F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Taillight tint
GetBMWParts

08-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #45
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Follow your own admonition. There are regulations, spelled out by the US Department of Transportation, with minimum visibility standards precisely defined. I doubt Canada is any different.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...gVYXmjP9pZFEfM

'you just need to be able to see the brake lights from like 250-300 ft away' won't be found in those regulations.
Isn't that what I just said...? My distance was probably off, but the point is that the existence of tail light tint does NOT absolve someone of responsibility for rear ending a car with tinted tails. If the tails are tinted, they still need to allow light to be visible by a certain distance...whatever it may "precisely" be. Just because tint reduces it, doesn't automatically make it illegal - only once it crosses whatever the threshold is.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 03:58 PM   #46
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

I though shadow line had tinted taillights but they looked the same to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #47
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anshu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Follow your own admonition. There are regulations, spelled out by the US Department of Transportation, with minimum visibility standards precisely defined. I doubt Canada is any different.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...gVYXmjP9pZFEfM

'you just need to be able to see the brake lights from like 250-300 ft away' won't be found in those regulations.
Isn't that what I just said...? My distance was probably off, but the point is that the existence of tail light tint does NOT absolve someone of responsibility for rear ending a car with tinted tails. If the tails are tinted, they still need to allow light to be visible by a certain distance...whatever it may "precisely" be. Just because tint reduces it, doesn't automatically make it illegal - only once it crosses whatever the threshold is.
He made that reply to point out that you are making claims about misinformation while you are misinforming in the exact same post. Get it?
      08-17-2018, 04:11 PM   #48
aps
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
He made that reply to point out that you are making claims about misinformation while you are misinforming in the exact same post. Get it?

The distance was arbitrary and besides my point (about who would be at fault) but I can see how that's confusing given my statement. Edited.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #49
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

Tint lowers the brightness of the tail lights definitely. why would anyone want to reduce the brightness of it? so it looks cool at the detriment of the driver behind that has more of a risk to see it since its less bright statistically, its more dangerous tinting it as compared to the originally designed fashion of the manufacturer in conjunction to meeting the federal and state laws of the location it was designed to meet. tinting is making more risk of being missed by a driver behind the car. anything that makes more risk means its less safe. it’s like wearing sunglasses at night so you look cool but is risky, that’s all I’m saying.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 08:08 PM   #50
natesi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30

Tinting tail lights (and headlights) defies common sense. I don't mean to be insulting, but I want to give you the straight dope, as well: Most people that see you driving around are going to assume you're missing some brain cells. You're saying to the rest of the world, "I don't care if you have trouble seeing my brake (or tail) lights -- I'd rather look cool and special". Which obviously comes across as conceited -- and it doesn't help the "BMW douche" stereotype either. Yes, it may (or may not) look better -- this is a matter of opinion. But lets be honest here: Nobody cares, except you.

Please

Don't

Do

It!!!!!
Appreciate 2
Billfitz8215.50
jgoens3787.50
      08-17-2018, 08:21 PM   #51
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

not offering an opinion (I might hate it - I may love it) - just some research I found with a super fast search...cars with taillight tint I found are as follows when I objectively did a google search....(I'm sure someone can dig deeper and show some "expensive cars" with a similar look - but to be honest what came up first? This is what I found - point being - your exception may not prove the rule if you are going to go there) - and remember I may love the look - just keeping things current and real based on what I found - and if my car is rocking tail tint - it's good by me and that is what matters
Attached Images

Last edited by RTPenland; 08-17-2018 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 10:22 PM   #52
Cyanfall
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 f32 440i coupe

Garage List
but y?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 11:11 PM   #53
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
not offering an opinion (I might hate it - I may love it) - just some research I found with a super fast search...cars with taillight tint I found are as follows when I objectively did a google search....(I'm sure someone can dig deeper and show some "expensive cars" with a similar look - but to be honest what came up first? This is what I found - point being - your exception may not prove the rule if you are going to go there) - and remember I may love the look - just keeping things current and real based on what I found - and if my car is rocking tail tint - it's good by me and that is what matters
LOL. The BMW with the Quad Exhaust that is not a M looks conceited. The Civic with the freaking gigantic spoiler looks like Mary Poppins Umbrella.
The Hyundai tints look worse than the BMW’s.
The Oldsmobile with the stupid 40” wheels looks disgusting.
And that Cadillac with the obnoxious wheels looks like an amusement park ride with a tire shredder feature you would find on a James Bond car. LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2018, 11:41 PM   #54
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by natesi View Post
Tinting tail lights (and headlights) defies common sense. I don't mean to be insulting, but I want to give you the straight dope, as well: Most people that see you driving around are going to assume you're missing some brain cells. You're saying to the rest of the world, "I don't care if you have trouble seeing my brake (or tail) lights -- I'd rather look cool and special". Which obviously comes across as conceited -- and it doesn't help the "BMW douche" stereotype either. Yes, it may (or may not) look better -- this is a matter of opinion. But lets be honest here: Nobody cares, except you.

Please

Don't

Do

It!!!!!
I'm missing many brain cells..but have reason to understand that this is not a good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPenland View Post
Uhhm what? Cool story bro..that works.
      08-18-2018, 12:36 PM   #55
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i, 17' X6 35i

Quote:
It doesn't matter if you can or cannot see them when tinted. After rear ending you while eating my cheeseburger, all I have to do is point at your tinted taillights and say "he modified/disabled his braking safety feature and I had a hard time telling that he was stopped". Winner every time.

Tinting taillights is honda boyish and suggests that you didn't even purchase the vehicle. You're going to get flack for all this, and you should have expected it.

Why are there safety warnings on shampoo bottles?
So what your saying is if you hit somebody with a tail light tint, it will be the guy with the tints fault? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. And, if that was the case, why wasn't I pulled over yet after having the tint for 2+ years. And living in downtown where I constantly drive by cops.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #56
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox335i View Post
Quote:
It doesn't matter if you can or cannot see them when tinted. After rear ending you while eating my cheeseburger, all I have to do is point at your tinted taillights and say "he modified/disabled his braking safety feature and I had a hard time telling that he was stopped". Winner every time.

Tinting taillights is honda boyish and suggests that you didn't even purchase the vehicle. You're going to get flack for all this, and you should have expected it.

Why are there safety warnings on shampoo bottles?
So what your saying is if you hit somebody with a tail light tint, it will be the guy with the tints fault? That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. And, if that was the case, why wasn't I pulled over yet after having the tint for 2+ years. And living in downtown where I constantly drive by cops.
You should really research things before making statements like that. I know it's not "cool" to hear, but disabling a safety feature is dangerous and idiotic.
      08-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #57
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

That's why the #1 cause of death in men below the age of 50 is terminal stupidity. Darwin always wins.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #58
Rox335i
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14' 335i, 17' X6 35i

Quote:
You should really research things before making statements like that. I know it's not "cool" to hear, but disabling a safety feature is dangerous and idiotic.
But the part where you said if you rear end a car with tail light tint is his fault is just hilarious. You should maybe research something boy.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #59
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rox335i View Post
Quote:
But the part where you said if you rear end a car with tail light tint is his fault is just hilarious. You should maybe research something boy.
Again, please do some research. You're making people our age look bad.
      08-18-2018, 02:57 PM   #60
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
I’m guessing this thread didn’t go the way OP saw it in his mind.
Appreciate 2
Korvo368.00
sahajesh2294.00