F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Under-seat Subwoofer Reviews
proTUNING Freaks

02-06-2020, 09:22 PM   #309
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
in my case from 70hz to 130hz with Butterworth 4th order high pass the excursion limit of 5.5mm might not be an issue for 150w amp.
Sensitivity has less to do with it than the pass band. The GRS will take 80w at 70Hz and the full 100w thermal rating from 90Hz without exceeding xmax.
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but personally based on the specs of each driver, I would only recommend SWS Earthquake if you do not have trunk sub and need to cover freq down to 40hz with an amp of minimum 200W.
Compared to the stock hi-fi woofer and the GRS the SWS only has a significant advantage in maximum SPL below 60Hz, and it needs a 150w amp to do it. If you have a trunk sub there's no point to the SWS.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 02:36 AM   #310
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

Here's another review about GRS sub vs stock HK sub (not cheapo Hifi ver) in 2 series. Note you still need to upgrade your amp to fully drive them. It's quite similar to my experience where the mid bass is more punchy with GRS vs stock. I could feel the kick from the floor panel listening at high volume.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1639699

Last edited by pierreye; 02-24-2020 at 02:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 07:05 AM   #311
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Useful reviews aren't 100% subjective with no objective data. Unfortunately totally subjective reviews are mostly what you see, usually because the reviewer lacks the necessary gear and expertise to provide objective data. This source is an example of how reviews should be done:
http://noaudiophile.com/reviews.php

Where a comparative review is concerned you need to do two reviews, one for the OEM and one for the replacement. If you're going to add another variable into the mix, like an amp, you need to test the OEM with the amp and then test the replacement with the amp.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #312
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Put it this way. We can only share what we had done to the car and based on our subjective listening test. Unless we can get 2 similar cars with similar setup with only the difference of speaker driver, we can't do ABX blind test. Well, it's just a sharing and it's up to the individual to believe in the improvement or what's not. There's no gain personally for me to share this info. I'm not sure if you had done a similar test in your car with different speakers and with measurement. If yes and you tell me there's no improvement, I would respect your opinion. If you only based on the 1W FR graph and said it's no better, then I'm sorry to said that didn't tell the whole story how the driver will perform in real test cause I don't listen at 1W per speakers. As mention, I do compare using the same amp with OEM driver and replacement so that no additional parameters are introduce in the test. I also measure and EQ for both OEM and GRS. Based on the FR measured using REW auto-EQ function calculating the filter to smooth out the peak. Plus I do tell everyone up front, if you listen at low volume, you wouldn't feel much difference. Especially the stock HIFI speakers will break up under high volume.

Why not you get the GRS from part-express to try it out. It's only USD 249 now and with 45 days return policy, you have nothing to lose. Since you have OEM hifi and Earthquake sub, you can share your finding here so that we have other opinion based on listening test, not just on 1W FR graph.

Last edited by pierreye; 02-24-2020 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 09:09 AM   #313
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If I had any interest in replacing my woofers I'd do so, but I don't. Without an improvement to the electronics that there's no point. If you have objective data you should put it out there for all to see. BTW, I never rely on small signal results alone. I always test all my designs at war volume. If I didn't I would be able to create designs like the DR280 and Tuba 60 that make up this nifty little rig:
https://www.facebook.com/dancetronau...type=3&theater
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 06:17 PM   #314
beakungen
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw F34 2016

Hello! Im new to the forum.

I have an Bmw f34 2016. It was originaly the hifisystem in it but the previous owner put harman kardon speakers in. So in front i have the mids and tweeters and also in the center is uppgraded to mid and tweeter and also the same in the backdoors.

The woofers in the floors are also harman kardon. And he put the small plugandplay hk-amp in it aswell.

I changed the poweramp to Match 7upbmw. Ive tried two amps (the first one had some noice so i returned it) and the second one i connected directly to mainpower and the noice is almost not notisable.

But what i do notice is that one of the Hk subs arent well. It sounds distorted even at low volume. It was the same with the first amp aswell.

I didnt hear that problem so much with the hk-amp but i think thats because it didnt play any bass at low volumes, and when you turned up the volume you dont hear it over everything else.

So my problem is that i have to change the sub. And to get a replacement sub in Sweden where i live is really expensive. Around 600$ for just one!

So im thinking that i buy two new replacements. But im confused witch i should buy.

The ones i have found to buy in Sweden are the following.

