F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Grinding noise from center console.
ARMA SPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-05-2021, 02:42 PM   #45
rooosh798
Private
rooosh798's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i
Join Date: May 2020
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooosh798 View Post
I think I may have the same issue on my 2017 340. It seems to only make the noise under hard acceleration when I floor the gas and the car is under full load. Linked a short video showing what I am hearing.

Any suggestions on what the issue could be besides the e brake lines rubbing are also welcome.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eYXLtnvdzlXW-Y4dxA9Wzdh7v4aUP9Fl/view?usp=sharing
Yup, you have the same issue with the e-brake cable rubbing on the driveshaft. Easy zip tie fix and my mechanical skills are very limited. If I can do it, anyone can
Update: dealer found the clip holding the e brake cables broken and replaced it under warranty.
__________________
_______________
340i Mineral Grey - M Sport package - Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
F30lolz5107.00
      03-05-2021, 09:05 PM   #46
RobF30
Registered
3
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 328i Sportline
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The zip tie method works perfectly 😎👍
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 2
F30lolz5107.00
Sterek20.50
      03-23-2021, 08:08 AM   #47
mfstrby
Second Lieutenant
mfstrby's Avatar
Canada
98
Rep
215
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 1
      09-25-2021, 04:45 PM   #48
Zwalters
Registered
2
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 2015 f30
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (0)

This right here is the answer:
https://agatools.com/products/brake-line-bracket

Don’t buy the original part, it’s a pain to install. This aftermarket comes in 2 pieces and is way easier to install. It’s worth the extra $$. I did the zip ties and could never get it quite enough for me.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2021, 09:06 AM   #49
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
F30lolz's Avatar
United_States
5107
Rep
3,141
Posts

Drives: 09 335i/11 CTS Coupe/15 428 GC
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Miami, FL/Shelbyville, IN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 CTS Coupe  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
2015 428 GC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwalters View Post
This right here is the answer:
https://agatools.com/products/brake-line-bracket

Donít buy the original part, itís a pain to install. This aftermarket comes in 2 pieces and is way easier to install. Itís worth the extra $$. I did the zip ties and could never get it quite enough for me.
Iím on 13 months and have driven over 100k miles (not a typo) using the zip tie method on my f36 and theyíre holding up well. Just have to use two zip ties for each parking brake cable to insure a tight fit. While I understand some folks may be skeptical of how long the zip ties will hold up, Iíll stand by the fact that itís the best/cheapest solution.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorKTM View Post
Also our E90 330 and 325 will soon have some sort of boost. So there is actually more of a chance to get more hp out of a 330 then a 335 in my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmf80 View Post
Seems like ur out of touch with baseball a bit. A few years behind.
You didnít know who Hader was. And Kershaw is a mess in the playoffs. No thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 07:23 PM   #50
Randy Johnson
BM3
171
Rep
557
Posts

Drives: BMW 435i GC M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Miami FL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
It funny how I find these posts now after I was chasing this issue for 6 months. It really affected driving the vehicle. I took most of the car apart thinking it was an interior part rattling. I found it on chance when doing an exhaust mod. OP has the best sound recording I have ever heard. Stupid BMW engineers!!!
__________________
435i GC M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 04:44 PM   #51
SoCal_NSX
Captain
SoCal_NSX's Avatar
1532
Rep
981
Posts

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Temecula, Ca

iTrader: (1)

gotta love this forum...my 2015 428i just started doing this.

43K mile CPO...gonna call today to see if they will cover it...if not, zip ties it is
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 05:10 PM   #52
SoCal_NSX
Captain
SoCal_NSX's Avatar
1532
Rep
981
Posts

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Temecula, Ca

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
It funny how I find these posts now after I was chasing this issue for 6 months. It really affected driving the vehicle. I took most of the car apart thinking it was an interior part rattling. I found it on chance when doing an exhaust mod. OP has the best sound recording I have ever heard. Stupid BMW engineers!!!

haha...my car started doing this the other day and it sounded like it was coming from the rear passenger side, but my wife said it sounded like it was coming from rear driver side as we were driving...so I pulled over and hoped in back seat and pin pointed the noise to the center console.

googled "weird noise from center console 428i" and first link sent me to this thread...mystery solved


google everything you have a question about, it's pretty amazing
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 09:54 AM   #53
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
F30lolz's Avatar
United_States
5107
Rep
3,141
Posts

Drives: 09 335i/11 CTS Coupe/15 428 GC
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Miami, FL/Shelbyville, IN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 CTS Coupe  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
2015 428 GC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
gotta love this forum...my 2015 428i just started doing this.

