F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dinan is looking for an F series diesel
Extreme Powerhouse

10-31-2016, 12:01 PM   #23
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

heard this morning that Dinan is still looking for another F series diesel to validate their tune. Anybody out there in the bay should hit them up asap!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 12:33 PM   #24
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero05 View Post
heard this morning that Dinan is still looking for another F series diesel to validate their tune. Anybody out there in the bay should hit them up asap!
I am guessing all the model specific connectors arrived and now they want to test their final product on a car before releasing it.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 11:08 AM   #25
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
I am guessing all the model specific connectors arrived and now they want to test their final product on a car before releasing it.
Just wanted to note that an x35d we would love to get in here--- specifically an E chassis car if possible to cover all of our bases but an F series car will work as well. Anybody that has one local to Morgan Hill feeel free to reach out and we can put this to bed.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 11:10 AM   #26
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Just wanted to note that an x35d we would love to get in here--- specifically an E chassis car if possible to cover all of our bases but an F series car will work as well. Anybody that has one local to Morgan Hill feeel free to reach out and we can put this to bed.
I am too far away, but if you can send me one for testing, I would gladly do it!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #27
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
I am too far away, but if you can send me one for testing, I would gladly do it!
If only it were that easy. =/
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2016, 06:28 AM   #28
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

What kind of power are we looking at for the 328d?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #29
DriverDog
Rep
Drives: 135i & 328d

Dinan 328d tune

Hi All
So my F31 328d was a test car for Dinan. Bit of a problem for them to define exact gains as they do not have a 4 WD dyno. The test module that I tested allowed them to get the connectors right and set rail pressures so that it would not bog down and throw codes. Got the semi final module a week ago and it works quite nicely with no issues. I removed it for my 10000 mile service, which also gave me some time to get a feel for the car again with out the module. Again no hard numbers but the feeling in the the butt is considerable, really feel the difference in Sport mode but it is there in comfort. Have not had a chance yet to check mileage differences but will try to report this in the next week or two.
One very noticeable trait of our car is the need to spin up the turbo to get going, this seems more pronounced with the module.
One other item they need to work on is the Dinan app. can be very powerful but buggy and not intuitive. I hope they get that smoothed out in the next few weeks. It has the potential to be quite cool, switching modes and amount of tune. Hope this help those out there waiting for a decent tune, good of better but not perfect.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2016, 08:41 AM   #30
Dinan_Engineering
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
What kind of power are we looking at for the 328d?
+30 HP / +50 TRQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDog View Post
Hi All
So my F31 328d was a test car for Dinan. Bit of a problem for them to define exact gains as they do not have a 4 WD dyno. The test module that I tested allowed them to get the connectors right and set rail pressures so that it would not bog down and throw codes. Got the semi final module a week ago and it works quite nicely with no issues. I removed it for my 10000 mile service, which also gave me some time to get a feel for the car again with out the module. Again no hard numbers but the feeling in the the butt is considerable, really feel the difference in Sport mode but it is there in comfort. Have not had a chance yet to check mileage differences but will try to report this in the next week or two.
One very noticeable trait of our car is the need to spin up the turbo to get going, this seems more pronounced with the module.
One other item they need to work on is the Dinan app. can be very powerful but buggy and not intuitive. I hope they get that smoothed out in the next few weeks. It has the potential to be quite cool, switching modes and amount of tune. Hope this help those out there waiting for a decent tune, good of better but not perfect.
Glad you are enjoying it thus far and appreciate you chiming in. A couple notes to some of the commentary listed below...

The 4WD dyno was actually installed last week so that is no longer an issue. Also borrowed a car from a local dealer to do a quick dyno run on a brand new 328d and the power gain is listed above.

The app is... well the app... when you have engineers and not app developers doing it it leads to some questionable interface decisions but it sounds like an outside guy is now involved so hopefully that will all be ironed out in the near term. At least thats my hope...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 06:21 PM   #31
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDog View Post
Hi All

You notice any increase in fuel milage with it? I'd like to see how it runs in valet mode on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 09:22 PM   #32
DriverDog
Rep
Drives: 135i & 328d

Have not had a chance to test mileage, though I will say before I installed the module I ran mostly in eco pro and averaged 43 mpg. Since I installed the module I have running more in comfort and sport modes, as it gives it a good bit more grunt which feels nice! Will run more in eco pro too see if I can compare.
Only ran valet mode, through the app, once or twice, seems to dial it back to less than eco pro, definitely less power but hard to say how much.
Have to say I like it and it makes the car more fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 12:51 AM   #33
NinTenTom
lurker
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW F30 Diesel

Did Dinan team ever need more test mules? I just picked up a F series diesel a few days ago and I happen to be in the bay area.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 02:04 AM   #34
Adamr916
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinTenTom View Post
Did Dinan team ever need more test mules? I just picked up a F series diesel a few days ago and I happen to be in the bay area.
They've already released the product, the piggy back tuner in the other post.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #35
NinTenTom
lurker
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW F30 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamr916 View Post
They've already released the product, the piggy back tuner in the other post.
Wow that was fast!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 09:49 PM   #36
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
interesting reading here you guys scavenging for test cars. can you not collaborate with other countries like germany or UK? In the UK what you doing been done over and over many times obviously diesel is now comprised of over 50% of UK cars.

Example here of recent car search

Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 12:13 AM   #37
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadimo View Post
interesting reading here you guys scavenging for test cars. can you not collaborate with other countries like germany or UK? In the UK what you doing been done over and over many times obviously diesel is now comprised of over 50% of UK cars.
Generally, not. US/CA cars have different DDE software, due to all of them (except VW!) being BlueTec. While the UK/EU F3x cars probably have the same DDE as the US/CA (DDE7.3 or later), the emissions requirements of EU 2014 are different than US/CA so they're likely different.

And remember, import restrictions enforced by EPA/Customs/etc would probably keep any device offshore.
Appreciate 0