F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Heater problem
Studio RSR

11-15-2020, 12:41 AM   #1
dadecounty3051
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Heater problem

For some reason the left vent and left middle vent has heat but the passenger side and rear vents comes out at a cooler temperature. Anyone have any idea on what may be wrong? 2014 F30 N55
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 02:07 AM   #2
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' F87

My '14 F30 started having that same issue as well where my Indy mentioned my heater control valve is most likely on it's way out so I'm bringing the car in this Thursday to get it replaced and hope all is well before winter comes.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

This is a common problem, do a search. Search it on google, not here. The problem when you search here is if you, for instance, search 'no heat passenger side' you'll get every post that contains the word 'no', or 'heat', or 'passenger' or 'side'. You can't specify to search only for posts that contain all of those words.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 06:48 PM   #4
dadecounty3051
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperfectluck View Post
My '14 F30 started having that same issue as well where my Indy mentioned my heater control valve is most likely on it's way out so I'm bringing the car in this Thursday to get it replaced and hope all is well before winter comes.
Quote:
Any update?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #5
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry for the late reply but replacing the valve wasn't the solution, just had the core flushed out to help alleviate the issue but I feel eventually maybe next winter, I may need a new heater core but since the flush, bumping up the temp at least gives me adequate heat except for the passenger far right vent.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 09:12 AM   #6
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply but replacing the valve wasn't the solution, just had the core flushed out to help alleviate the issue but I feel eventually maybe next winter, I may need a new heater core but since the flush, bumping up the temp at least gives me adequate heat except for the passenger far right vent.
Seems like an issue with the blend/ air door actuators within the climate control system.

Was that ruled out?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #7
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep

@F32Fleet It wasn't ruled out but on the other hand, my mechanic didn't explicitly say to me that he was going to look into it. My assumption was that if he was going to do a flush, I'd also assume he would've checked the door but while watching at the shop, didn't seem like that took place.

I'll certainly ask him about it when I drop by the shop again because it seems like a logical possibility as to why the right most passenger vent wasn't as warm as the others. For reference, the middle passenger side one also isn't "as" warm as the driver mid and left so further drives the point home about the blender door.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3570.00
      08-11-2021, 11:52 PM   #8
dadecounty3051
Rep

Quote:
@F32Fleet It wasn't ruled out but on the other hand, my mechanic didn't explicitly say to me that he was going to look into it. My assumption was that if he was going to do a flush, I'd also assume he would've checked the door but while watching at the shop, didn't seem like that took place.

I'll certainly ask him about it when I drop by the shop again because it seems like a logical possibility as to why the right most passenger vent wasn't as warm as the others. For reference, the middle passenger side one also isn't "as" warm as the driver mid and left so further drives the point home about the blender door.
Any solution lately?
This past winter it got to the point that it got down to like 18 degrees and the whole heater system was blowing cold air. Fast forward to a few days ago I got a CEL regarding my thermostat. If the thermostat went bad it leaves the thermostat opened and it might not allow the coolant to get warm before it passes through the heater core. Though I may be wrong because at around 34 degrees the heater on my side works n the passenger side is still blows cold.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 11:58 PM   #9
imperfectluck
Lieutenant
Rep

@dadecounty3051 So last I recall since it's summer here, the flush did alleviate the heating issues to a good degree but the heat on the driver's side was still noticeably warmer than on the passenger side still. I don't think it's a thermostat issue since one side gets warm as opposed to none but more so the actuator that controls how the flow of heat passes to both sides. In the next few months I'll drop by and ask again post flush that it's still there though I think he acknowledged it and since the passenger side was reasonably warm I said I could live with it for now.
Appreciate 0