F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New 3 series and Z4
ARMA SPEED

03-15-2019, 06:21 AM   #111
DaveA
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood View Post
Some of this is due to the option pack's system. I like a high specced car but I do not want to be forced to have a panoramic roof if I want electric memory seats or larger wheels if I want adaptive suspension. No doubt some of this has been forced by all options/mixes testing of WLTP emission regs. if your own extra's preferences are not the "norm mix", as in my case BMW are going to lose your custom as they have done in my case.
This definitely applies to me in some of my thinking about the BMW's now... But it is the way things will continue to go, not just for testing for emissions etc, but rationalising the build processes..

CAR HISTORY - Golf GTI 245 - F30 340i M Sport - F30 330d M Sport MPPK - F30 320d Sport - 997 Gen2 GT3 - 987 Cayman S - 986 Boxster S - Ibiza Cupra - Polo 16v - E30 M3 (Official GB import) - Integra 16v - Mk2 Polo S - Mk1 Golf C
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 06:02 PM   #112
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

One of the defining things about BMW was the ability to spec the car just how you liked it with any combination of options, paint and leather (within reason) the new regime of forcing you to add a £2000 pack to get a £800 option you want isn't going to help buyers or make them think they have specced "their" perfect car.
      03-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #113
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
Really not feeling the black grille surround on that G20... The silver/chrome one will suit the front end much better, IMHO of course...
I reckon it'd look quite alluring if you painted the grille surround in a nice, bright red.....

Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      03-18-2019, 01:50 PM   #114
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

The father in law has a Z4 M40i which he was told was the only one on the road in the UK when they give it him. While they wait for his new 540i to come in

He likes it a lot. Not seen it myself but i bet its decent with that engine setup.

Waiting on the details for my new car allowance and im hoping ive got 45/25p back which is a game changer for my next car.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:07 AM   #115
ZeroFx
Major
Rep

I have just realised that the Z4 starts at 39k for 197hp!

TTS is 39k and comes with 306hp and a ton of high end options as standard including magnetic ride, Quattro and digital dash etc

BMW's 2.0T is aneamic in comparison to the Audi 2.0T.

The TTS is a 4.5 second car which is crazy fast sub 40k!

BMW really are making their cars less purchasable than ever.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:50 AM   #116
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Just went to Coopers, they have about 1000 new 3 Series'! And a couple of Z4's, X5's (including an M50d I could just spy through a window), 8 Series and M5 Comp:

chase bank near me hours today
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 09:55 AM   #117
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Andy View Post
Yes it was a short experiment that one...
I tend to get bored quickly (335d, M2, x3, 640i) in the past 12 months and now back in an M140i (again!).
With the new 1 series imminent, I decided to have one last fling with the last of the 3.0 rwd hot hatches before they’re gone for good

The 6 was lovely but if I’m honest, a bit too refined as strange as that may sound. My work mileage has dropped significantly and it seemed almost overkill to have the barge doing only 25 miles a day. It was a great place to be with all the toys but you could really feel the weight when pushing on (and slowing down!).
I feel cleansed
      03-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #118
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post
The father in law has a Z4 M40i which he was told was the only one on the road in the UK when they give it him. While they wait for his new 540i to come in

He likes it a lot. Not seen it myself but i bet its decent with that engine setup.

Waiting on the details for my new car allowance and im hoping ive got 45/25p back which is a game changer for my next car.
You mean its worth losing shit loads of money on a brand new car if someone else is covering the cost? I'll let Goneinsixtyseconds know your change of heart....
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 10:34 AM   #119
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
I have just realised that the Z4 starts at 39k for 197hp!

TTS is 39k and comes with 306hp and a ton of high end options as standard including magnetic ride, Quattro and digital dash etc

BMW's 2.0T is aneamic in comparison to the Audi 2.0T.

The TTS is a 4.5 second car which is crazy fast sub 40k!

BMW really are making their cars less purchasable than ever.
DtD will do a 2.0 TFSi S Line Stronic coupe for less than £30k after discount. Base Z4 isnt in the running unless its similar price..

I'd probably choose an MX5 2.0 Sport Nav 184 at just over 20k discounted ahead of the Z4 convertible too....
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 01:47 PM   #120
ZeroFx
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
You mean its worth losing shit loads of money on a brand new car if someone else is covering the cost? I'll let Goneinsixtyseconds know your change of heart....
Ill buy Ex Demo BMW all day long but from what i remember about Audi they dont give much off for buying their nearly new cars. I once looked at a A4 and they were 2k less used than new.

Id have to do my research but a nice TT is sub 40k 5 second car without the VED burden also so might be a contender for my next car.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 02:13 PM   #121
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Id have to do my research but a nice TT is sub 40k 5 second car without the VED burden also so might be a contender for my next car.
Hate to rain on your parade but where are you getting your price information from? According to the Audi website a TTS coupe is priced at £44,565 before you start adding options; therefore, unless I'm misreading something, it's not a sub-£40k car!

