F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > How to remove scratch in safety glass?
proTUNING Freaks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-20-2021, 02:03 PM   #1
steveindabmer
Private
38
Rep
94
Posts

Drives: 2019 440i Xdrive M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Allentown

iTrader: (0)

How to remove scratch in safety glass?

Anyone know how to remove a scratch in safety glass. This is on the inside and looks to be in the film that makes it "safety glass".
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 04:01 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
Billfitz's Avatar
United_States
5755
Rep
12,165
Posts

Drives: '15 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

If it's in the film there's no fix, that film is sandwiched between the inner and outer glass layers.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2021, 08:25 PM   #3
steveindabmer
Private
38
Rep
94
Posts

Drives: 2019 440i Xdrive M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Allentown

iTrader: (0)

oh ok well it cant be the inner film than as i can feel it.

i did it with my stupid watch when i was cleaning the window.

Ive heard of trying toothpaste. I have cutting cream too. Might try one of those but dont want to make it worse....thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
If it's in the film there's no fix, that film is sandwiched between the inner and outer glass layers.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 10:15 PM   #4
eleven11
Major
eleven11's Avatar
United_States
235
Rep
1,282
Posts

Drives: -F85 X5M-
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Derby City

iTrader: (0)

Check online about products from Novus.
__________________
2017 X5M - Current
2017 F31 Wagon - Current
2014 M5 ZCP - Retired
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2021, 10:50 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
Billfitz's Avatar
United_States
5755
Rep
12,165
Posts

Drives: '15 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Getting out scratches in glass is very difficult, time consuming, and can make it worse by causing distortion in the glass. And that's if you're an expert.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #6
Skyhigh
Colonel
Skyhigh's Avatar
1111
Rep
2,548
Posts

Drives: BMW F36
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Forget it! Nothing you can do on the inside. The outside can be polished, but you need a polishing machine, the right cutting compound (for glass!), the right pads and lots of patience! Nothing you can apply on the inside, unfortunately.

Toothpaste!? Really? At least it will smell better
__________________
"Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in cars and women."
Appreciate 1
Billfitz5755.00
      09-23-2021, 10:56 PM   #7
Onizukachan
Great Teacher
Onizukachan's Avatar
United_States
314
Rep
650
Posts

Drives: F31d
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: El Paso

iTrader: (0)

Classic Colgate is a very very fine abrasive.

Used to use it on plastics and such as a polish, back in the good old days… doubt it would do anything much on glass though.


I did use it on my iPhone to minimize the appearance of a scratch, but it won’t take it out amd requires elbow grease. What you have jsut learned is don’t wear a watch, jeans with studs, or a belt when cleaning your car.
__________________
15 F31d M-Sport with the usual OEM+ mods:
LCI AC controller +Anthracite trim & vent, F80 paddles + extendable merino armrest + merino knee bolster, EU headlight switch, 340/330 brake upgrade, KW Street Comfort coilovers, Match UP7BMW + Earthquake 8xi.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 08:51 AM   #8
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
Billfitz's Avatar
United_States
5755
Rep
12,165
Posts

Drives: '15 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

I haven't worn a watch for going on 20 years, nor used a camera for the last ten. When you've always go a cell phone in your pocket where's the need?

I polish my windshield yearly with cerium oxide. A half an hour with a high speed buffer only takes out very minor scratches. Anything deep enough to be felt with a finger nail is permanent.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 09:18 AM   #9
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
375
Rep
830
Posts

Drives: BMW 435i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Swansea, IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I haven't worn a watch for going on 20 years, nor used a camera for the last ten. When you've always go a cell phone in your pocket where's the need?

I polish my windshield yearly with cerium oxide. A half an hour with a high speed buffer only takes out very minor scratches. Anything deep enough to be felt with a finger nail is permanent.
How does that process work for all the pits these crazy soft BMW windshields collect over time?

What pads do you use? I've got a full set up for paint, but I've never taken on glass. After driving into the low sunrise this morning, I noticed all the pits in the glass really effects visibility.
__________________
Stop by and check out my blog: The Car Geek
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 11:40 AM   #10
steveindabmer
Private
38
Rep
94
Posts

Drives: 2019 440i Xdrive M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Allentown

iTrader: (0)

Its a matter of info and battery life.

Sometimes I only need the time and years ago i saw a post about "how to extend your smartphone battery". One tip was to wear a simple watch so there was no need to power up your screen just to see the time. I was surprised how effective that was. Some of us dont have the luxury of being able to plug in all the time. Ive been wearing a watch ever since. Prob dont need it now with much better android versions and better hardware but i dont mind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I haven't worn a watch for going on 20 years, nor used a camera for the last ten. When you've always go a cell phone in your pocket where's the need?

I polish my windshield yearly with cerium oxide. A half an hour with a high speed buffer only takes out very minor scratches. Anything deep enough to be felt with a finger nail is permanent.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 11:44 AM   #11
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
Billfitz's Avatar
United_States
5755
Rep
12,165
Posts

Drives: '15 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
How does that process work for all the pits these crazy soft BMW windshields collect over time?
Better than nothing, but deep pits can't be removed.

Quote:
What pads do you use?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2021, 12:55 PM   #12
Skyhigh
Colonel
Skyhigh's Avatar
1111
Rep
2,548
Posts

Drives: BMW F36
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I haven't worn a watch for going on 20 years, nor used a camera for the last ten. When you've always go a cell phone in your pocket where's the need?

I polish my windshield yearly with cerium oxide. A half an hour with a high speed buffer only takes out very minor scratches. Anything deep enough to be felt with a finger nail is permanent.
Offtopic, but - you reach for your phone in your pocket every time you want to know the time?
Very time-efficient time checking 😄

With smart watches, I also enjoy the reduced necessity to go for my phone.

This said - I remove my watch every time I don't really need it - whether it is when being at home or when detailing the car, where it can be dangerous as well, as proven. Or whenever it can get damaged, like today, when I was moving furniture all day.
__________________
"Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in cars and women."
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 01:45 PM   #13
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
Billfitz's Avatar
United_States
5755
Rep
12,165
Posts

Drives: '15 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

I have clocks in every room of my house, I have a clock in my car. The average number of times a day that I need to know what time it is when I'm not in my house or car is around 0.3.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 01:50 PM   #14
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
375
Rep
830
Posts

Drives: BMW 435i
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Swansea, IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindabmer View Post
Anyone know how to remove a scratch in safety glass. This is on the inside and looks to be in the film that makes it "safety glass".
I noticed something else when looking at the pictures. You have the HUD an this scratch looks to be in/near the area it projects onto the windshield.

From what I understand, there is a special film on the inside of the glass to make the HUD work correctly. No way you'll be able to polish without damaging that film.


RE: Watches. I always wear one. Between my parents raising me to be nearly fanatical about being punctual in a time long before cell phones and a professional career which demanded it, I feel naked without one. There are MANY times I don't have my phone with me (intentional or not), but I'm rarely without a watch.
__________________
Stop by and check out my blog: The Car Geek
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2021, 04:25 PM   #15
steveindabmer
Private
38
Rep
94
Posts

Drives: 2019 440i Xdrive M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Allentown

iTrader: (0)

Nah its honestly not really near the HUD...i think its an optical illusion. Think its just the angle i took the pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
I noticed something else when looking at the pictures. You have the HUD an this scratch looks to be in/near the area it projects onto the windshield.

From what I understand, there is a special film on the inside of the glass to make the HUD work correctly. No way you'll be able to polish without damaging that film.


RE: Watches. I always wear one. Between my parents raising me to be nearly fanatical about being punctual in a time long before cell phones and a professional career which demanded it, I feel naked without one. There are MANY times I don't have my phone with me (intentional or not), but I'm rarely without a watch.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 04:48 PM   #16
Skyhigh
Colonel
Skyhigh's Avatar
1111
Rep
2,548
Posts

Drives: BMW F36
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindabmer View Post
Nah its honestly not really near the HUD...i think its an optical illusion. Think its just the angle i took the pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
I noticed something else when looking at the pictures. You have the HUD an this scratch looks to be in/near the area it projects onto the windshield.

From what I understand, there is a special film on the inside of the glass to make the HUD work correctly. No way you'll be able to polish without damaging that film.


RE: Watches. I always wear one. Between my parents raising me to be nearly fanatical about being punctual in a time long before cell phones and a professional career which demanded it, I feel naked without one. There are MANY times I don't have my phone with me (intentional or not), but I'm rarely without a watch.
The vicinity to the HUD plays no role. HUD equipped cars have a different windshield (all of it) with an additional reflective layer.
__________________
"Large increases in cost with questionable increases in performance can be tolerated only in cars and women."
Appreciate 2
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST