F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > GDPR - Previous service invoices
proTUNING Freaks

12-05-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A slow car

GDPR - Previous service invoices

Don’t need a full topic covering GDPR, but has anyone encountered this problem whilst trying to obtain paperwork/invoices from a BMW dealership, used approved?

Been told cannot be passed on due to data protection, obviously v5 doc has had this change almost a year ago too.

Thoughts? Would ideally like to know what’s been done, even if anything above and beyond.

Nothing wrong with the car, but if I sell privately I’m sure some questions will be asked...

Last edited by KTE; 12-05-2018 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #2
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

I have a service pack and now my local dealership only give a summary sheet showing wihch service was performed when you pick up the car.

I did ask and went through various levels to their Service Manager and the response from everyone was the same - they won't provide a copy invoice showing what parts were used during the service as (apparently) GDPR prevents them giving that information because BMW pay the invoice and not me.

I think a lot of people are just using GDPR as an excuse when they can't be bothered to do things as it's not isolated to BMW dealers.
      12-05-2018, 12:01 PM   #3
Harryg
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4series Grand Coupe

Well this should be interesting as I have asked the dealership to give me details of the warranty repair on my tailgate each time it has went in (Three times) they say a repair has been completed but I have no record.
I have asked them for a paper copy which enables me to keep a service history with the car
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

GDPR has nothing to do with telling you what parts have been changed on a car. The only concern would be copy invoices showing the payee or indeed payment details. GDPR does not mean that you can't show or provide a copy document so long as contact details have been removed or destroyed. Black pen counts as destroying.

So, it's bollocks.

For info I am a registered DP officer for four companies.
Appreciate 1
Ronstein416.00
      12-05-2018, 02:57 PM   #5
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

Ask for it in writing from them that it is GDPR that is stopping them from sharing the information.

It's 101% not the case and lots of companies are just jumping on those four magic letters to get out of doing stuff.

I reckon if you get their excuse we could formulate something for you to go back to them with.,
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #6
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

You can't share personally identifiable information about someone else. You could react the PII and then share the info that is only relevant to the car. So ask them to redact PII and provide the info pertinent only to car...

Also an acting DPO - can't wait to give the title back to someone for whom itsthe day job not just an add on whilst We recruit....
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 04:40 PM   #7
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
You can't share personally identifiable information about someone else. You could react the PII and then share the info that is only relevant to the car. So ask them to redact PII and provide the info pertinent only to car...

Also an acting DPO - can't wait to give the title back to someone for whom itsthe day job not just an add on whilst We recruit....
I am a full time DPO - agree with you. People putting up barriers blaming GDPR when not the case.

They can just redact the information. TBH, it's not categorised as "sensitive" data anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 05:03 PM   #8
hilift
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d f31 msport

Garage List
I had this data protection act bollux some years ago , trying to back track on service info on a car .
Utter obstructive garbage !!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #9
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

I appreciate this is all good in practise, and whilst I personally am not a serving DPO, GDPR is pretty much at the core of data management and technology I work with spanning across many sensitive establishments (health, education..)

This will probably fall down to whether they can be bothered to edit the printable document/however easy it is to do this... (yes Adobe paid subscription lets you edit PDF’s, but we don’t know it’s a PDF).

Is this something any dealership can provide? (Within the same group, I.e Synter for Synter maintained vehicle)

2 reasons I wanted this was for a future private sale, and to know exactly what was done. I already have a screenshot of some backend system for my vehicle, which details dates and service codes for maintenance and the AUC check, but isn’t descriptive.

E.g 42/os, mf, af, sp, LR.

Will update on the response, the initial was also written but there are some other elements needing attention. Maybe I’m being too pedantic, but if I were purchasing a used BMW privately I’d be dubious about a lack of invoices to accompany claimed services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
I am a full time DPO - agree with you. People putting up barriers blaming GDPR when not the case.

They can just redact the information. TBH, it's not categorised as "sensitive" data anyway.
Realistically it’s the address and any payment/contact details that may be the issue, haven’t had a BMW service invoice yet to be too precise.

Funnily enough another vehicle I went to see prior to picking mine up had full paperwork in the glove box, which I had a look at when given the keys to look around and start the engine.. gentleman’s full name, address, contact info..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 12:54 AM   #10
PaulT_M5
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F90

I work in IT Security, so GDPR is quite important in relation to my work too.

As I said, I think a lot of people are just using GDPR as an easy excuse when they can't be bothered to do things, especially as the majority of the public have no idea what it actually is, or care about it.

The only reason most people will have heard about it will be because they have been spammed by companies who don't actually understand it themselves so were incorrectly were sending out e-mails to every man and his dog, ironically breaching GDPR by using collected data for purposes other than that for which it was originally captured.
      12-06-2018, 03:49 PM   #11
meatballs
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Garage List
So ICO says Registration plate is personal information (as it can be used to identify you as the registered owner theres some bloaty paper somewhere about how they came to that conclusion even though registration plates are driving around in plain sight). So do a GDPR subject access request on your personal information and the reg as the identifier.

Last edited by meatballs; 12-06-2018 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 04:48 AM   #12
KTE
First Lieutenant
Rep

They’ve been quite reasonable and nice up to date, I think it was just pulling a quick one or what I think to be the case, just a lack of knowledge on the matter as mentioned several times over in the thread across many, many businesses!

Info has been edited/crossed out and have scans. Should really be drama free, maybe a word from a manager (who *fingers crossed*) is clued up can direct in the right direction for anyone else having problems!

Last edited by KTE; 12-07-2018 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 0