The TTS has only just reappeared on the Audi website (withdrawn temporarily for the new emission approvals I believe) but I can't imagine the price has suddenly jumped by £4k on its reintroduction. That being the case I'm not sure any ex-demos would have been under the £40k list price threshold either (especially if, like many demos, they've got a few options fitted).
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 03:37 PM   #122
ZeroFx
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Hate to rain on your parade but where are you getting your price information from? According to the Audi website a TTS coupe is priced at £44,565 before you start adding options; therefore, unless I'm misreading something, it's not a sub-£40k car!

The TTS has only just reappeared on the Audi website (withdrawn temporarily for the new emission approvals I believe) but I can't imagine the price has suddenly jumped by £4k on its reintroduction. That being the case I'm not sure any ex-demos would have been under the £40k list price threshold either (especially if, like many demos, they've got a few options fitted).
I was going off wrong info on autocars website about the TTS

But above i said the TT is a sub 40k car because it is in its 245hp format which is still very fast.

I think id want the TTS though as its just more special in every way and worth the extra imo.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 04:44 PM   #123
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
When you say plastic and trinkets what do you mean? The current F30 is pretty cheap and plastic inside (inc the leather) are you saying it's worse than that? What are the trinkets?
BMW users/critics are a fickle lot. Some are saying the G20 is moving the car up market, others are saying it is lacking, cheap looking and not a quality feel.

I've only seen pictures so far, but opinion seems to be as wide as ever, to what a BMW should be like, how we perceive quality and what a premium feel really is.

Don't believe BMW is going to please everyone, whatever they do.
My take on this is as follows.

To all our eyes the F series is very familiar and second nature. The design is also quite elegant and my dealer back in the day said their product training said the interiors were a layered design language. I can see that thinking of the F30/80 etc interior dash.

The new G cars are totally different design approach and it's a little shocking to the eye, in terms of less elegance and a more angular design. Rhomboidal shapes seem to be 'in'.

However the quality of material, fit and finish is far greater in the new G.

Thus until we become accustomed to the new design language etc etc most are not totally won over by the new interior and of course exterior.

The comment further above about perceived lack of quality in the new G20 though does seem strange having sat in it now.
      03-27-2019, 05:46 PM   #124
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
I was going off wrong info on autocars website about the TTS

But above i said the TT is a sub 40k car because it is in its 245hp format which is still very fast.

I think id want the TTS though as its just more special in every way and worth the extra imo.
You're right, a decent spec 245 bhp TT Quattro is available at under the £40k threshold and would be easily more than adequate for everyday use! I daresay a TTS would be nicer still but whether it's worth several thousand pounds more to buy - plus £315/annum more in road tax - is another matter. Guess the answer is to drive the two back to back and make your own decision....
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:07 PM   #125
ZeroFx
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
You're right, a decent spec 245 bhp TT Quattro is available at under the £40k threshold and would be easily more than adequate for everyday use! I daresay a TTS would be nicer still but whether it's worth several thousand pounds more to buy - plus £315/annum more in road tax - is another matter. Guess the answer is to drive the two back to back and make your own decision....
Looks like a 6 month wait for a TTS which means you would miss out on it for the summer. That sucks imo, id have changed my mind or seen something else to waste money on by the time it arrived as well as missing all the best driving conditions only to have to sit on the drive covered in crap all winter.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #126
richatha
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 340i

I saw one in the flesh tonight and a 40i. Personally I liked the look of it in the flesh I thought I wouldn't but it's good! Especially the paint job!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 05:25 PM   #127
ZeroFx
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richatha View Post
I saw one in the flesh tonight and a 40i. Personally I liked the look of it in the flesh I thought I wouldn't but it's good! Especially the paint job!
I just dont see many selling given its price range and competition.

the 20i is way too expensive.

30i with M sport plus package is 45k which is around the price of the TTS Roadster

Exept the TTS is 60hp more poweful, more economical and probably nets down cheaper after discount. 1 second faster to 62mph is a lot. It even comes in coupe with fold down seats with a big boot. Not to mention Quattro

M40i is Porsche money and i know what most would choose in this department.

Last edited by ZeroFx; 03-28-2019 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #128
M2Andy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
I feel cleansed
I often see your posts about how often you change and the ribbing you get and think to myself I’ll just keep quiet and let you take the flack from the other members
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      03-29-2019, 02:47 AM   #129
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by richatha View Post
I just dont see many selling given its price range and competition.

the 20i is way too expensive.

30i with M sport plus package is 45k which is around the price of the TTS Roadster

Exept the TTS is 60hp more poweful, more economical and probably nets down cheaper after discount. 1 second faster to 62mph is a lot. It even comes in coupe with fold down seats with a big boot. Not to mention Quattro

M40i is Porsche money and i know what most would choose in this department.
Agree it's poor value. Will suffer high depreciation
Appreciate 0