F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > INTAKE TESTING: Detailed Review, Data Analysis, & Comparison – MPPK vs. Dinan vs. CTS
GetBMWParts

01-21-2021, 08:23 PM   #67
Munchi435i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 435i M-sport

Putting this intake up for sale. As Jeremy mentioned its just not the right amount of noise that i was looking for. Its a great system and is practically new but I must be getting old and prefer to be driving around in stealth.

I have an ad in the classifieds section if anyone is interested
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 09:32 AM   #68
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Question - do you guys get a resonance noise with your intake around the 5500-6000 area towards redline?

The car sounds "throatier" but at a certain point, it's all intake noise - like a vacuum or plane. It's not unpleasant, it just sounds different.
      06-08-2021, 11:29 AM   #69
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Question - do you guys get a resonance noise with your intake around the 5500-6000 area towards redline?

The car sounds "throatier" but at a certain point, it's all intake noise - like a vacuum or plane. It's not unpleasant, it just sounds different.
With what intake? Stock or MPPK airbox bottom with dry filter?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 12:03 PM   #70
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
With what intake? Stock or MPPK airbox bottom with dry filter?
I have the MMPK with a AFE drop in. Actually, let me check is I have the lower installed instead of the stock airbox.

Edit: I do.
      06-10-2021, 01:35 PM   #71
PUREF30cjz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 335i xdrive

So in this intake testing I have the AFE intake like this one https://afepower.com/afe-power-54-82...-intake-system I was told by some that the stock intake was just as good with a crop in so I put it in and did some logging. Heres what I found spool up does indeed get a lil better with the stocker but not much. The AFE does flow much more air with the PS2 turbo im using and the stocker seems to limit the upper end power the MAF grams were about 40 grams less with the stocker versus the AFE. I would like more sound but the AFE does have nice noises the stocker is too quiet but I feel the AFE is as well.

If theres another intake option that is better I would sure love to try it out want the best to use to help quick spool up as well as flow with the PS2 turbo
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 01:47 PM   #72
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335icjz View Post
So in this intake testing I have the AFE intake like this one https://afepower.com/afe-power-54-82...-intake-system I was told by some that the stock intake was just as good with a crop in so I put it in and did some logging. Heres what I found spool up does indeed get a lil better with the stocker but not much. The AFE does flow much more air with the PS2 turbo im using and the stocker seems to limit the upper end power the MAF grams were about 40 grams less with the stocker versus the AFE. I would like more sound but the AFE does have nice noises the stocker is too quiet but I feel the AFE is as well.

If theres another intake option that is better I would sure love to try it out want the best to use to help quick spool up as well as flow with the PS2 turbo
What inlet are you running? Pure?

I would like to see evidence that "The AFE does flow much more air". I assume you are looking at the MAF readings in the datalogs, lets see them. I am also suspicious that the intake itself isn't just skewing the MAF readings and you are actually flowing more air. I suppose it also depends on what tune you are running, but if you are on a load based tune i doubt the AFE is making any more power. There's people with PS2s and stock intake, including OEM paper filter, making 500whp no problem.
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2267.50
      06-10-2021, 04:16 PM   #73
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
What inlet are you running? Pure?

I would like to see evidence that "The AFE does flow much more air". I assume you are looking at the MAF readings in the datalogs, lets see them. I am also suspicious that the intake itself isn't just skewing the MAF readings and you are actually flowing more air. I suppose it also depends on what tune you are running, but if you are on a load based tune i doubt the AFE is making any more power. There's people with PS2s and stock intake, including OEM paper filter, making 500whp no problem.
While I agree, making X power on X hardware doesn't mean that it's not a limiting factor.

I'd like to see the logs and are you comparing this to the stock paper filter or a drop in filter?
      06-10-2021, 05:26 PM   #74
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
While I agree, making X power on X hardware doesn't mean that it's not a limiting factor.

I'd like to see the logs and are you comparing this to the stock paper filter or a drop in filter?
Agree 100% with the first part.

If you are asking me for logs with people running paper filter/stock intake with PS2 i dont have any on hand. The threads on that were from quite a while back and I didnt save them.

If you are asking for his logs then yes i want to see them as well lol. I don't think I've looked at MST intake logs in detail as its pretty uncommon.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 07:20 PM   #75
SlumpLord3000
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i 2014 x Drive Luxury

I noticed in the write up, all tests are done without the AFE scoop. Someone of the forum mention 1-2F IAT difference.

