F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > BSM Car Gets Dusty Quickly
ARMA SPEED

06-17-2018, 12:16 AM   #45
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

if you have enough M badges on a Black BMW I wouldn't worry, it should be safe to take it through automatic car washes the old ones with the stiff hard brushes and have rusted rails from the 1970's. then have them wipe it down hard and scrub real hard with dirty rusted and grease covered rags with iron filings in it that was not wash washed since 1970. Also. and use some steel wool for the stubborn spots and a rust scrapper brush on each panel use some sand from a local beach for tough spots.... do this each week or more also bring to the nearest BMW Dealer and let them wash it too, most of them know exactly how to wash a car properly. when it snows use a ice scraper on the paint to make sure the nice shiny black finish shines through and sparkle nicely and gleams thru the cold winter. and then cover it up with a nice and dirty car cover so that when you park it on the street it doesn't get damaged by any dust blowing in the wind.

Last edited by BMW11; 06-17-2018 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
jmg18658.50
      06-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #46
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW11 View Post
if you have enough M badges on a Black BMW I wouldn't worry, it should be safe to take it through automatic car washes the old ones with the stiff hard brushes and have rusted rails from the 1970's. then have them wipe it down hard and scrub real hard with dirty rusted and grease covered rags with iron filings in it that was not wash washed since 1970. Also. and use some steel wool for the stubborn spots and a rust scrapper brush on each panel use some sand from a local beach for tough spots.... do this each week or more also bring to the nearest BMW Dealer and let them wash it too, most of them know exactly how to wash a car properly. when it snows use a ice scraper on the paint to make sure the nice shiny black finish shines through and sparkle nicely and gleams thru the cold winter. and then cover it up with a nice and dirty car cover so that when you park it on the street it doesn't get damaged by any dust blowing in the wind.
Everything is great advice, but I do not want that dirty 'Chevy Water' touching my bmw at the car wash.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 03:22 PM   #47
That340i
Im real pressed.
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i X-Drive

My white 340i got dirty as soon as it drove off the lot...The thing I hate most about a white car is how much tire shine gets all over the sides of the car and the mirrors...Last time I washed my 340i which was (I don’t even remember). It was clean for almost a WEEK which is pretty weird considering the fact that after I applied the tire shine I avoided driving the car until the next day (which is weird because it sat outside the entire day), but it hasn’t been cleaned since and it’s FILTHY wheels are coated in brake dust, the tires and wheel wells are caked in mud (looks like I’ve been off-roading), exhaust tips are black. So all in all the car is just a complete mess right now....I would say I’m going to wash it but I probably won’t.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #48
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by That340i View Post
My white 340i got dirty as soon as it drove off the lot...The thing I hate most about a white car is how much tire shine gets all over the sides of the car and the mirrors...Last time I washed my 340i which was (I don’t even remember). It was clean for almost a WEEK which is pretty weird considering the fact that after I applied the tire shine I avoided driving the car until the next day (which is weird because it sat outside the entire day), but it hasn’t been cleaned since and it’s FILTHY wheels are coated in brake dust, the tires and wheel wells are caked in mud (looks like I’ve been off-roading), exhaust tips are black. So all in all the car is just a complete mess right now....I would say I’m going to wash it but I probably won’t.
Tire shine usually doesn't wick off the tires unless you're using too much.

I haven't had this issue before.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #49
pete-lang
Registered
Rep
Drives: F 30

The reason cars get dusty right away is when you drive the air moving over the car creates a static charge opposite of the dust and just like a magnet the dust gets sucked right on . Have you ever noticed when you use a duster it seems like your just pushing the dust around . I have been told to try and find a wax with out silicone that my help . I have 3 white cars and live in AZ

Pete the dust chaser
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 02:33 PM   #50
That340i
Im real pressed.
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
Tire shine usually doesn't wick off the tires unless you're using too much.

I haven't had this issue before.
I’ve used less...I use the Black Magic Tire Gel w/Applicator Pad. I’m about to try the Cover All for tire shine, I’ve been watching countless YouTube videos on Cover All...Has anyone had any experience with this?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #51
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

has anyone tried 303 Aerospace Protectant on tires? It is supposedly good for plastics and rubber. Its great on plastic, I use it but never tried it on rubber though.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #52
rgmichell
United_States
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

BSM is work to keep looking good. But when clean, there is nothing like it, especially after a wax job!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 03:58 AM   #53
RAK92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by That340i View Post
I’ve used less...I use the Black Magic Tire Gel w/Applicator Pad. I’m about to try the Cover All for tire shine, I’ve been watching countless YouTube videos on Cover All...Has anyone had any experience with this?
I use Adam’s VRT Tire Dressing. It keeps a subtle shine and doesn’t get flung off the tire when driving. For those that prefer a really “wet look” Adam’s makes another tire dressing for that, but I’ve never tried it.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 12:20 PM   #54
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

I would seal the car with ceramic coat or a sealant, or both, etc... then use Meguair's Ultimate Quik Wax after every wash.

When I dust my car I use the plushiest/high end microfiber towel that I have, and the wax makes it so much easier.

Never park under trees

Last edited by Speedwell-Industries; 07-03-2018 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #55
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalaihollo View Post
I would seal the car with a sealant, ceramic coat, etc... then use Meguair's Ultimate Quik Wax after every wash.

When I dust my car I use the plushiest/high end microfiber towel that I have, and the wax makes it so much easier.

Never park under trees
If you plan to ceramic coat the car, you shouldn't be using sealant first. You need a full bond with the paint. If you use sealant after, it should be silica based so it adheres to the coating properly. You will get hazing if you wax on a ceramic coating, as it wicks it away. I don't advise doing this. It ends up being a waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 01:07 PM   #56
Speedwell-Industries
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
If you plan to ceramic coat the car, you shouldn't be using sealant first. You need a full bond with the paint. If you use sealant after, it should be silica based so it adheres to the coating properly. You will get hazing if you wax on a ceramic coating, as it wicks it away. I don't advise doing this. It ends up being a waste of time.
Oops, I meant sealant or ceramic coat. I wasn't trying to imply that you put the ceramic over the sealant.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #57
DarkStarBimmer
Colonol Forbin
Rep
Drives: 17' BSM 330i xDrive

Garage List
2017 330i  [0.00]
Reflecting like a mirror after a fresh 2 bucket wash. I wish it wasn't so dusty in the desert
Attached Images

Appreciate 2