43K mile CPO...gonna call today to see if they will cover it...if not, zip ties it is
IIRC CPO wonít cover this but doesnít hurt to ask. My bro in law just purchased a 2015 328i Sportline with around 95k miles and he doesnít have this rattle yet, though I believe itís inevitable. Amazing how much dealers/repair shops charge for this repair when out of factory warranty.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorKTM View Post
Also our E90 330 and 325 will soon have some sort of boost. So there is actually more of a chance to get more hp out of a 330 then a 335 in my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmf80 View Post
Seems like ur out of touch with baseball a bit. A few years behind.
You didnít know who Hader was. And Kershaw is a mess in the playoffs. No thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 01:00 PM   #54
thejeremyman9
Major General
thejeremyman9's Avatar
2666
Rep
5,192
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
IIRC CPO wonít cover this but doesnít hurt to ask. My bro in law just purchased a 2015 328i Sportline with around 95k miles and he doesnít have this rattle yet, though I believe itís inevitable. Amazing how much dealers/repair shops charge for this repair when out of factory warranty.
CPO warranty covered it for me. Book labor requires dropping the gas tank and other components which causes the high dealer cost.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1708574
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 02:17 PM   #55
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
F30lolz's Avatar
United_States
5107
Rep
3,141
Posts

Drives: 09 335i/11 CTS Coupe/15 428 GC
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Miami, FL/Shelbyville, IN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 CTS Coupe  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
2015 428 GC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
CPO warranty covered it for me. Book labor requires dropping the gas tank and other components which causes the high dealer cost.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1708574
Thatís great. I think a poster here or on another thread got declined under CPO for this issue.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorKTM View Post
Also our E90 330 and 325 will soon have some sort of boost. So there is actually more of a chance to get more hp out of a 330 then a 335 in my opinion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmf80 View Post
Seems like ur out of touch with baseball a bit. A few years behind.
You didnít know who Hader was. And Kershaw is a mess in the playoffs. No thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 07:31 AM   #56
Timebomb
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2015 335i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (0)

I too got the diagnosis from this thread, and did the zip tie fix pending confirmation from the dealer it would be a covered repair. The part was replaced last week under the extended warranty program. My SA said that they also cover replacement under the CPO warranty. I am bringing it back to the dealer today because the parking brake doesn't engage after the repair. Take home message: do a post-maintenance check on the function of the e-brake before you drive off the lot. The bill was $610.00. Nine bucks for the part and $600 for labor (3+ hours billed). If you're out of warranty, or the dealer balks at covering it, you can buy a lot of zip ties for $600, and that "fix" literally took me 5 minutes under the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 08:35 AM   #57
2017F30
Private
30
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: 2017 330iX AT
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

No TIS was ever issued?

Whatís the dealerís fix? Simply replacing the clip?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 12:40 PM   #58
thejeremyman9
Major General
thejeremyman9's Avatar
2666
Rep
5,192
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017F30 View Post
No TIS was ever issued?

Whatís the dealerís fix? Simply replacing the clip?
Drop gas tank and other things "in the way" and replace the clip.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 01:31 PM   #59
tacio25
New Member
United_States
11
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2014 X5 sDrive 35i
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Temecula, CA

iTrader: (0)

Just did mine with some heavy duty zip ties. Such a relief!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 03:58 AM   #60
Sterek
New Member
21
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: f30 340i
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacio25 View Post
Just did mine with some heavy duty zip ties. Such a relief!
much love!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 04:01 AM   #61
Sterek
New Member
21
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: f30 340i
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: cali

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
haha...my car started doing this the other day and it sounded like it was coming from the rear passenger side, but my wife said it sounded like it was coming from rear driver side as we were driving...so I pulled over and hoped in back seat and pin pointed the noise to the center console.

googled "weird noise from center console 428i" and first link sent me to this thread...mystery solved


google everything you have a question about, it's pretty amazing
yeah, the damn noise had me tripping out, i opened the center console and was curious as to where it was coming from. A little investigating on google lead me to the Ebrake cable dragging on driveshaft. After getting the car up on the lift i noticed that the cable had wear marks and decided to zip tie it up instead of the infamous clip replacement.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 06:16 PM   #62
SoCal_NSX
Captain
SoCal_NSX's Avatar
1532
Rep
981
Posts

Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Temecula, Ca

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterek View Post
yeah, the damn noise had me tripping out, i opened the center console and was curious as to where it was coming from. A little investigating on google lead me to the Ebrake cable dragging on driveshaft. After getting the car up on the lift i noticed that the cable had wear marks and decided to zip tie it up instead of the infamous clip replacement.

was it as easy as removing the heat shield or did you have to do other things also to get to it?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 02:08 PM   #63
iluis7i
New Member
iluis7i's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 328i
Join Date: May 2020
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
was it as easy as removing the heat shield or did you have to do other things also to get to it?
I did this job yesterday and it is not as simple as just removing the heatshield. You have to remove the entire exhaust system to remove the heatshield. Then drop the fuel tank slightly in order to remove the clip from the existing groove it is in. The driveshaft causes clearance issues so you are very limited with space.
__________________
-Luis A.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 04:47 PM   #64
Chaos236
Second Lieutenant
Chaos236's Avatar
92
Rep
286
Posts

Drives: Porsche Cayenne , 640 GC
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Columbus Ohio

iTrader: (0)

I used zip ties, bought the clip, just kept zip ties on . Car got totaledÖreally miss it.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST