F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > The cat pegged it
ARMA SPEED

12-09-2020, 01:33 PM   #1
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

The cat pegged it

... but not in a good way.

I'm not actually a cat lover. We have a couple of Jack Russels but the better half likes them.

Anyway this one I guess got under my skin. I mean after 17 years you can't ignore him. He was a British Blue and was well known in the neighbourhood. The daft bugger would hop through bedroom windows and sleep on random beds having worked his way over conservatory roofs.

Last year someone popped round and thanked me for being 'his dad'...their kid had learning difficulties and the mog spent a decade visiting and in the words of the neighbour was a massive and calming influence in his upbringing.

Anyway the old fella was always 100% loyal returning from his travels everyday .Even 'cat woman ' the well known cat thief of the neighbourhood couldn't tempt him away. On one occasion he stole a bag of 'cat nip' (cat owners will know this stuff - it sends them nuts they love it) and came home with it ..the old bag knocked on the door asking for it back.

When I walked the dogs he would follow, then go up ahead on the trailway and leap at the dogs from the trees before legging it with them in pursuit. A real character, no other cats messed with him, he was a big lad but gentle with it.

As he got older he spent more time indoors, he was everywhere. He totally took over my TV viewing seat in the lounge, the jack russels worshipped him. When he got up at night to go into the utility (where his bed was ) the dogs would follow. One dog even moved into the ultility with him.

In the last year his health failed, we had bloods done etc, he became totally focussed on food and the weight was dropping away. He also wanted body warmth and cuddles with the better half. Every other day we were thinking when do we make that last visit to the vet!

The night before last we heard a massive yowl from the upstairs landing, we got him downstairs and the old fella just let go, collapsed, lost all bowel control and typical I guess of a heart attack or stroke.

It was heart breaking seeing him suffer. We managed to get him to the vet at 2230hrs, after a quick examination we were told that in addition to the seizure he also had a tumour in his stomach that must have come on since the last vet visit..but would explain the weight loss.

Finally and this was the bit that really hurt. The better half went through to the room to comfort him for the euthanasia. I think she thought he would just fall asleep but it was a totally horrific experience- it didnt go well , he fought it with every ounce and it was heartbreaking.

Just trying to get used to him not being around, the dogs are perplexed.
Appreciate 13
Tengocity8567.00
simon.922.00
335dX430.00
Rbrown2765.50
JD64270.50
Paddy1975198.00
Harryg276.00
Roo1283.00
Wills28656.00
KRS_SN13535.50
      12-09-2020, 01:46 PM   #2
XAlp
Major
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 T6

That’s sad. Best wishes to you and the better half.
Appreciate 1
JR16641146.50
      12-09-2020, 01:46 PM   #3
philiper1
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F21 M135i LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post

I'm not actually a cat lover. We have a couple of Jack Russels but the better half likes them.

Anyway this one I guess got under my skin. I mean after 17 years you can't ignore him. He was a British Blue and was well known in the neighbourhood. The daft bugger would hop through bedroom windows and sleep on random beds having worked his way over conservatory roofs.

Last year someone popped round and thanked me for being 'his dad'...their kid had learning difficulties and the mog spent a decade visiting and in the words of the neighbour was a massive and calming influence in his upbringing.

Anyway the old fella was always 100% loyal returning from his travels everyday .Even 'cat woman ' the well known cat thief of the neighbourhood couldn't tempt him away. On one occasion he stole a bag of 'cat nip' (cat owners will know this stuff - it sends them nuts they love it) and came home with it ..the old bag knocked on the door asking for it back.

When I walked the dogs he would follow, then go up ahead on the trailway and leap at the dogs from the trees before legging it with them in pursuit. A real character, no other cats messed with him, he was a big lad but gentle with it.

As he got older he spent more time indoors, he was everywhere. He totally took over my TV viewing seat in the lounge, the jack russels worshipped him. When he got up at night to go into the utility (where his bed was ) the dogs would follow. One dog even moved into the ultility with him.

In the last year his health failed, we had bloods done etc, he became totally focussed on food and the weight was dropping away. He also wanted body warmth and cuddles with the better half. Every other day we were thinking when do we make that last visit to the vet!

The night before last we heard a massive yowl from the upstairs landing, we got him downstairs and the old fella just let go, collapsed, lost all bowel control and typical I guess of a heart attack or stroke.

It was heart breaking seeing him suffer. We managed to get him to the vet at 2230hrs, after a quick examination we were told that in addition to the seizure he also had a tumour in his stomach that must have come on since the last vet visit..but would explain the weight loss.

Finally and this was the bit that really hurt. The better half went through to the room to comfort him for the euthanasia. I think she thought he would just fall asleep but it was a totally horrific experience- it didnt go well , he fought it with every ounce and it was heartbreaking.

So sorry to read your story and experience 😔 considering you say you are not a cat lover, there is so much emotion in your post which shows what an interesting creature you had and cared for 👍🏻hopefully your other half feels better about it sooner
JR16641146.50
      12-09-2020, 01:47 PM   #4
bytejunkie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive M Sport

sorry for your loss. im worried weve got the same coming with our lab. you dont realise how soft on them you get.
Appreciate 1
JR16641146.50
      12-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #5
Armaan
Major
Rep
Drives: F30 320i Sport Remapped

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR1664 View Post

We have had our Russian Blue just over a year and I was in the same boat as you...but even now she is just such a character and really makes the house a home. Not sure where we'd be through lockdown without her.

Very sad story and they genuinely just become part of the furniture.

Wish you all the best and the other half, it'll take time to adjust to a new norm after so long.

