F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > MPPSK question.
GetBMWParts

09-15-2018, 03:48 AM   #1
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Me - 440i , Dog - Cayenne

MPPSK question.

Hopefully getting the above fitted to my 440 in a few weeks time and i have a couple of local options as to who gets my business.

Harry Fairbairns Giffnock - £1999 fitted and they need the car all day which is a bit of a faff.

Eastern BMW - £1999 fitted but say it will only take two hours which is more convenient for me even though they are further away.

So ?

1 - No one seems to be open to further price negotiations even though the Giffnock dealers have the two systems listed for more than two months without any takers so - suck it up and pay the price or wait till they are more amenable to offers as i am in no immediate hurry to get the work done.

2 - Being that the stock zorst is a one piece system and i very much doubt if it will ever be refitted then do i just leave it at the garage or hack the rear silencer off sling it in the boot and punt it to someone who fancies a dual exit backbox , is it worth the effort for the what i would get selling it on ?

3 - Forget the MPPSK and wait two years until the warranty has expired and go for a Remus cat back system and DMS tune ?

Thoughts

Kenny

Last edited by Kendo67; 09-15-2018 at 03:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 03:50 AM   #2
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

If they say they can do it in two hours run away. The coding nearly always takes longer than this. Any garage that does a number of these will know that.

The Remus system Vs the MPPSK is very different. MPPSK is louder and when remapped again by people like DMS they provide more power than a Remus system.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 03:55 AM   #3
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Not great prices tbh, when i got mine done i asked the garage to cut off the backbox leaving a foot of pipe, straight in boot and sold next day for £100.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2018, 03:56 AM   #4
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-c View Post
If they say they can do it in two hours run away. The coding nearly always takes longer than this. Any garage that does a number of these will know that..
I have been reading up on the coding aspect time and a few posts back up what you are saying , i was just wondering if BMW had now got it together with the coding aspect and it is now a quicker install ?

Kenny
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 03:58 AM   #5
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

While the exhaust is quite quick to fit, remembering to check clearances to the heat shield standoffs, the reprogramming can take a while and until it starts the garage won't know how long it will take. The older the car the more will need changing.

So while 2 hours might be possible it is unlikely and will just be really annoying if you have to wait around. The whole day quote allows them to be more thorough and also allows for any extended programming time.

While not the best prices it is likely these kits are now likely to be out of production (based on other threads here) so they will ultimately be sold, it also might make it harder to get the kit fitted later on.

I'd retain the back box, there is a small market for them and a few quid is better than no quid. Obviously if you've got nowhere to store it then it's probably not worth it.

As for the third option, that's up to you. The MPPSK certainly changes the car quite a bit and I don't think any of us who had it fitted regret it.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 04:08 AM   #6
Ads4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MPPSK 340i with MP Bodykit

I’d suggest MPPSK definitely as it’s a great step up and sounds awesome....then DMS map a few months later 😂😂
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 04:12 AM   #7
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
1. Same as I paid last week (all in with c/f tips). When I originally ordered it they told me £3,500 all in and I nearly dropped the phone, then they said they were doing the deal for just under £2K. So given the ludicrous RRP they may not budge much on the discounted price, but there are one or two here who got it for around £1,799 I think.

2. I had the same idea, thinking I could knock out the back box for a hundred quid or so in the classifieds. Didn't bother in the end seeing as getting the whole system home would have been a pain. Someone is selling a 340i full system on fleabay for nearly £400! Weather they'll get that or not is another matter.

3. If you wait two years, that's two years not enjoying an upgraded system! I was a bit worried about the sound changes as I quite liked the stealthy character of the stock system, so the MPPSK is great in that there is a discernible change in performance plus you can choose between near standard Comfort sound and the more leery Sport sound (which I am starting to find addictive).

Dealer originally told me it was a 2hr job, but took them a full 2 days to do the programming in the end.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 05:55 AM   #8
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
Half a day for me at Warwick

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 07:28 AM   #9
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep

Ok folks , thanks for the input.

Going to talk with the guys at Giffnock next week before i head off to work , maybe a face - face and a confirmed yes to do the work along with a deposit may see some readies returning to my pocket , even £100 off would make my mind up,it just depends how much they want my money.

I will ask them to chop off the rear silencer as there maybe a chance that someone will want to buy it , it also has a pair of BMS black exhaust trims fitted that are only a few months old.

