F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > AC Compressor Clutch not engaging when engine is hot…
Studio RSR

05-27-2022, 09:20 PM   #1
turbocomppro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

AC Compressor Clutch not engaging when engine is hot…

The AC will work perfectly fine in the mornings. Clutch spins like normal.
The AC won’t work if I drive for 10+ mins, stop, go do something and come back. Clutch not spinning, AC button On.
The AC will work fine if I let the car sit 30+ mins after running. Clutch spins like normal.

Troubleshooting:
Visually check clutch. Looks to be in good condition. No rust, clean all around.
When clutch engages and turns, cold air as usual.
Check voltage going to clutch: I stuck a thin wire inside, between the connector to measure voltage so I can measure and the car can engage the clutch.
Result:
When the car is hot and clutch is not working, the line measures ~14.4v.
I let it sit for 30 minutes and check again. Clutch engages and measures ~13.5v.

Conclusion: clutch doesn’t work when car is hot.

Now I did noticed that this started happening (not immediately) after I changed the battery at Pepboys. I asked specifically if they will reset the battery in the computer and they said yes. So great! $15 labor instead of doing it myself and buying the software for $45 (kinda regret it honestly). Anyway, the battery was installed on Feb 9.

Now that this is happening, I check the error codes. When the clutch is not engaging like it’s suppose to, I get 80436E (compressor clutch: line disconnected or short circuit to B+). I also noticed CD8F01 (LIN, message; intelligent battery sensor (IBS): Missing.

Went to the trunk and they didn’t plug in the cable to the negative IBS. I’m wondering if this was the cause the AC clutch issue. Still haven’t had a chance to test yet but I plugged it back in and will call Pepboys tomorrow to see if they just forgot or they did it on purpose. And will I need to reset the battery in the computer? Thoughts?
Appreciate 0