F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Few questions about iDrive 5.0
proTUNING Freaks

08-06-2017, 09:16 PM   #1
kokoli84
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i F32 Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
Few questions about iDrive 5.0

Hi all,

Got a few questions about the new iDrive 5.0.

1. Is it possible to code the new iDrive 5.0 for watching video while driving?
2. Is there a way to make the 270 degree view default when I go reverse rather than the actual rear view camera?
3. Is there a way to sort the order in the main menu?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokoli84 View Post
Hi all,

2. Is there a way to make the 270 degree view default when I go reverse rather than the actual rear view camera?

Thanks.
1. Yes. Free solution can code up to 63 kph. Paid solutions ($50-300) can unlock for any speed.
2. Set by firmware. Some software remembers last view and others do not.
3. No.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #3
kokoli84
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
Thanks a lot!!

So for question #2, is there way to alter the firmware so that it remembers last view?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 09:22 PM   #4
maxdobe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
[QUOTE=Almaretto;22042764]1. Yes. Free solution can code up to 63 kph. Paid solutions ($50-300) can unlock for any speed.

Can you please elaborate on this? I got my car coded to play videos BUT I've noticed it only plays certain type of videos and some DVD movies it won't play. Is there a specific test one can do to confirm the coder added all the video formats and codecs possible?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 09:22 PM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks a lot!!

So for question #2, is there way to alter the firmware so that it remembers last view?
Not anyway of which I know. Firmware is locked pretty tight with security features.
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2017, 09:30 PM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdobe View Post
Can you please elaborate on this? I got my car coded to play videos BUT I've noticed it only plays certain type of videos and some DVD movies it won't play. Is there a specific test one can do to confirm the coder added all the video formats and codecs possible?
Playing video is one set of coding. Unlocking while in motion is another. Not sure what more to say on the subject. Do you have a specific question?

I do not know of any test. DVD's are encoded for different regions; that could be the only reason I could see them not playing. For USB, you have to enable additional codecs. Was it coded remotely? Do you have copy of your vehicle files?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 10:40 PM   #7
maxdobe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Playing video is one set of coding. Unlocking while in motion is another. Not sure what more to say on the subject. Do you have a specific question?

I do not know of any test. DVD's are encoded for different regions; that could be the only reason I could see them not playing. For USB, you have to enable additional codecs. Was it coded remotely? Do you have copy of your vehicle files?
Thanks Almaretto for writing. I'm no expert in the video codec area. I can play movies while in motion from DVD and from USB. Some dvds come up unsupported so just curious others did to.

WHAT I REALLY WANT is to get my Fios movies I BOUGHT 100% burned onto a USB. Damn that Fios. They make it impossible to download. When you buy a movie there it is supposed to travel with you for life. Anyhow know easiest way to put a Fios movie or iTunes movies from our libraries onto a USB for playback in the bmw. Can't stand the whole torrent thing. (sp?). Gotta be easier way.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdobe View Post
Thanks Almaretto for writing. I'm no expert in the video codec area. I can play movies while in motion from DVD and from USB. Some dvds come up unsupported so just curious others did to.

WHAT I REALLY WANT is to get my Fios movies I BOUGHT 100% burned onto a USB. Damn that Fios. They make it impossible to download. When you buy a movie there it is supposed to travel with you for life. Anyhow know easiest way to put a Fios movie or iTunes movies from our libraries onto a USB for playback in the bmw. Can't stand the whole torrent thing. (sp?). Gotta be easier way.
I do not use fios or torrents, so I know not.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #9
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks.
#3 is possible with ID6, I don't know about ID5. In ID6, with all the menu items visible on the main menu (press menu once, while already on main menu), if you push the controller to the left or right, the highlighted main menu option will shift to the direction you pushed the controller.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2017, 02:48 AM   #10
kokoli84
Private
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 440i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
#3 is possible with ID6, I don't know about ID5. In ID6, with all the menu items visible on the main menu (press menu once, while already on main menu), if you push the controller to the left or right, the highlighted main menu option will shift to the direction you pushed the controller.
Thank you, that solved my problem. I actually have the ID6 instead.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2017, 07:32 PM   #11
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks.
For question 1 there is a thread about the iOS app bimmercode or something which says it can unlock it.

I asked about coding it via esys, someone confirmed it worked and they knew how to do in esys and then went silent when I asked how.

2. I would love to know too, I prefer top view as default.

3. I changed mine to ID6 lite and was able to change the order as someone posted earlier.
Appreciate 0