F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > G05 X5 30d 24 hour test drive
Extreme Powerhouse

02-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #23
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic View Post
I vary mine between 20-21-22 depending on what clothing I'm wearing, I don't want to guess at it with the wheel of fortune, I want an actual temperature and don't expect to have to adjust it twice, most cars have a sync button for good reason, it just makes life easier if you drive the car on your own most of the time.
And of course if you have 3 way or 4 way climate, if you have had people in the back who have adjusted it up or down from your preferred value (19 for me) then a sync button allows you to put all back to what you want without fishing around in the back...

Got one in my SQ5....
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #24
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
Quote:
I vary mine between 20-21-22 depending on what clothing I'm wearing, I don't want to guess at it with the wheel of fortune, I want an actual temperature and don't expect to have to adjust it twice, most cars have a sync button for good reason, it just makes life easier if you drive the car on your own most of the time.
And of course if you have 3 way or 4 way climate, if you have had people in the back who have adjusted it up or down from your preferred value (19 for me) then a sync button allows you to put all back to what you want without fishing around in the back...

Got one in my SQ5....
What is this SQ5 you speak of

I must admit, one pulled up beside me the other day in black and I thought it was a great looking car. As much as I do love the size of the X5 at times, there are others where I concede that an X3 / Q5 is probably the sweet spot for U.K. roads.
      02-14-2019, 11:58 AM   #25
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
None of that makes any sense to me but ETTO, I have 4 zone climate with a sync button but I guess it's wasted on me as the sync button is pointless.
      02-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #26
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Nice write up MB. Great car if that's the size you're needing. Not many better on the road and as you say it's largely the 9/10 10/10 winner in every area.

Where does it realistically sit on the list now, atop? Is it about getting the right engine package, plans to test a 40d and M50d maybe? Must admit the RRP fo the latter has become eye watering but discounts always come.

PS so think an X7 Drive and write up is needed, just for completeness. It is after all marginally slimmer
      02-14-2019, 01:06 PM   #27
six
Captain
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50e

Great review and some nice pics, I see you got it from Dick Loves It

The 30d has piped in sound as you say, I thought it didn’t sound bad actually and it has fake sound through the exhaust with the M-Sport exhaust. The one I drove had it, was quite amusing to hear a petrol sort of V8 sound at the back as it pulled away.

I really need to drive the 40i now. I am super concerned about the fuel economy and would like to baseline it with my driving on some of my regular trips. My 40d generally gives about 32mpg on the computer. I bet the 40i will be about 10mpg lower. I’d take that but some of the US reports (adjusted for US gallons to UK) seem to point to 15-20 mpg in some cases, gulp!

The bundling of options is still annoying for me as it’s making the car stack up to be quite expensive for what I’d want. And what’s the point of a made to order car if you can’t have exactly what you want!
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2019, 02:13 PM   #28
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I have to say that despite the oversized grill, I find the new X5 the most handsome all round design of large SUV and of the BMW range right now. Despite being huge it doesn't actually look it. The interior is a lovely place to be, and huge step forward on its predecessor both inside and out.

I need to have a drive! Not that I can see my wife wanting one, but would be interesting to try.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2019, 06:14 PM   #29
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

I know we've just had the same discussion on the X3, but this has windows that are too high in my opinion too. Spoils it's looks from the side for me. Don't know why BMW have gone for that particular look.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 11:59 PM   #30
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bb0 View Post
Good write-up, MB.

Aesthetically it's definitely a step forward from the F15 at the rear, though the front still looks a bit odd with those grills. Internally a giant leap on, but to be honest the overall quality in the X5 is way, way above the level in a 3 series, and poverty spec 5s.

Power wise, I have the 30d in mine and it's borderline. It still feels fast because you don't expect something so big to move so quickly. And that can be quite fun on occasion when someone is dicking around with me. But then I think back to the F30 with the same engine and that was actually fast.

This was our first 'jeep' (as we term them) in our household and we'll definitely always have one now, but it would be with a bigger lump / an extra turbo next time.

We could have got into a RRS or Cayenne, I.E. a blingy monster but it would have presented political issues in my business, whereas the X5 is a BMW, and a BMW is seen as fairly attainable. But in retrospect and on balance I like that because it's normal enough to pass people by, but when clean and with the right mods, it does turn heads.
Thanks R0bb0

Yes, the quality is a significant step up and it has a real luxury feel when specced to the eyeballs.

You're right about the image/looks. Although in pretty much the same market, it attracts far less attention than a Cayenne/RRS. My wife was saying she much prefers the idea of having one of these on the driveway vs. the RRS as it looks much more 'normal'.

ETA - it was getting admiring glances from two yummy mummies when I took it to the gym, probably wondering where their little X3 had gone

Power-wise, I felt the 30d in a straight line had all I would want in vehicle like this. Surprising just how fast things disappear in the rear view mirror. It's just lacking that extra instant urge to give it some snap to the throttle in the roundabout situation and that's very key to how a car drives.

I suspect the hybrid would be the best fix - instant electric throttle response makes a big difference in the RRS PHEV. But it's not on sale yet and will probably be an expensive choice. Did you consider the F15 PHEV when you bought yours?

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:01 AM   #31
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipraider View Post
I still can't get over the grilles. They look f**king ridiculous.
They are a lot better in person than in pictures. Phone-snaps in particular emphasise them due to the wide angle lens imho.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:07 AM   #32
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Nice write up MB. Great car if that's the size you're needing. Not many better on the road and as you say it's largely the 9/10 10/10 winner in every area.

Where does it realistically sit on the list now, atop? Is it about getting the right engine package, plans to test a 40d and M50d maybe? Must admit the RRP fo the latter has become eye watering but discounts always come.

PS so think an X7 Drive and write up is needed, just for completeness. It is after all marginally slimmer
Cheers Chris

Realistically this sits at the top of the list now. Scanning back my original thread on choosing an SUV it's quite interesting. I'd ruled out the X5 at the beginning...didn't want another BMW...

The M50d is out on cost and the fact that it's the only model that doesn't sit on air suspension. No doubt handles better, but 90% or more of my driving is crumbling urban roads or motorway, so ride is more of a priority.

X7 - haha, sort of tempting to do that! But will try to resist. I'd probably end up wanting it, the wife would probably end up killing me for yet another test drive.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:19 AM   #33
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by six View Post
Great review and some nice pics, I see you got it from Dick Loves It

The 30d has piped in sound as you say, I thought it didn't sound bad actually and it has fake sound through the exhaust with the M-Sport exhaust. The one I drove had it, was quite amusing to hear a petrol sort of V8 sound at the back as it pulled away.

I really need to drive the 40i now. I am super concerned about the fuel economy and would like to baseline it with my driving on some of my regular trips. My 40d generally gives about 32mpg on the computer. I bet the 40i will be about 10mpg lower. I'd take that but some of the US reports (adjusted for US gallons to UK) seem to point to 15-20 mpg in some cases, gulp!

The bundling of options is still annoying for me as it's making the car stack up to be quite expensive for what I'd want. And what's the point of a made to order car if you can't have exactly what you want!
Yep, Dick kindly provided this drive!

I was happy with the sound of the 30d too, the piped in effects are quite clever. From my experience of the 40i, though, vs the 30d in a standard X3, I would expect the X5 40i to be a haven of silence - it could be a perfect match if looking for the luxury experience.

I think 40i economy probably would be an experience unless on the motorway. It's very easy to alter the economy of my 440i in day-to-day urban commuting. Using eco coasting I can get close to 30mpg, my default of comfort will be 26/28 and the few commutes a week where i spend the whole time in Sport/+ will be close to 20-22, especially if I get at the front of a few traffic light queues. Basically I get to choose the economy I want. In the X5, weighing a third more, I can imagine that it will be akin to constantly being in 440i sport mode. I do 6k a year though, so really a tiny cost difference in the cost of anX5.

Bundled options - yeah somewhat frustrating. The X5 also brings expensive tempters like comfort seats. Even more frustrating is that there is no configurator to really work things through quickly!

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 12:27 AM   #34
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I have to say that despite the oversized grill, I find the new X5 the most handsome all round design of large SUV and of the BMW range right now. Despite being huge it doesn't actually look it. The interior is a lovely place to be, and huge step forward on its predecessor both inside and out.

I need to have a drive! Not that I can see my wife wanting one, but would be interesting to try.
I agree, think they got the design pretty much right.

It feels fine size-wise to me - i really felt no different vs X3. Probably a function of the much higher seating position. I actually prefer the size of the RRS and X5 in this respect. The vast numbers of SUVs on the road mean that a X3 feels almost as hemmed in as a normal car, whereas the big ones give you that traditional commanding view. The RRS was definitely best in this respect.

Parking is the big difference, a X3 is closer to right size for our spaces (let's face it, even a 4-er feels wide!), a X5 is definitely a find a far corner sort of car - which is my style of parking anyway.

An X5 does kind of dwarf a little Elan...excuse the crap zoomed in pic, I only thought to take it when I was along way away! The dazzle from SUV lights must be horrendous in something that low.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:19 AM   #35
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0bb0 View Post
Good write-up, MB.

Aesthetically it's definitely a step forward from the F15 at the rear, though the front still looks a bit odd with those grills. Internally a giant leap on, but to be honest the overall quality in the X5 is way, way above the level in a 3 series, and poverty spec 5s.

Power wise, I have the 30d in mine and it's borderline. It still feels fast because you don't expect something so big to move so quickly. And that can be quite fun on occasion when someone is dicking around with me. But then I think back to the F30 with the same engine and that was actually fast.

This was our first 'jeep' (as we term them) in our household and we'll definitely always have one now, but it would be with a bigger lump / an extra turbo next time.

We could have got into a RRS or Cayenne, I.E. a blingy monster but it would have presented political issues in my business, whereas the X5 is a BMW, and a BMW is seen as fairly attainable. But in retrospect and on balance I like that because it's normal enough to pass people by, but when clean and with the right mods, it does turn heads.
Thanks R0bb0

Yes, the quality is a significant step up and it has a real luxury feel when specced to the eyeballs.

You're right about the image/looks. Although in pretty much the same market, it attracts far less attention than a Cayenne/RRS. My wife was saying she much prefers the idea of having one of these on the driveway vs. the RRS as it looks much more 'normal'.

ETA - it was getting admiring glances from two yummy mummies when I took it to the gym, probably wondering where their little X3 had gone

Power-wise, I felt the 30d in a straight line had all I would want in vehicle like this. Surprising just how fast things disappear in the rear view mirror. It's just lacking that extra instant urge to give it some snap to the throttle in the roundabout situation and that's very key to how a car drives.

I suspect the hybrid would be the best fix - instant electric throttle response makes a big difference in the RRS PHEV. But it's not on sale yet and will probably be an expensive choice. Did you consider the F15 PHEV when you bought yours?
[/QUOTE]

"I suspect the hybrid would be the best fix - instant electric throttle response makes a big difference in the RRS PHEV. But it's not on sale yet and will probably be an expensive choice. Did you consider the F15 PHEV when you bought yours?"

No, we didn't. But we probably should have. For us this car is frankly a yummy-mummy-mobile. It does half a dozen three mile trips a day ferrying the kids around the same town. I don't use it as I'm on the train to London where my business is, but will occasionally nab it for a meeting a few hours away. So it is just burning huge amounts of diesel for the sake of having a nice car. Again a consideration on engine choice for next time.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2019, 04:57 AM   #36
Archer-s
Captain
Rep
Drives: on order

Quote:
The RRS has more of a wow factor and has a higher driving position- you feel like you can see over everything.

The X5 has a more solid feel and the tech is streets ahead.

The RRS in Dynamic hybrid form handles better and feels far more adjustable to the throttle.

Prefer the looks of the RRS, except for the fact it's a little too in your face and the blingy examples of the breed (bronze roofs etc) are automatically associated with yours. But like having a factory fresh E36 now and being surrounded by all the chavved up ones.

Despite how all of that reads, I think the X5 is a better long term proposition. It's more of a 8/10 in every category and 10/10 for tech. Whereas the RRS veers between lots of 10/10 and lots of 5/10.
Great summary! Going to get the Mrs to test drive the RRS, but reckon she has a soft spot for the x5, did you end up buying one last year?
I have been ummminng and ahhhing for awhile, mostly as the new 3 is out, and nothing else in the segment is appealing
On the x5 front, the new one sounds really appealing, but don’t think I can justify the extra when buying 2 cars this year
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2019, 05:08 AM   #37
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
None of that makes any sense to me but ETTO, I have 4 zone climate with a sync button but I guess it's wasted on me as the sync button is pointless.
Me too. I deliberately have all four zones at a different temperature just because I can, never use the sync button.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 05:47 AM   #38
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Me too. I deliberately have all four zones at a different temperature just because I can, never use the sync button.
that's funny. Have you moved seats while the car is running parked to check its a difference? I'm sure there is, poor car HVAC, working OT!
      02-15-2019, 06:00 AM   #39
Herr Dreier
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G31 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Please tell me there is a sync feature on the heating controls an you don't have to adjust both driver and passenger like the F30
Good news on that front....

I spent a good half hour playing with the X5 in my local dealership while I was waiting for a service the other day. The sync option is there, but it's hidden in a menu as the hot/cold conditioner for the face level vents. The good news is you can program a short-cut key to both options. Or just hit the "menu/AC" button and then select sync with the i-drive controller or touch screen.

I played with the Idrive a lot to see and it's got a lot more complex than the v4 system in my car and I think far less intuitive. I concluded that all the things I like, particularly with split maps etc, are still there. The buttons around the idrive controller felt really cheap though.

The car in the showroom had the glass effect gear knob - and it was completely Looked like it would have been more at home in a Merc. Far too much bling for my liking.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2019, 06:14 AM   #40
Herr Dreier
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G31 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Re #2

You've mastered the art of X5 parking in these pictures I see. Double yellows in one, and half on the pavement in the other
Appreciate 2
JustChris17487.50
      02-15-2019, 06:35 AM   #41
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Wasted on you maybe, but not on everyone, and as someone said it exists for a reason.

We have it in the Audi and I use it regularly. When the wife has it the settings in the back for the kids could have been set by her, or the kids and they're regularly all different.

We went away last week and half way through the journey mine was set to twenty where I like it. My wife had the passenger side set to low because she was hot when she got in. Looked in the mirror and the kids looked a little flush. There's were both set to hi from a previous cold 10 minute school run.

Switched to sync and all 4 were the same quickly, rather than setting them all individually which is a pain.

Also useful when I get in on my own and we've had all 4 in previously who all wanted separate temperatures. I just want to quickly set the car to one temperature.

It sounds in your case that any temp control is pointless. Let BMW set it to 20 and leave it there for the life of you having the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 06:38 AM   #42
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Dreier View Post
Re #2

You've mastered the art of X5 parking in these pictures I see. Double yellows in one, and half on the pavement in the other

Yep, all at the dealer. They train you in approved X5 manoeuvres before letting you out on public roads. Also includes blocking roads outside schools and sliding off a steep road in snowy conditions on 22" low profile runflat summer tyres

Appreciate 1
      02-15-2019, 06:44 AM   #43
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Dreier View Post
I played with the Idrive a lot to see and it's got a lot more complex than the v4 system in my car and I think far less intuitive. I concluded that all the things I like, particularly with split maps etc, are still there. The buttons around the idrive controller felt really cheap though.

The car in the showroom had the glass effect gear knob - and it was completely Looked like it would have been more at home in a Merc. Far too much bling for my liking.
I've felt the same about ID6/7 vs. ID5 that i have. It all feels less intuitive, but I think I'd soon get used to it. One thing I was surprised to find, I liked gesture control for volume, and actually used the touchscreen a couple of times when parked.

The idrive controller/gearstick thing is a bind. Either pay for bling, or stick with standard controls that feel cheaper than a F3x.

I forgot to mention that I dislike the new indicator stalk too.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 06:47 AM   #44
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssond View Post
Great summary! Going to get the Mrs to test drive the RRS, but reckon she has a soft spot for the x5, did you end up buying one last year?
I have been ummminng and ahhhing for awhile, mostly as the new 3 is out, and nothing else in the segment is appealing
On the x5 front, the new one sounds really appealing, but don’t think I can justify the extra when buying 2 cars this year
Not bought anything yet...drawn out decision making, savouring the process (my excuse). RRS/X5 are my two favourites by far, don't think you can go too far wrong with either.

Appreciate 0