F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > well done Glasgow
proTUNING Freaks

01-18-2020, 03:45 PM   #23
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 320i MSport Auto LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
all city buses stop at hope street and central station is just off junction of hope and st Vincent street but no lets ban some cars.
There's not a single mention in that article of banning cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 02:59 AM   #24
DB118D
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Quote:
i thought Bristol were virtue signalling idiots but looks like our very own Glasgow has surged ahead.

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/article/2...lasgow-by-2030

the recommendations in the pdf document are so workable.

All the people facing poverty destitution drug addiction violence etc would rate the climate emergency as their no 1 priority im sure.
Welcome to SNP-run Glasgow

Where virtue signalling and grievances take precedent over homelessness, refuse collections and other vital council services
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2758.00
dazzapb1045.50
      01-19-2020, 03:47 AM   #25
Nham68
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M340i touring

Well done Glasgow ..

About bloody time.
Let’s hope plenty more Follow.
About time us lazy arses got off our backsides and onto bikes / buses etc to make journeys that cars simply should not be doing inside a city (with exceptions for the infirm or disabled).
As a town centre dweller , it will mean I can breathe clean air rather than have to suck up all the diesel particulate and nasties all these static cars spew out.
Will also create jobs / re- green living spaces.
I use my car to commute or travel out of the city where I live and there is no alternative .
For trips inside the city - walk / bus / cycle or Uber/taxi . Just don’t need cars.
Not against car use as such, just unnecessary car use where perfectly viable public transport exists.
Time to get over the age of the car taking over the country... I love cars too.. but cars overwhelmingly everywhere needs to be kerbed for the sake of our kids health....
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 04:42 AM   #26
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nham68 View Post
About bloody time.
Let’s hope plenty more Follow.
About time us lazy arses got off our backsides and onto bikes / buses etc to make journeys that cars simply should not be doing inside a city (with exceptions for the infirm or disabled).
As a town centre dweller , it will mean I can breathe clean air rather than have to suck up all the diesel particulate and nasties all these static cars spew out.
Will also create jobs / re- green living spaces.
I use my car to commute or travel out of the city where I live and there is no alternative .
For trips inside the city - walk / bus / cycle or Uber/taxi . Just don’t need cars.
Not against car use as such, just unnecessary car use where perfectly viable public transport exists.
Time to get over the age of the car taking over the country... I love cars too.. but cars overwhelmingly everywhere needs to be kerbed for the sake of our kids health....
As a rural dweller, with no public transport I don't have very much choice. I could choose a less polluting car though, and I have to admit that as someone who enjoys cars, that's not my top priority.

On that subject, if you are going to lecture others about their car use, I suggest you first get rid of the SUV and replace it with a much smaller, lighter, less polluting car.
Appreciate 1
dazzapb1045.50
      01-19-2020, 05:11 AM   #27
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...de-reparations

Also did this. Absolute wankers.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 05:33 AM   #28
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajs_435d View Post
Sorry, what on earth has this to do with the subject at hand? The university is not in the control of the city council. The term "wanker" does spring to mind but not in respect of Glasgow, its citizens or council.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2020, 05:38 AM   #29
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
Where virtue signalling and grievances take precedent over homelessness, refuse collections and other vital council services
Regarding vital council services the previous Labour council oversaw decades of sheer stupidity with regard to public transport with the inevitable result that the city is jammed with cars and public transport is a disgrace. This in contrast to most German cities which are largely free of cars and public transport is the preferred, and more comfortable, choice. The present council at least appear to be rethinking.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 06:58 AM   #30
Nham68
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
As a rural dweller, with no public transport I don't have very much choice. I could choose a less polluting car though, and I have to admit that as someone who enjoys cars, that's not my top priority.

On that subject, if you are going to lecture others about their car use, I suggest you first get rid of the SUV and replace it with a much smaller, lighter, less polluting car.
X3 went 2 years ago when I moved to the city . Just didn’t update my profile . Got a family sized petrol car now .

