F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Warranty vs Modding
proTUNING Freaks

11-06-2017, 11:23 PM   #1
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
Warranty vs Modding

Hey guys, debating very hard right now about changing up my charge pipe and intercooler. The price is right, but I'm super nervous about how doing so would affect my CPO extended warranty that I paid $1700 for. I see our US counterparts talking about their laws requiring the dealer to prove the true cause of a fault, but I was wondering if anyone had any familiarity with the Canadian side? Or even more specifically BMW Toronto? I can't see what problems could arise from changing those 2 non-moving parts, but I'd imagine if I had engine trouble (for even something unrelated) I would be out of luck? If anyone could provide some reassurance I'd be super grateful! If I don't change up these 2 things I'll probably change my steering wheel instead.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 07:26 AM   #2
7iM3less
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kailec View Post
Hey guys, debating very hard right now about changing up my charge pipe and intercooler. The price is right, but I'm super nervous about how doing so would affect my CPO extended warranty that I paid $1700 for. I see our US counterparts talking about their laws requiring the dealer to prove the true cause of a fault, but I was wondering if anyone had any familiarity with the Canadian side? Or even more specifically BMW Toronto? I can't see what problems could arise from changing those 2 non-moving parts, but I'd imagine if I had engine trouble (for even something unrelated) I would be out of luck? If anyone could provide some reassurance I'd be super grateful! If I don't change up these 2 things I'll probably change my steering wheel instead.
Rather than speculate and lean on the forum to answer your question I would just walk into BMW Toronto or whomever you bought your car from and ask them (service advisor or manager) about the manufactures policy around aftermarket upgrades.

Toronto will tell you they are Dinan approved and your fine with their tunes (they also say they recommend that they install part) but any other modifications to drivetrain is your risk. If the tune is associated with something getting damaged the damaged part will not be covered under warranty.

Their words.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC328_F30 View Post
Rather than speculate and lean on the forum to answer your question I would just walk into BMW Toronto or whomever you bought your car from and ask them (service advisor or manager) about the manufactures policy around aftermarket upgrades.

Toronto will tell you they are Dinan approved and your fine with their tunes (they also say they recommend that they install part) but any other modifications to drivetrain is your risk. If the tune is associated with something getting damaged the damaged part will not be covered under warranty.

Their words.
Don't think that a charge pipe and intercooler would cause any problems though right? I was thinking BM3 after warranty is done but with just JB4 plus those 2 things can't imagine something will go wrong.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #4
440xiGCMsport
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC328_F30 View Post

Their words.
Don't think that a charge pipe and intercooler would cause any problems though right? I was thinking BM3 after warranty is done but with just JB4 plus those 2 things can't imagine something will go wrong.
I will almost guarantee you that they will deny warranty with the intercooler change. If you get a check engine light or worse blow an engine they can and will say your mod is causing it and want it back to stock before they waste time diagnosing it. Then you are stuck arguing with them or worse have to change it back to stock before any diagnoses by BMW. Worse case they say screw off.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
Kailec
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMsport View Post
I will almost guarantee you that they will deny warranty with the intercooler change. If you get a check engine light or worse blow an engine they can and will say your mod is causing it and want it back to stock before they waste time diagnosing it. Then you are stuck arguing with them or worse have to change it back to stock before any diagnoses by BMW. Worse case they say screw off.
Even though charge pipe and intercooler are more efficient versions of stock stuff eh?

I'm very conflicted.. lol
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 11:39 AM   #6
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440xiGCMsport View Post
Even though charge pipe and intercooler are more efficient versions of stock stuff eh?

I'm very conflicted.. lol
It doesn't matter if the aftermarket parts are "better."

If you swap out a critical OEM part with an aftermarket part they "could" deny your warranty.