F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Useless Bankers!
proTUNING Freaks

03-30-2024, 08:48 AM   #1
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: EB 335 oil burner

Useless Bankers!

Credit card bill received 10days ago. (>£1k).

Scheduled payment setup a week ago to pay bill on due date, 29th March with Virgin Bank.

(Done something similar every month for years....)

Just happened to notice this morning (30th), the money has not left my virgin bank account. But the payment has disppeared off the scheduled payments list. (It was on there yesterday!).

Checked credit card online account, £12 late fee, as no payment has been made.

Phoned the bank.
'Ah well sir, the 29th is a bank holiday, the money will arrive with the CC company on Tuesday'.

FFS!
All the computers have gone on holiday for the weekend?

So there is 3 days interest, £12 late fee, plus credit rating score affects and bugger all I can do about it until Tuesday.

Having made a complaint, 'someone will call you on Tuesday as the office doesn't work over the weekend'.

Happy Easter.
      03-30-2024, 10:49 AM   #2
crAbb
As above, so it is below
Rep
Drives: M340i

Computers need holidays too....
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 10:52 AM   #3
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

That does sound like a pain, but why not just set up a full balance direct debit, then it becomes their responsibility to schedule payments and there should never be a late fee. I’ve done this for 30+ years with every credit card and have never needed to give a second thought to it.
Appreciate 2
Wills28657.50
TimMcC510.00
      03-30-2024, 11:25 AM   #4
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
That does sound like a pain, but why not just set up a full balance direct debit, then it becomes their responsibility to schedule payments and there should never be a late fee. I’ve done this for 30+ years with every credit card and have never needed to give a second thought to it.
Same here.

It’s 100% cleared every month. Nothing to think about. No late payments.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 12:41 PM   #5
martin10chk
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 316i, F21 M135i (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Same here.

It’s 100% cleared every month. Nothing to think about. No late payments.
Same again here - did this having once had (many years ago) the same nonsense as OP.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 02:06 PM   #6
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanasBack View Post
Credit card bill received 10days ago. (>£1k).

Scheduled payment setup a week ago to pay bill on due date, 29th March with Virgin Bank.

(Done something similar every month for years....)

Just happened to notice this morning (30th), the money has not left my virgin bank account. But the payment has disppeared off the scheduled payments list. (It was on there yesterday!).

Checked credit card online account, £12 late fee, as no payment has been made.

Phoned the bank.
'Ah well sir, the 29th is a bank holiday, the money will arrive with the CC company on Tuesday'.

FFS!
All the computers have gone on holiday for the weekend?

So there is 3 days interest, £12 late fee, plus credit rating score affects and bugger all I can do about it until Tuesday.

Having made a complaint, 'someone will call you on Tuesday as the office doesn't work over the weekend'.

Happy Easter.
So are you saying the due date was the 29th (a bank holiday)?
I have NEVER seen a due date for a credit card bill on a bank holiday in 35 years of having them. It has always been the last working day before or the first working day after IME.

Mine are due on Tuesday (2nd April), but I paid them on Thursday because I'm old and get confused with days/ dates when public holidays come around!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 02:33 PM   #7
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

My Other Half - an ex-Bank employee strenuously objects to setting up Direct Debits to pay her Credit Card bills - just DD the minimum. Then goes through the rigmarole of marking on the calendar a couple of days before for each bill. Then the rigmarole of going to her on line banking - she refuses to use an App, so needs to use one of those keypad things. She has two that look identical, but aren't!
Takes all sorts.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 03:06 PM   #8
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I have never liked the idea of the full amount direct debit.
I also don't like mobile phone app banking.

The CC company have sent a phone txt message stating the payment is overdue, and I can pay by calling 'this number'.

The irony is, I can't stop the original payment which will be paid on Tuesday.
If I pay now, I'll be £1k+ in credit on Tuesday!

I could, I suppose, pay the minimum, but I've already copped the none payment fee.

Yes, the due date is always Mon - Fri, never a weekend.
It's just coincidence it happens to be this month on Friday 29th, which is a bank holiday.
I never thought about that when I setup the payment a week or so ago.

It's the first time in 22 years of online banking that's happened.
      03-30-2024, 03:49 PM   #9
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

This is one of the reasons I have never liked full payment DD.

This was an error on one of my monthly card bills.

Thankfully, it wasn't a bank holiday weekend and someone put it right when I telephoned!

Name:  Amex1 redacted.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  53.7 KB
      03-30-2024, 05:38 PM   #10
Somebloke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Easily done, OP. I learnt the hard way long ago. I always schedule to pay the full balance on the due date, taking account of weekends and bank holidays rather than set up a DD as I also learned that they take it a few days early.

I had 2 CC payments due on 1st April, which I set up faster payments for. Then I realised it was a bank holiday so I rescheduled it for Friday, 29th March. Then it dawned on me it was Good Friday so I changed it again to the 28th.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 06:23 AM   #11
NanasBack
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Update on final outcome

Spoke to the bank and CC company.

Virgin bank advised, that's the way the banking system works with 'automated' direct debits.
As a gesture, they would refund the cost of the late payment fee (that the CC company charged). Very good of them.
They also said the refund wasn't dependent on the outcome of my discusion with the CC company - yet to be had.