Since you made such a great write up, I wonder if you can do a test to see if $50 piece of plastic actually does anything.
2014 335i xdrive Luxury |VRSF 5" HD FMIC|AA catted DP|FTP Charge & Boost pipe|GFB DV+|BM3 STG 2|XHP STG 2|Afe Scoop|Match UP 7BMW amp|NGK 2 Step Colder(.024gap)|Dinan Ignition Coils|Weichers Steel Strut Bar|Michelin A/S 3+
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 07:28 PM   #76
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlumpLord3000 View Post
I noticed in the write up, all tests are done without the AFE scoop. Someone of the forum mention 1-2F IAT difference.

Since you made such a great write up, I wonder if you can do a test to see if $50 piece of plastic actually does anything.
Everyone always seems to argue that the pre-IC intake temp is mostly irrelevant, even though i have pushed back on that, so I have never actually seen anyone say IATs are lower with the scoop. In any case 1-2F is negligible. I never bought one because i feel like any potential benefits are outweighed by forcing more dust/debris/water/etc into the airbox and filter. Also, any sort of "ram air" effect would be negated if you have the MPPK airbox bottom as i do now.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 07:42 AM   #77
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Agree 100% with the first part.

If you are asking me for logs with people running paper filter/stock intake with PS2 i dont have any on hand. The threads on that were from quite a while back and I didnt save them.

If you are asking for his logs then yes i want to see them as well lol. I don't think I've looked at MST intake logs in detail as its pretty uncommon.
No, I meant him - I was on my phone so I was trying to type it out quickly.
      06-11-2021, 11:45 AM   #78
PUREF30cjz
Private
Rep

Oh my lord guys i have literally 100s of logs and dont have a clue which ones they were. But with that said i could easily replicate it again i have both intakes still. I have David Shoup doing my tuning hes amazing. I am running the pure inlet i didnt do the whole inlet as pure said it didnt make a difference in flow versus just the partial inlet that connects to the stock tube.

The AFE does flow more and can even be felt in the upper rpms versus the stocker. Now mind you this was running a completely stock intake stock bottom unmodified stock new bmw filtet stock top. Like i said this is not a pitch for AFE as i dont care .... personally i want whatever wks best for my setup. Best spool up, most power, smoothest running but id love some more sound.

That all being said i may get some time this weekend to do a back to back run same road, same day, same temp, same tune and show that it does have a higher maf reading. Does mean anything who knows, i can say that even the butt dyno feels a difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 12:34 PM   #79
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Oh my lord guys i have literally 100s of logs and dont have a clue which ones they were. But with that said i could easily replicate it again i have both intakes still. I have David Shoup doing my tuning hes amazing. I am running the pure inlet i didnt do the whole inlet as pure said it didnt make a difference in flow versus just the partial inlet that connects to the stock tube.

The AFE does flow more and can even be felt in the upper rpms versus the stocker. Now mind you this was running a completely stock intake stock bottom unmodified stock new bmw filtet stock top. Like i said this is not a pitch for AFE as i dont care .... personally i want whatever wks best for my setup. Best spool up, most power, smoothest running but id love some more sound.

That all being said i may get some time this weekend to do a back to back run same road, same day, same temp, same tune and show that it does have a higher maf reading. Does mean anything who knows, i can say that even the butt dyno feels a difference.
I'll withhold any judgement until i see the logs you described as bolded above where the only change is the intake. Get at least 2 4th gear pulls of each (3rd if 6MT)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 07:26 PM   #80
PUREF30cjz
Private
Rep

No way on earth i can do 4th gear ill be goin way to fast on this back road i use but i can do 2 3rd gear pulls no prob even tben im well into the triple digits at 7k
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 10:55 PM   #81
PUREF30cjz
Private
Rep

Ok Jeremy heres what I discovered today doing a back to back. Now I got a peak reading of 435 grams per second at 6500 with the AFE. I pulled over changed to the totally stock intake and I had to use an air filter from a different car since everyone was out of a stock bmw one but it fit very well so the stocker was already at a slight disadvantage. But started it up took it for a drive to let it adapt a little. First thing I noticed was my idle was alot smoother!! Throttle response, boost, everything came in alot quicker as well. Driving seemed much cleaner and smooth and mind you my filter was just cleaned in the AFE. After 30 miles went back to same exact road and did another 3rd gear pull all the way to 7k just like with the AFE. You sir are correct I was mistaken I must have been thinking of something else as the stocker hit 440 grams per second at 6400 but held it to redline but the AFE dropped too 424 by redline, Interesting results but you have made a believer and so I am going to order a MPPK bottom, what drop in would you recommend?

