misFire(rnd(etMaxNoCyls)); /*** scare the bejesus out of this environmentally foolish moron ***/

masterCautionChime();

sleep(60);

}
Please refactor to include BMW's default error handling routines :

If ( (shiftMonitor == etSportModezWhilstEcoPro) && ( isNearDealership() == false || isUnderWarranty() == false) ) {

masterCautionChime();

sleep(60);

}
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #66
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by inChargeOfIT View Post
Please refactor to include BMW's default error handling routines :

If ( (shiftMonitor == etSportModezWhilstEcoPro) && ( isNearDealership() == false || isUnderWarranty() == false) ) {

masterCautionChime();

sleep(60);

}
Appreciate 0