F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iPhone 15 - Bluetooth Connection Issues on 14' F30
Extreme Powerhouse

09-28-2023, 09:45 AM   #1
Phoenix704
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i

iPhone 15 - Bluetooth Connection Issues on 14' F30

I’m wondering if anyone else is having any bluetooth issues with newer iphones and older cars? I have a 2014 F30 with the non-nav HK system. I coded it to add bluetooth music. The music works fine, but the telephone side is where I’m having issues. The sound is garbled sometimes and it will completely disconnect, requiring me to turnoff bluetooth on my phone and reconnect to the car. Sometimes it takes multiple attempts to get phone over Bluetooth working again.

I never had any issues with my iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 16. This is an iPhone 15 Pro running iOS 17.

Quick anecdote, my girlfriend is having similar issues with her iPhone 14 Pro on her 2016 Audi. I’m wondering if there’s something with the newer bluetooth devices that isn’t playing nice with older interfaces? Maybe someone who knows more about this can shed some light.

I checked BMW’s website for any USB updates and it says no available updates.. although I don’t know how they would know that because the car isn’t connected to the internet. I did update the software when I purchased the car in 2018.

Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2023, 06:41 PM   #2
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Sounding like the IOS isn’t handling legacy mode. Both phones are 5.x bluetooth capable so it’s probably trying to use the newer LC3 mode rather than SBC ( pre bluetooth 5 ).

No doubt apple will correct it with a 17.x.x release as more customers say other older Bluetooth doesn’t work.

I’d be surprised if BMW release any further updates for those older platforms but this is an apple issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 06:55 AM   #3
Phoenix704
Private First Class
Rep

Interesting, thanks! I was unaware of “legacy mode”. Is this just a separate Bluetooth mode to pair with older bluetooth versions like in our cars?

And do you know if the software versions that I posted are the latest for my car? I agree that it’s highly unlikely BMW would release anything further for a 9-10 year old vehicle, but it can’t hurt to at least make sure I’m running the latest software from that time.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 03:37 PM   #4
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Legacy mode is where a Bluetooth 5.x enabled phone should negotiate and drop back to the original a2dp mode. There are improvements with the 5.x standards and it uses a different method of sending and receiving the audio ( sound has greater clarity )

I don’t think apple has this sorted yet but no doubt will sorted in an upcoming release.

For software versions for your F series you can check it below. I’m not sure what the latest is for your system ( guessing NBT )

https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

A bit about a2dp now known as Bluetooth legacy mode . Our F series cars run this mode.

https://www.nfon.com/en/get-started/...se-detail/a2dp

And about the newer LC3 standard that replaces it going forward

https://www.soundguys.com/bluetooth-...plained-28192/
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 03:56 PM   #5
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep

Also one thing you can try doing if you haven’t already.

In IOS settings for Bluetooth force the bmw Bluetooth to Car Stereo Mode.

Find your BMWs Bluetooth and tap the i button. You can then select device type.

Try car stere mode to see if that makes a difference.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
fe7565552.50
      09-30-2023, 09:11 PM   #6
Phoenix704
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealfromNZ View Post
Legacy mode is where a Bluetooth 5.x enabled phone should negotiate and drop back to the original a2dp mode. There are improvements with the 5.x standards and it uses a different method of sending and receiving the audio ( sound has greater clarity )

I don’t think apple has this sorted yet but no doubt will sorted in an upcoming release.

For software versions for your F series you can check it below. I’m not sure what the latest is for your system ( guessing NBT )

https://www.bmw.com/en/footer/software-updates.html

A bit about a2dp now known as Bluetooth legacy mode . Our F series cars run this mode.

https://www.nfon.com/en/get-started/...se-detail/a2dp

And about the newer LC3 standard that replaces it going forward

https://www.soundguys.com/bluetooth-...plained-28192/
Thanks! I believe I have the NBT system. Will check these out!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2023, 11:21 AM   #7
verdespider
verdespider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

2011 Professional Radio Bluetooth iPhone 15 Pro

Having the same issues with my 15 Pro disconnecting from Bluetooth after a call. It will also stop working a few seconds after the call starts with no audio. The BT connection stays but no audio and you have to switch the Speakerphone audio on the iPhone. If you switch back to the car you wont hear the audio.
The only way to get the phone to reconnect is to turn off BT on the head unit and then back on. The iPhone will reconnect no problem but then go back to the same issues as before.
This has happened before usually after I get the new phone but is corrects itself probably from updates that Apple does. My iPhone 11 running iOS 17 has no issues so I agree that it has something to do with the BT 5.3 handling legacy BT devises.
BMW isn't going to fix this, so it's on Apple.
If anyone has a good solution to keep the door chimes while using an aftermarket headhunt I am all ears. I am not a fan of the android CarPlay units and would go with a Pioneer or Alpine unit but do not like the integration with the MOST bus.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 01:44 AM   #8
Lafleur
Rep
Drives: 320d E91N 04/2011

same issue here with brand new iphone 15 pro and latest 17.2 ios version. the first phone call it goes well but after that the bt connection drops and no way to reconnect until stop and restart the cic
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 01:15 AM   #9
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

I also have random bluetooth related connection problems with my SE 2022 on my aftermarket Carplay MMI and the car as well since updating to iOS 17.2. May downgrade to 17.01, if they persist.
      01-02-2024, 09:12 PM   #10
Phoenix704
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdespider View Post
Having the same issues with my 15 Pro disconnecting from Bluetooth after a call. It will also stop working a few seconds after the call starts with no audio. The BT connection stays but no audio and you have to switch the Speakerphone audio on the iPhone. If you switch back to the car you wont hear the audio.
The only way to get the phone to reconnect is to turn off BT on the head unit and then back on. The iPhone will reconnect no problem but then go back to the same issues as before.
This has happened before usually after I get the new phone but is corrects itself probably from updates that Apple does. My iPhone 11 running iOS 17 has no issues so I agree that it has something to do with the BT 5.3 handling legacy BT devises.
BMW isn't going to fix this, so it's on Apple.
If anyone has a good solution to keep the door chimes while using an aftermarket headhunt I am all ears. I am not a fan of the android CarPlay units and would go with a Pioneer or Alpine unit but do not like the integration with the MOST bus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
same issue here with brand new iphone 15 pro and latest 17.2 ios version. the first phone call it goes well but after that the bt connection drops and no way to reconnect until stop and restart the cic
I am continuing to have the same issues as mentioned above. I think that it's something we are going to have to deal with.

I keep my phone disconnected and use speaker phone mostly now. Friends have commented that I sound garbled even when my phone stays connected.

The only alternative that seems like it could work is retrofitting to a newer system. It doesn't seem too difficult if you can source all of the parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 03:44 PM   #11
Lafleur
Rep
Drives: 320d E91N 04/2011

it seams they fixed with ios 17.4? maybe yes... no more disconnection...
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:14 AM   #12
Phoenix704
Private First Class
Rep

No change for me. I’m using speaker phone for 90% of my calls now.
Appreciate 0