F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Pilot Sport A/S 3 for DC weather
Extreme Powerhouse

07-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
Xenogears
Rep
Drives: '14 335i M Sport

Pilot Sport A/S 3 for DC weather

I'm interested in swapping my oem summers rft (conti ssr 5) with all seasons. I've done some research and the Pilot Sport A/S 3 seem to be some excellent handling a/s tires. I live in the DC area where we get 2-4 snow days during winter. Do you think this tire would be a good fit or should I go with something like the DWS?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 10:04 PM   #2
sirdrebin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MY2013 335xi sedan ordered

DC Climes, They Are A-Changin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenogears View Post
I'm interested in swapping my oem summers rft (conti ssr 5) with all seasons. I've done some research and the Pilot Sport A/S 3 seem to be some excellent handling a/s tires. I live in the DC area where we get 2-4 snow days during winter. Do you think this tire would be a good fit or should I go with something like the DWS?
If we could project that the DC weather patterns of the few years prior to the latest (miserable, unending) 2013-14 one would continue, I would heartily encourage you to go with the Pilots. Instead, I believe that, with rapidly growing climate change, we'll be seeing more severe winters with prolonged cold spells and more frequent snow/ice storms...no, not blizzards or Manitoba but notably worse conditions more frequently and lastingly. Since some of the reviews I've seen rank the Pilots WEAKEST in snow/ice conditions and the DSW's notably higher in these categories, I suggest you seriously consider the latter or some other A/S with high wet/snow/ice ratings. (That's what I plan to do when its my tire replacement time even tho' I don't need daily access to a car no matter what the weather.)

Best of luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
BruceOmega
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sportline

I wish we knew what future DC winters will be like.

Xenogears, FWIW
My car came with summer tires and increased top speed limiter. I decided to switch to all seasons but wanted to stay with RFTs and also have appropriate speed rating.

At that time, there were no choices on Tirerack in the OEM size of 225/45-18, but there were choices in 245/40-18 size.

I went with 245/40-18 Potenza 960AS RFTs and have been very happy with them.

Bruce
      07-19-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
Xenogears
Rep
Drives: '14 335i M Sport

Thanks guys. Yes, last couple of winters have been pretty bad compared to what is expected of the region (mild winters). I wish I knew how it's going to be for the next few as well. If I remember correctly 2011 was very mild, 2010 we had that blizzard, last winter was too frigid.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 05:38 AM   #5
RJGBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335ix GT

Consumer Reports top rates the Pilot Sport A/S 3 for snow and ice (in the ultra high performance all season category). I put them on my Jaguar XF and couldn't be more pleased.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

If you're looking for an all season that closely mimics the performance of a summer tire the A/S 3 is the ticket. I bought these last fall to use as my dedicated winter tire (on a RWD 335i MSport Staggered) here in Ohio. We hardly ever see consecutive days of snow and my most important task for these tires was cold dry weather performance. They are brilliant at that. Keeps the car fun to drive even in the colder temps.

I still run my summer tires for 8 months out of the year but it's almost no compromise when I put the A/S 3s on.

I have also had Conti DWS tires and they are amazing in the snow, best all season tire in the snow that I have ever ran. However they are like driving on a marshmallow. The have very sluggish turn in and are pretty sloppy all around. There is no comparing the performance of the A/S 3 and the DWS on dry pavement. The A/S 3 is also really good on wet roads.

If I lived somewhere that saw snowy roads daily for the entire season I'd probably go with the DWSs or a dedicated snow tire but for the climates where you only see a few snow days a year the A/S 3 is the ticket.

Also, just to add, we saw the most snow here in Ohio last year that I can remember. Almost every other day the roads would be covered for a few week stretch. I hadn't planned on this consistent snow but the A/S 3s did just fine. I drove my back up 4x4 a few times when the snow was greater than 6"s. On completely snow covered roads I would not rate the A/S 3 very high. It can get you around but they definitely struggled in 6" of snow or deeper.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #7
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

The decision also depends on the size of your wheels and whether you plan to use non-RFT or RFT tires - with unfortunately fewer choices and even fewer choices with OEM 19" wheels.

I have a second set of OEM 19" 401 style wheels with Pirelli Sottozero Series II winter performance tires. These tires performed very well during the last winter in DC.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
jerflash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328xi/2002 ws6

I had them all last winter in NY on my msport 428i on the stock 18s and they were great. never got stuck and i dont have awd either! They are also great in the dry and the summer now...i would have nothing else on my car