F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Retrofit bmw integrated Sat Nav TMC not working
Studio RSR

02-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #23
RensterUK
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 330d

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but does anyone have any updates here? I've just had the retrofit installed and as with earlier comments, I get no tmc info at all.... also, the lack of automatic day/ night display switching is pitiful for a nav of this price, and arguably dangerous... you either leave it on day mode and get dazzled at night, leave it on night mode and struggle to see it in bright daylight, or mess around with settings as you drive.

It seems to me these units aren't fit for purpose.... they lack functionality found on navs 15 years ago!

Literally had mine installed 2 weeks ago... wondering where I stand because it sure as hell isn't as advertised / as you might expect...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 07:28 AM   #24
Frankly30
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
It seems in Europe they use one channel to broadcast TMC, whereas in the UK it varies, geographically. Actually in the UK we use radio station signals with a second broadcast of the TMC overlaid in it. Europe use a dedicated TMC channel, same frequency countrywide.
Nah, here in Europe it's the same (at least in Germany and Netherlands from my experience).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RensterUK View Post
Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but does anyone have any updates here? I've just had the retrofit installed and as with earlier comments, I get no tmc info at all....
I have the same issue, though I kept experimenting to it. Evidently I replaced the original antenna from the wiring harness (this piece) to a more sophisticated one like this.
The reception is by far better now, but still far from ideal. Welp at least I get a signal from home now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RensterUK View Post
also, the lack of automatic day/ night display switching is pitiful for a nav of this price, and arguably dangerous... you either leave it on day mode and get dazzled at night, leave it on night mode and struggle to see it in bright daylight, or mess around with settings as you drive.
I think the unit does tap into the can interface, so I also dont get why it wasnt implemented softwarewise, like turn into night mode when the low beams are on and vice versa...

Honestly I regret having this installed by BMW instead of going for a more cheaper Android system....

Last edited by Frankly30; 04-07-2019 at 12:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 04:28 PM   #25
BMTom
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Recently added this navigation retrofit to my car installed by a BMW dealer and I’m extremely happy with the results.

Prior to it being done I did lots of research into the product as it was quite costly and wanted something that would at least be somewhat useful. After reading that TMC didn’t work I was a little sceptical and almost cancelled the booking but decided for what I needed it for it wasn’t too important if the TMC definitely didn’t work.

Anyway fast forward to it being installed and I haven’t had an any bother with TMC not working. Seems to work flawlessly for me. It picks up all the messages automatically and will tell me en-route whether there’s traffic and try to redirect me if possible. I did add the extra traffic information which I bought on their website but I know that standard TMC works without this.

I would say the only thing is it doesn’t seem to pick up the messages immediately. For example stood outside my house it won’t give it me but 5 mins of driving it will begin to lock onto the different stations. I’ve checked mostly every time I drive (short and long journeys) and it picks up all sorts of traffic information. As to why others are having issues I’m not sure what to say. Perhaps other parts of the UK struggle with signal? Or I have an updated revised system?

Overall I’m really happy with the system. Sure it’s not as good as the factory nav system or probably even some of the Garmin and TomTom ones but I’ve used it a fair number of times so far and I have very little to complain about. Also added speed camera warnings and this is really handy too when driving in unfamiliar places.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 03:48 AM   #26
markhpara@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Angry Retro fit Sat Nav TMC fault

I seem to have walked in to the same trap. The Spec of my preowned F31 was everything I wanted with non of the M sport bling, The Becker was fitted at about £750 by coopers of York and the TMC did not work. I took it to my nearest BMW dealer and they fixed it free of charge, brilliant!!!! Then after more than 2 years the screen went blank as the unit was out of warranty I paid for it to be replaced. Works great apart from you guessed it no TMC!!! Its been back to my local dealer twice and they cant fix it, that cost more again. Becker assure me that its not a software or the ir hardware that the TMC cant identify any stations, its a BMW antenna problem.

If I do the factory reset at home no stations appear what so ever, if I park up next to the Sandy Heath transmitter the TMC picks up 2 stations but can't lock on. My conclusion is Becker may be right.

Any ideas? Anyone had this problem fixed? I'm not a RF engineer but may an new or upgraded antenna fix the problem? Mark
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 03:58 AM   #27
markhpara@gmail.com
Registered
Rep

Are you willing to say who fitted it?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 12:07 PM   #28
markhpara@gmail.com
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhpara@gmail.com View Post
Are you willing to say who fitted it?

Yes cooppers of York
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 12:14 PM   #29
markhpara@gmail.com
Registered
Rep

Update contacted BMW uk said it was the franchise, contacted coopers band its Harman Becker, Harman Becker and its BMW as nothing wrong. It shows all the signs of no antenna. Anyone know how to get a replacment modern Sat Nav I see the adverts for upgrades but find ot difficult who to use.
Appreciate 0