Silver lining is that even he didn't want to go, they are fighters at the best of times.

Armaan
Appreciate 1
JR16641146.50
      12-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #6
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Sorry to hear your loss. Sounds like it will be a huge gap in the family. I don't think it's really about being a cat lover or not, but knowing that this personality is a proper part of your family or household.

We've got 3 cats and a dog, and one of the cats is really getting on now at well over 15 years, and we're at the vets pretty regularly too. I do hope it's a peaceful end when it comes.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
JR16641146.50
      12-09-2020, 11:14 PM   #7
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

My sympathies, Sir. It stinks when a long term pet dies. Lost my last bird this year. I'd had him for 9.5 years and he was over 22 years old, a good age for a cockatiel.
Appreciate 1
JR16641146.50
      12-10-2020, 12:38 AM   #8
335dX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Astra Hybrid | Corsa Ultimate

Well that got me in the feels.

Lost my old boy 6 years ago on the 7th December. He had diabetes for the preceding 6 months and it was hell on earth with home blood tests and administering insulin daily.

Thankfully my experience of euthanising him was better. The day he died was a Sunday, he’d been back at the vets the day and night before as he was keto again. I collected him at 0900, called the vet an hour later and he came out and Bob was on my lap and we cuddled whilst John (the vet) administered the jab. His death crippled me mentally as this little white cat had seen me through 5 family deaths, my own mental health issues when I was 22/23 and so much more. He had been the one consistency in my life and he’d gone.....

His mate that had been with him for 14 years died 4 months later of a broken heart...the vet found nothing wrong with Jake, he simply stopped eating and drinking.

I now have 3 cats, they are my babies as I don’t / can’t have children and we’re both full time workers so a dog wouldn’t work.

Wow, didn’t think I’d outpour like this....sorry to hijack your thread. I guess what I’m trying to say is I feel your pain.
Appreciate 1
JR16641146.50
      12-10-2020, 01:00 AM   #9
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

I dont like cats - not helped by being badly allergic to them - but yours sounded like a real loveable character. Tough ending, sorry to hear.
Appreciate 1
JR16641146.50
      12-10-2020, 02:00 AM   #10
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Sorry for your loss, and I very much feel your pain.

2 months ago, we had two cats, but had to have one of them put to sleep due to her age (over 20 - had her from a kitten), and failing health. That was the toughest thing I've been through for a long time, and still haven't really got over it.

That left us with one. We got her from the RSPCA as a rescue cat about 10 years ago. She was a nervous wreck when she arrived, and we hardly saw her for the first six months. She hid behind the sofa, and only came out at night to use the litter tray. We had to push the food bowl behind the sofa for her to eat. Over the years, she gained confidence and become the most loving, affectionate cat you could ever ask for. She was absolutely 'one of the family'. She would sleep on my lap every evening, and only got off when I went to bed.

I could go on for ages talking about her, and I'm welling up typing this, but we took her to the vets on Tuesday for a CT scan to investigate a persistent cough. Unfortunately there were complications when they were bringing her round from the anaesthetic, and she didn't make it. I'm absolutely devastated. Couldn't go to work yesterday. I'm going to try today, just to keep my mind busy.

Just coming downstairs this morning was tough. I didn't have my little friend waiting there for me. The house just feels cold and empty...
Appreciate 4
335dX430.00
JR16641146.50
Armaan714.50
Harryg276.00
      12-10-2020, 03:10 AM   #11
JR1664
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Many thanks for the comments and sorry to hear of some of the other stories. They really do get under your skin in a good way. When you have an animal put down why are you always left with this damned feeling of guilt, even though you know its the correct thing to do. Anyway thanks for reading and sharing, its given me some closure .

Last edited by JR1664; 12-10-2020 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 03:23 AM   #12
Russbmw
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 630iGT sport

Garage List
It's bloody horrible when they go, I feel for you mate.

A number of years back we had a rescue cat who did the hiding behind the sofa thing. Not long after he'd decided we were ok, he got properly sick - no idea what with or why, but I dashed him to the vet in the car and the poor bugger just snuffed it in my arms as I was running to the vet.

My ex had one of her cat's put down, he was really old - we'd had him since we were together, everything was just failing on him and similar to you, having him put down was the only right thing to do. My ex couldn't face being there with him, so asked if I could - which I did - it's awful, even when it goes right. Chewed me right up, and he wasn't even a regular part of my life anymore.

More recently, one of our 2 (were sisters) got runover, apparently - only found out because I was asking if anyone had seen him on a facebook group as he'd not been back for days and someone said they saw a black cat at the kerbside, but it had gone a few hours later - council apparently hadn't collected it either. Different kind of shit that one, as no closure at all.

Last edited by Russbmw; 12-10-2020 at 06:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
JR16641146.50
      12-10-2020, 05:21 AM   #13
Ronstein
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: 2019 640i GT MSport

As with other posters, sorry for your sad loss. Many cat stories I could tell. We're on cat number 7 in our 29 years together and every one has been a unique character from aloof to friendly (as in in-your-face friendly). We've lost them young and old (oldest was 24!) and the current incumbent (Precious - we're her 4th family) is 15 now and took 3 years to really settle in.

When we lost her predecessor at 24, Sue decided that we'd have a break of at least a year with no animals. She agreed to take on Precious from a lady at work whose mum had died 24 hours later :-)

They're a massive loss and leave a huge hole, but the joy and amusement they bring is immeasurable.
- 2016 335D Touring M Sport X-drive
- 2014 335D GT X-Drive MSport
Appreciate 1
JR16641146.50