I never thought id go back to the stock intake especially after what I paid but like I said above I want the best working for my car not the best looking. Thanks brother much appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 11:56 PM   #82
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ok Jeremy heres what I discovered today doing a back to back. Now I got a peak reading of 435 grams per second at 6500 with the AFE. I pulled over changed to the totally stock intake and I had to use an air filter from a different car since everyone was out of a stock bmw one but it fit very well so the stocker was already at a slight disadvantage. But started it up took it for a drive to let it adapt a little. First thing I noticed was my idle was alot smoother!! Throttle response, boost, everything came in alot quicker as well. Driving seemed much cleaner and smooth and mind you my filter was just cleaned in the AFE. After 30 miles went back to same exact road and did another 3rd gear pull all the way to 7k just like with the AFE. You sir are correct I was mistaken I must have been thinking of something else as the stocker hit 440 grams per second at 6400 but held it to redline but the AFE dropped too 424 by redline, Interesting results but you have made a believer and so I am going to order a MPPK bottom, what drop in would you recommend?

I never thought id go back to the stock intake especially after what I paid but like I said above I want the best working for my car not the best looking. Thanks brother much appreciated!!
Thanks for sharing your experience. I strongly believe stock intake with MPPK bottom and dry drop in filter (i use AFE pro dry s to answer your question) is the best all around in many respects. I'll speak only to stock turbo application because that's what i tested but i think it goes far further than that as you experienced. This is particularly true when you pair with MST v2; its a very optimized intake setup.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 10:32 AM   #83
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
Silly question, but shouldn't we also be looking at WGDC in the back to back runs?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #84
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paimon.soror View Post
Silly question, but shouldn't we also be looking at WGDC in the back to back runs?
Sure, you can, but i already did detailed testing on the CTS (including WGDC) and there's no way the MST intake has less restriction/better airflow than the CTS. And the data showed that the CTS didnt even lower WGDC compared to stock/MPPK. WGDC aside, the driveability, good idle, response, etc, are far more important than +/- 2% WGDC.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 02:49 PM   #85
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yup, been following this thread a bit. I'm tempted to switch back to stock just to see how it feels again.. been running CTS for about 3 years now.

Since cts was my first mod, it's been a while.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 05:46 PM   #86
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
K, back to back runs, same day, all within 30 mins:

Tune: BM3 Stg2 , XHP Stage 3
Mod list: VSRF 5" stepped street, pure full inlet, wagner dp, TS recirc DV, WMI

CTS:
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=60c6...729b58ef6e8ce5

Stock w/ Stock bottom & OEM paper filter (3 months old):
https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=60c6...90c679580d12a6

Seem almost identical. wish i had the MPPK bottom and AFE just to see the difference - but to everyone elses point, its interesting how much smoother the car feels....*shrugs*

Last edited by paimon.soror; 06-13-2021 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 05:47 PM   #87
PUREF30cjz
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. I strongly believe stock intake with MPPK bottom and dry drop in filter (i use AFE pro dry s to answer your question) is the best all around in many respects. I'll speak only to stock turbo application because that's what i tested but i think it goes far further than that as you experienced. This is particularly true when you pair with MST v2; its a very optimized intake setup.
Well Im running a PS2 with their inlet so that speaks volumes over a stock turbo. I will be ordering an AFE pro dry S as well an I couldnt agree with you more I feel this is a great setup. I honestly couldnt believe I was driving the same car today its that much better. Idle, driveability, smoothness, and holds the power to redline even better than my AFE so its a total win win for me .... well other than thats a waste of 500 bucks an I just spent another 300 for the mppk bottom and a new AFE drop in lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 12:00 PM   #88
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Well Im running a PS2 with their inlet so that speaks volumes over a stock turbo. I will be ordering an AFE pro dry S as well an I couldnt agree with you more I feel this is a great setup. I honestly couldnt believe I was driving the same car today its that much better. Idle, driveability, smoothness, and holds the power to redline even better than my AFE so its a total win win for me .... well other than thats a waste of 500 bucks an I just spent another 300 for the mppk bottom and a new AFE drop in lol.
Well you could have just cut the MPPK hole in your airbox bottom and saved that $300 lol, i show pictures of how i did mine in the inlet thread. But yeah, good to hear from your experience the stock intake is fine for PS2 as well (which we have already seen elsewhere)
Appreciate 0