I received an email from Capital One on the Tuesday, advising they were looking into my complaint and a telephone call from them around a week later.
Bottom line is, that is the way the system works and cannot be changed.
However, they could see it was an unusual situation and agreed to remove the late payment fee and any associated interest charged.

According to 'Which', some CC companies have implemented a scheme where the due date is varied, when Bank Holidays occur. There were around 10 companies on the list I saw, but I'm not sure when that survey was conducted.

So at least, I'm not out of pocket now.
      04-16-2024, 06:36 AM   #12
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

Frustrating!

For similar reasons, i have a D.D set up for the minimum (5%) payment every month.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 08:08 AM   #13
gac
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335d

Garage List
2015 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
Frustrating!

For similar reasons, i have a D.D set up for the minimum (5%) payment every month.
Same. DD for the minimum to make sure I can never forget to pay the minimum and get charges/credit rating dings.

Realistically I pay it all off on payday nowadays with a BACS transfer - but I don't like having a full balance DD just in case I did need to spread over two months. A hangover from a younger, foolish-er me who didn't always spend within his limits where taking 2 or 3 months to clear a purchase was the norm but given that I have a payday shuffling of money to do anyway, this system works for me. And I have a clean credit report with no missed payments since I've had a credit report.
Appreciate 2
danb19791941.50
sahajesh2295.00
      04-17-2024, 02:56 AM   #14
TurboWeasel
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D

Quote:
Originally Posted by gac View Post
Realistically I pay it all off on payday nowadays with a BACS transfer - but I don't like having a full balance DD just in case I did need to spread over two months.
I use BACS as well. I just fling some money over to the CC manually on pay day, which is well within the due date. I never forget as I rarely use CCs, just for the occasional chunky purchase I don't want to attack my savings for, and for some buyer protection if it's an online purchase.

For those that clear the balance every month, just out of curiosity, if you can afford to do that, why have a CC in the first place?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 03:20 AM   #15
gac
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335d

Garage List
2015 BMW 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboWeasel View Post
I use BACS as well. I just fling some money over to the CC manually on pay day, which is well within the due date. I never forget as I rarely use CCs, just for the occasional chunky purchase I don't want to attack my savings for, and for some buyer protection if it's an online purchase.

For those that clear the balance every month, just out of curiosity, if you can afford to do that, why have a CC in the first place?
I find that what works for me is
- get paid into account A, where all my fixed expenses like mortgage/utilities are DDed from
- transfer some into account B, where my debit card spends from on daily stuff like groceries. This means I can never accidentally overspend and cause myself to miss a DD payment
- credit card for anything "unpredictable" like fuel, things that are billed annually and I might forget about (taking out a random amount of money from my bills account in the middle of the month), days out with family and friends (which happen more often a few times a year during school holidays), etc
- whatever isn't paying off my CC on payday gets put into savings so there's no spare money in either current account earning no interest.

That way I know all my monthly bills are always covered, I can't accidentally overspend on daily costs, and since (nowadays) I pay the CC off in full on payday there's no interest on that, so the money is a tiny bit better being in my savings account where it's earning some interest. Also, I believe it helps my credit rating by actually using the credit I have and paying it off on time.

The alternative would be that whatever's spare from my salary simply sits in my current account earning nothing, or I put it into savings but then have to transfer it back out to be available on my debit card when I want to buy something. To my mind, it's just easier to put it on the credit card and then sort the entire balance on payday when I'm shuffling money anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 06:29 AM   #16
Bryans69
Major
Rep
Drives: TTT, MGB (in bits), VW Camper

Garage List
Quote:

We basically put everything that isn't a direct debit on CC. Two reasons :

1) We get points when we used the CC. Not a lot per transaction, but soon adds up

2) If someone clones / steels the card it doesn't affect the main bank account (which happened to my wife a few years back, after fraudulent use of a debit card)
Appreciate 1
DaveA1876.50
      04-17-2024, 06:58 AM   #17
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

In an earlier life I had a Utility company take out £100 peer month instead of £10 (can anyone else remember monthly bills that low!) Working abroad, it didn't get noticed until I got back. Luckily, there was enough in the account to cover it, and the excess money was refunded next day.
Again, working abroad, my credit card was cloned and used extensively around the Far East. The false card was retained by a Retailer when the user panicked and ran from the shop. This was refunded in short order....and I even got cashback on the false transactions....which they didn't ask me to give back.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 07:11 AM   #18
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
In an earlier life I had a Utility company take out £100 peer month instead of £10 (can anyone else remember monthly bills that low!) Working abroad, it didn't get noticed until I got back. Luckily, there was enough in the account to cover it, and the excess money was refunded next day.
Again, working abroad, my credit card was cloned and used extensively around the Far East. The false card was retained by a Retailer when the user panicked and ran from the shop. This was refunded in short order....and I even got cashback on the false transactions....which they didn't ask me to give back.
I once had the bank call me as they thought someone was using my card fraudulently, I was quite excited until I realised it was just my wife out shopping whilst visiting her sister and so in an unusual place for the card to be used!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 03:03 PM   #19
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Buyer prtections are, I believe, better with a credit card than, say, a debit card… also, if you buy something online then return it, refunds mean it’s not coming out of your currrent account… finally, credit cards are easier for travel than debit cards…

Plus I get airline points/miles…
CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0