Ground Zero GZCS 200BMW-SW - around 300$

MATCH 8″ MW 8BMW-D - around 200$

Gladen One 201 Extreme BMW Customfit Bas

GAS GS8BMW NEO - around 300$

Focal IFBMW-Sub.V2 - around 500$

B² audio BSW8 - around 300$

Rockford Fosgate T3-BMW-SUB - around 300$

I find the stock woofers ok and just fine for me. So the new ones should be as good or better. I think that the stock ones arent 2ohm but maby 4 or 7ohms.

The amp says the best is to use 2ohms for most power.

The plan is not to put a subwoofer in the trunk so i want the underseatwoofers to play as good as possible

What should i buy?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 09:21 PM   #315
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Everything you need to know was covered at some point in the previous 14 pages.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 08:01 AM   #316
beakungen
Registered
Rep

Yes and ive read the thread!

You think the earthquake is the best replacement. But its not possible to get in Sweden.

Ive looked around and i think that the Match subs and maby the GAS GS8BMW NEO Is what is possible to get for now.

The only thing is that the GAS is 4ohms and the Match is 2x2ohms.

What is the best think to choose?

The poweramp bmwup7 says its built for 2ohms. So for the most power i need 2ohms.

If i choose the Match can i just use one of the voicecoils so i get 2ohms?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 08:51 AM   #317
J555
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 340iX

It depends on what you want to achieve. If you are looking for quality, musicality and a decent blend with your midtones, I would suggest considering also the usual suspect available in 2-ohm version - Audison APBMW S8-2.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:21 AM   #318
beakungen
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J555 View Post
It depends on what you want to achieve. If you are looking for quality, musicality and a decent blend with your midtones, I would suggest considering also the usual suspect available in 2-ohm version - Audison APBMW S8-2.

Actually i just want to achieve as much bass ass possible. Or at least as much as the original hks.

I checked and its not possible to get the Audison in Sweden.

In the states you have very much to choose from but in Sweden we don't get som much choises
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #319
eleven11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: -F85 X5M-

Given the lower cost, I'd begin with the MATCH woofers. I suspect you'll be content overall. If not, return and try again. Ultimately, if your primary goal is bass intensity > midrange/stage, you'll be better served with a dedicated subwoofer (trunk, etc.).
2011 135i Coupe - Retired
2007 335i Sedan - Retired
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 10:05 AM   #320
J555
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beakungen View Post
In the states you have very much to choose from but in Sweden we don't get som much choises
I am a European and surprised of both poor selection in Sweden (but you have DLS, B² or GAS, that are difficult to get in most of Europe ) and limiting yourself for what's available locally. Possibly a good reason for that, however transportation within EU works great... I just received new exhaust tips delivered by UPS from a different country in less than 24 hours since purchased on eBay

Last edited by J555; 04-23-2020 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 10:26 AM   #321
beakungen
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I am a European and surprised of both poor selection in Sweden (but you have DLS, B² or GAS, that are difficult to get in most of Europe ) and limiting yourself for what's available locally. Possibly a good reason for that, however transportation within EU works great... I just received new exhaust tips delivered by UPS from a different country in less than 24 hours since purchased on eBay
Actually i could order abroad. From within Europe then so i dont get extra tax and costs.

It was just i was going to Gothenburg tomorrow and thought i could get some woofers there. (Im always in a hurry it seems).

But i can order and wait if its a better woofer

Is there any particular you recommend?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 02:15 AM   #322
J555
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beakungen View Post
Is there any particular you recommend?
As it seems you are looking primarily for the bass and do not care much of the other aspects, the SWS 8Xi should be a good option for you...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 04:48 AM   #323
sparkymarky
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
following
      05-10-2020, 05:20 PM   #324
J555
Captain
Rep

Guys, while upgrading your woofer, have you applied any kind of sound dampening between the woofer boxes and the floor of the car?

I recently upgraded the woofers including inner sound dampening of the woofer boxes: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=44 . Before, I did the sound dampening of the doors: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=12 . While the woofers can push hard, I haven't noticed any strange noises or creaks in the interior.