Kenny
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 08:16 AM   #10
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

on a cold start does your exhaust rattle? If so put it in for that and try and claim a discount.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #11
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-c View Post
on a cold start does your exhaust rattle? If so put it in for that and try and claim a discount.
I have never heard it making a noise from cold , having said that i am normally inside ,doors closed , windows up and some from of noise is being omitted from the media system.

Tomorrow morning i will get the boy to start the car and i will have a listen to the zorst.

Where does the rattle normally come from , silencer / metalwork or exhaust valve ?

What causes the rattle , something broken or worn ?

Kenny
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #12
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I'd get the stock exhaust cut in half and taken home. There is likely to be some interest for the front section now that PPF is a standard option. Many M lite owners miffed at having PPF might want the option of fitting non PPF front piece.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17483.00
      09-15-2018, 08:34 AM   #13
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
I'd get the stock exhaust cut in half and taken home. There is likely to be some interest for the front section now that PPF is a standard option. Many M lite owners miffed at having PPF might want the option of fitting non PPF front piece.
Good point , well made.

If i get it fitted at Giffnock i will be able to pop up the following day in the wifes car and get the complete uncut system home. It will need to stick out of the boot or a front window but should be OK for the 10min trip home.

Kenny
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #14
Quantox
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440iGC, CQ, Ivory White, MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
1. Same as I paid last week (all in with c/f tips). When I originally ordered it they told me £3,500 all in and I nearly dropped the phone, then they said they were doing the deal for just under £2K. So given the ludicrous RRP they may not budge much on the discounted price, but there are one or two here who got it for around £1,799 I think.

2. I had the same idea, thinking I could knock out the back box for a hundred quid or so in the classifieds. Didn't bother in the end seeing as getting the whole system home would have been a pain. Someone is selling a 340i full system on fleabay for nearly £400! Weather they'll get that or not is another matter.

3. If you wait two years, that's two years not enjoying an upgraded system! I was a bit worried about the sound changes as I quite liked the stealthy character of the stock system, so the MPPSK is great in that there is a discernible change in performance plus you can choose between near standard Comfort sound and the more leery Sport sound (which I am starting to find addictive).

Dealer originally told me it was a 2hr job, but took them a full 2 days to do the programming in the end.
Mine was done at Crewe last week for £1903 all in (£1699 for the kit and £204 for labour/fitting). They do sell the kit alone but it's collect only. Fitting the new system takes around 60 - 90 minutes and only then do they start the download. Overall it took 4 hours. As the OP is in Scotland it would make more sense to cough up the £1999, it's a good deal.
Had the original system cut into two and carried it home, carefully wrapped in old blankets to protect the car.
It was already a fantastic car but the MPPSK makes it awesome, so much fun.

Q
      09-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #15
Quantox
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440iGC, CQ, Ivory White, MPPSK

Quote:
That's what I did but boy-o-boy that system is big! It's like a huge drainpipe with a dustbin on the end.

Q

Last edited by Quantox; 09-15-2018 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #16
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Really good point, very marketable right now I'd say
      09-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #17
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Almost exactly as in my case... was planned for "max 2 hours". Took almost 3 days.
      09-17-2018, 05:06 AM   #18
Abzynthe
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Gran Coupe LCI

Mine took 4 hours, and they delivered my old exhaust back to my house. I sold it for about £225 all in as I sold the exhaust tips separately.
      09-17-2018, 05:17 AM   #19
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Isn't it illegal to tamper with emissions components now?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #20
Kendo67
Major
Scotland
Rep

Just an update on this , car now booked into BMW Hamilton for the kit to be fitted on Thursday.

Final price,fitted ,will be around the £1800 mark including the carbon tips.

So there will be a standard 440i backbox available from Friday onwards , it has BMS oversized tips along with the standard chrome ones.

Just goes to show , it is worth playing the dealers off against each other.

Happy bunny.

Kenny
Appreciate 1
Quantox308.50
      09-21-2018, 11:15 AM   #21
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
Quote:
Isn't it illegal to tamper with emissions components now?
It certainly is.....and not something I would do, but judging by the amount of decat downpipes being sold, I expect I'm in a minority.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 11:44 AM   #22
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
It certainly is.....and not something I would do, but judging by the amount of decat downpipes being sold, I expect I'm in a minority.
Looking at etk, it appears the PPF may be built into the catalytic converter rather than a separate downstream unit.

The front section of the exhaust pre and post PPF are the same part: https://www.etkbmw.com/bmw/EN/search...0i/ECE/18_1174