When I used to commute into a city, I used the park and ride for the last part .. bloody excellent. Not everywhere has a good setup admittedly... council should be making the alternatives cost effective, pleasant to use and easier and safe . Gotta be a carrot and stick , not just stick ... the great thing with the park and ride was the 20 mins each way wasn’t wasted.. emails partly done before I got to work , finish off loose ends on the journey home.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 07:00 AM   #31
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB118D View Post
Quote:
i thought Bristol were virtue signalling idiots but looks like our very own Glasgow has surged ahead.

https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/article/2...lasgow-by-2030

the recommendations in the pdf document are so workable.

All the people facing poverty destitution drug addiction violence etc would rate the climate emergency as their no 1 priority im sure.

the alternative is labour....we glaswegians are truly blessed
Appreciate 3
Rbrown2758.00
DB118D1008.50
      01-19-2020, 07:45 AM   #32
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTheSea View Post
This in contrast to most German cities which are largely free of cars.
Not my experience in Stuttgart/Cologne/Frankfurt or Berlin, despite having the benefit of the being largely rebuilt in the 50's and having much more room than UK cities, Germany manages to get 3 cities in the top 20 worst in Europe for congestion vs the UK with just one (London) They are not largely free of cars by any means.

Glasgow being equal to Cologne in hours lost to congestion as an example...
      01-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #33
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Not my experience in Stuttgart/Cologne/Frankfurt or Berlin...
Certainly my experience in Erfurt, Leipzig, Karlsruhe, Heidelberg.. include medium to large towns and I could go on forever. I've spent lots of time in Germany since the early eighties.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #34
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nham68 View Post
X3 went 2 years ago when I moved to the city . Just didn’t update my profile . Got a family sized petrol car now .
So you're still polluting then, oh won't someone think of the children! Why not an EV? As you seem quite het up about it all, or no car at all.
      01-19-2020, 08:41 AM   #35
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Certainly my experience in Erfurt, Leipzig, Karlsruhe, Heidelberg.. include medium to large towns and I could go on forever. I've spent lots of time in Germany since the early eighties.
You couldn't, Germany has just as much of an issue with traffic than any other European state, Leipzig looses 108 hours per driver per year vs Glasgow at 99 hours due to congestion.

So the city you sight as being largely free of traffic has a bigger issue than Glasgow.....
      01-19-2020, 09:00 AM   #36
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Quote:
You couldn't, Germany has just as much of an issue with traffic than any other European state, Leipzig looses 108 hours per driver per year vs Glasgow at 99 hours due to congestion.

So the city you sight as being largely free of traffic has a bigger issue than Glasgow.....
you have a point.
on friday the trip computer on my car(Glasgow, 335d) read miles completed 64 time taken 2hr 42 minutes! Only silver lining was mpg of 35.
I shudder when I think about biking in rainy cold windy glasgow or waiting for a (non existent/infrequent) bus risk of muggings etc.
Unclean air is less of a direct hazard for me thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 09:04 AM   #37
ByTheSea
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm guessing you're reading this somewhere and have never actually been to these places. I've walked the streets on many occasions and know what I see. The figures you quote may well relate to areas of the outer/greater city area but they certainly don't apply to the city centre. The shopping, entertainment, eating, drinking areas. These area in all German cities, towns, villages that I have been to and lived in are largely pedestrianised and traffic free other than tram services which are widely used. Here's a figure for you... Germany has among the highest ownership of cars per household but among the lowest car usage figures. All down to a superb public transport network, which I have used many times. The majority of car owners in Germany use their cars for leisure at the weekends, outside the cities.
Now off to brushing up on your stats reading.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 10:04 AM   #38
Nham68
Private
England
Rep

Quote:
So you're still polluting then, oh won't someone think of the children! Why not an EV? As you seem quite het up about it all, or no car at all.
Didn’t say I wasn’t driving any more .
I got rid of the diseasel as step 1. EV is not pollution free and if you have on street parking, not an option. Where do you think electricity come from ?

I simply don’t use car whenever there is an alternative available... most of the queues on the roads within towns and cities are because people are simply too lazy or feel that public transport is beneath them for their short journeys to work or the school run.

You need to think of this a bit more than a binary drive vs not drive argument .
Appreciate 0