F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > transmission fluid
Extreme Powerhouse

12-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #67
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

random but seeing that we can monitor the transmission oil temps what are the operating temps of the gearbox?

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:14 PM   #68
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Xdrive Coupe

I emailed ZF after dealer didn't even give me a price quote and said BMW doesn't recommend replacing the transmission fluid and that it's a life time fill, maybe at 100k miles or so. And this is the reply I got:
Attached Images

12-15-2018, 08:01 AM   #69
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba77W View Post
I emailed ZF after dealer didn't even give me a price quote and said BMW doesn't recommend replacing the transmission fluid and that it's a life time fill, maybe at 100k miles or so. And this is the reply I got:
This is nothing new and it has been mentioned numerous times on the forums.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 08:13 AM   #70
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Ivanov View Post
It is not very clear, there is already a general opinion - whether it is necessary to change the oil in the automatic transmission or not (as official dealers say)?
I'll even put the question in another - is it dangerous?
I do not know how you are, but in Russia on the services there is an opinion that if the oil in the automatic transmission has not been replaced by a run of 100,000 km then it is already dangerous to replace it (it's unclear why).

P.S. Car, if it matters - 320D (rear-wheel drive), the mileage is already 150.000km
100,000km is only 60k miles which is right in the middle of ZF's "servere service" fluid refresh interval. In the US ZF recommends a 100k mile(166k km) change interval for normal driving.

In the US repair shops would recommend not to change the fluid IF the original fluid was still in it and the unit had over 100k MILES. The fear was twofold: #1 New fluid would dislodge varnish which would then clog a passage way and cause shift problems. #2 The old fluid had clutch material floating around in it and taking that away would cause shift problems.

Neither are really an issue with today's mechtronics and sealed units. There just isn't a lot of oxidation and oil analysis seems to support that.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #71
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Ok well let me just delete my post since it's so unuseful... Seriously? This is an informational forum the more information the better. I for one have never seen an official statement on these forums from ZF regarding fluid change interval, so if I can help the next guy find it that much quicker I think it's worth it. And pretty much every topic on bimmerpost has been talked about numerous times so who cares?
      12-15-2018, 10:39 AM   #72
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Ok well let me just delete my post since it's so unuseful... Seriously? This is an informational forum the more information the better. I for one have never seen an official statement on these forums from ZF regarding fluid change interval, so if I can help the next guy find it that much quicker I think it's worth it. And pretty much every topic on bimmerpost has been talked about numerous times so who cares?
I'm not purposely trying to be an ass. I'm just saying that there are numerous posts for this sort of thing.

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #73
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not purposely trying to be an ass. I'm just saying that there are numerous posts for this sort of thing.
Well then just ignore the post if it's no good to you. Others might feel different.