Today, I listened to my car from outside and noticed there is a quite loud "plastic" kind of noise from the floor area, when the woofers push. I guess this comes from the bottom of the woofer boxes hitting the floor? Have you noticed the same and fixed that, or just don't care?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 06:08 PM   #325
damack
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 330xi

Garage List
Quote:
Today, I listened to my car from outside and noticed there is a quite loud "plastic" kind of noise from the floor area, when the woofers push. I guess this comes from the bottom of the woofer boxes hitting the floor? Have you noticed the same and fixed that, or just don't care?
I believe the underseat enclosures actually include a cavity in the rocker panel area. Otherwise the volume of the enclosure would be miniscule. What you hear on the outside is the noise coming from that area. I'm not sure if you can do anything about it.
Appreciate 1
J555568.50
      05-10-2020, 07:02 PM   #326
J555
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damack View Post
I believe the underseat enclosures actually include a cavity in the rocker panel area. Otherwise the volume of the enclosure would be miniscule. What you hear on the outside is the noise coming from that area. I'm not sure if you can do anything about it.
True, there is a port to the rocker panel. I was surprised the side skirts do not vibrate, at all. Thus think there should be something worth of additional dampening...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 08:31 PM   #327
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

I do dampen the exterior of the box. Inside the car I don't hear any rattle but outside, if I play at 80% volume with bass heavy song, I can hear some rattle outside which I think is somewhere near the side skirt.
Appreciate 1
J555568.50
      05-11-2020, 11:28 PM   #328
jpt99
2024 m340i, 2022 X5 M50i, 2019 m550i
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i, 2019 m550i

5'er here. Hope it's cool with everyone I post a question. Couldn't find what I wanted in the other forum. Here's my setup:

2019 m550i (TopHifi)
Mobridge DA-1
Match PP82DSP
Morel Hybrid 402 (fronts)
Earthquakes (2ohm)
JL RD 500/1
JL Audio 10W3v3-2
Visual Ice enclosure

Recently, in an attempt to repair a broken USB connector on the 82, I splattered some solder on the motherboard and it died. Replacements I'm considering are either the UP7 or P-Six (leaning towards the UP7 due to it's ease of install and extra channel). Based on what I'm reading, the EQ's will not be ideal for my setup (existing trunk sub). There appears to be a consensus on the Jehnerts, but as others have noted, they aren't available. I've been recommended the Match and Etons. However, I'm considering just putting the OEMs back in and seeing how they perform; and possibly save me $4-500. Would appreciate any advice.

TIA
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 12:40 AM   #329
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt99 View Post
5'er here. Hope it's cool with everyone I post a question. Couldn't find what I wanted in the other forum. Here's my setup:

2019 m550i (TopHifi)
Mobridge DA-1
Match PP82DSP
Earthquakes (2ohm)
JL RD 500/1
JL Audio 10W3v3-2
Visual Ice enclosure

Recently, in an attempt to repair a broken USB connector on the 82, I splattered some solder on the motherboard and it died. Replacements I'm considering are either the UP7 or P-Six (leaning towards the UP7 due to it's ease of install and extra channel). Based on what I'm reading, the EQ's will not be ideal for my setup (existing trunk sub). There appears to be a consensus on the Jehnerts, but as others have noted, they aren't available. I've been recommended the Match and Etons. However, I'm considering just putting the OEMs back in and seeing how they perform; and possibly save me $4-500. Would appreciate any advice.

TIA
I own a F10. Since you have a trunk sub, GRS200-2 would be a better match if you want to save money. OEM sub is only rated 25W RMS and 50W max. It feel anemic in mid bass punch compare to GRS.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 03:26 AM   #330
Zack1uk
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2014 2.0D Sdrive Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt99 View Post

2019 m550i (TopHifi)
Mobridge DA-1
Match PP82DSP
Earthquakes (2ohm)
JL RD 500/1
JL Audio 10W3v3-2
Visual Ice enclosure

TIA
As you have a trunk sub, the focals might be worthwhile. Apparently they don't go as deep as some others, but are, reportedly, very good in the mid bass.

I tried the hifi woofers (as an upgrade from the puny 6.5 base/stereo woofers) because I could get them cheap. However, after recieving one that blew within a minute (and took my Genesis amp with it), one that sounds quieter and more muffled than the other, I realised that it was a false economy. I have an 11inch sub in the boot (trunk), so am going for the focals myself, and will try crossing them a little higher than normal at about 200 to 250 Hz LP.

That said, if you have a decent pair of Top Hifi ones, I would try those before anything else, and see how well they integrate with the rest of your speakers. I'm no expert, but I kind of think that the underseat woofer market is powered by snake oil.
Appreciate 0