F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > SoonerJohnInDallas' F30 European Delivery Thread
ARMA SPEED

03-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #89
rmm0031
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 335  [0.00]
pcbrew

Can't add a whole lot as I am still driving an old E39 and haven't gotten to use it yet. However, English link is at https://www.bmw-routes.com/de/en/routes/index.jsp

Yes, this requires you to have NAV. Not sure how the interface can work with BMW Assist or Apps, but yes you can also do the USB transfer. My friend has a Z4 and has done that.

I recall when my brother did ED for his M3 he had European maps available to him while he was here. Not sure if that required any tweaking of the vehicle before delivery or if they provide it as standard for all folks taking the ED.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #90
Gripster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just picked up this thread from the homepage. Keep it coming with the pics. European Delivery was the best car buying experience ever. 6 years on and we are still loving the car - in part because of the memories.
      03-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #91
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0031 View Post
pcbrew

Can't add a whole lot as I am still driving an old E39 and haven't gotten to use it yet. However, English link is at https://www.bmw-routes.com/de/en/routes/index.jsp

Yes, this requires you to have NAV. Not sure how the interface can work with BMW Assist or Apps, but yes you can also do the USB transfer. My friend has a Z4 and has done that.

I recall when my brother did ED for his M3 he had European maps available to him while he was here. Not sure if that required any tweaking of the vehicle before delivery or if they provide it as standard for all folks taking the ED.
Thanks!

I believe you get Euro maps for ED and they get swapped for US maps on re-delivery.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #92
sbw
Ultimate Driver
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche Cayman

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #93
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i - ED scheduled 3/1/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbw View Post
Simmer down. I've posted several pics if you'll look back through it. I'll post more as soon as Internet connection quality allows.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #94
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
Can you clarify what this is?

Seems like there is a feature called "Discover Routes" if you have Nav and BMW Connected Drive. Not sure if this works on US cars in Germany, but would, at minimum require Nav + BMW assist.

Also interesting is that this seems to indicate you can save a route to a USB stick and upload to the Nav system without Connected Drive.

Looks like you need to use this web interface to download to USB stick and it only supports Europe...

Even if the internet connection does not work on US cars, seems like the USB method could be used on US cars. Is there an English language version? Would be very cool to be able to use this on ED.
The BMW-routes option is not available on US spec cars because they don't have the option in iDrive to upload a route from USB stick. I can only assume this option is disabled to force people to pay for BMW Assist if they want to be able to transfer routes into the car from external somehow. :-)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #95
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerJohnInDallas View Post
The BMW-routes option is not available on US spec cars because they don't have the option in iDrive to upload a route from USB stick. I can only assume this option is disabled to force people to pay for BMW Assist if they want to be able to transfer routes into the car from external somehow. :-)
Didn't they have an app for that? Or I thought I read something like that a while ago.. never looked too much into it as I don't see how they can give me any other interesting route besides driving in a circle on this island lol xD

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #96
Bimmerlover76
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Simmer down. I've posted several pics if you'll look back through it. I'll post more as soon as Internet connection quality allows.
Agreed, but he does have a point.

You have 1 pic of your... truck, and only two of your lovely new car. Nice pictures of the cathedral though! Love it.

So, yeah, when you get the chance, we are beggin' for some pics of your ride. The BMW, please.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #97
pcbrew
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
Didn't they have an app for that? Or I thought I read something like that a while ago.. never looked too much into it as I don't see how they can give me any other interesting route besides driving in a circle on this island lol xD

What you get in the US with BMW Assists is the ability to send addresses from Google maps to the Nav system via an email address. (Not quite the same as sending a route.)
http://cache.bmwusa.com/pdf_c391eba0...a-749bf176e325

Quote:
MyInfo allows you to send business
locations and street addresses to your
BMW from the Google Maps web site.
The destination can then be linked to the
BMW Nav system or your Bluetooth phone
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #98
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
What you get in the US with BMW Assists is the ability to send addresses from Google maps to the Nav system via an email address. (Not quite the same as sending a route.)
http://cache.bmwusa.com/pdf_c391eba0...a-749bf176e325
I just looked it up but it's something different than I thought it was.. I was thinking about this here: https://market.android.com/details?i....ultimatedrive but it doesn't say anything about Assist. So either way, my post didn't make sense xD

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:31 AM   #99
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Okay, it's time for a proper update and some more pictures.
  • Friday after the castle I returned to Munich and met "Entropic Artist" and his friend for dinner. We had a good time, but forgot to take a picture! Didn't do anything other than dinner and one beer since they had flown in overnight and done the car delivery that day and were pretty worn out.
  • Yesterday, I drove out east on the A8 to the border with Austria just before Salzburg (more to share on that drive out, but will have to do it later since it'll take more time) and then went down to drive up near the "Eagle's Nest". Not surprisingly, the road was still closed to get all the way up, but it was a neat area regardless
  • Then I drove across the German Alpine Road all the way to Fussen where I stayed for the night. (Yes, I did a big circle that brought me right back to the castle again :-)
  • I'm about to head out for the day and will make my way north up the Romantic Road until I decided it's time to call it a day.

I'll follow this post up immediately with some more pictures, going all the way back to delivery time and through. (I've had several requests for more photos of the car!)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #100
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

First, more delivery photos:

Right after I got all checked in and papers signed in the Premium Lounge, I looked out the window just in time to see the guy getting out of my car after parking it in delivery location (sorry for the bad quality - through glass and taken in a rush):

Here's another photo looking down on my car from the Premium Lounge as I waited for delivery:

First view of my car rounding the bend on the infamous stairs (the walk down to the actual delivery, for those of you who haven't done one before. This is when the turn the turntable on and your car starts spinning around as you approach it. VERY cool!!!):

Here are a few delivery photos. Note the one where I'm making the same pose as I did with my old truck at home before leaving :-)

This is Iris, who delivered the car to me:

I have several more of the Welt and Museum, but will post them later.

Here's a spread of all my goodies from delivery day. (I realized after I had purchased it that I accidentally bought a BMW Motorcycles coffee mug - I was looking for a good mug and when I saw one I liked I didn't look close enough at it to realize it was a Motorcycles version. Oh well...):

Close-up of my engraved key chain with ED and the date of delivery engraved:
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:49 AM   #101
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Now some photos of the rest of that first day...

First gas fill. OUCH!!!

I forgot to photo the odometer at delivery time, but it had 6 miles on it. (Not sure why since others had been having theirs delivered with zero in the past. Entropic Artist had his delivered with the same 6ish miles, so that must be the way they do it now. I was told that the 6 miles is from the run test in the factory.) So anyway - here it was with 8 miles when I remembered to take the photo:

Back in the Welt garage at the end of Day 1. 86 miles now:

And here are a few more shots of it in the Welt garage (trying to give people views of the paint color in different lighting situations):

Interior photo and iDrive screen (Nav version) in Welt garage:

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:57 AM   #102
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm sooo jealous of you right now.. also getting all kinds of goodies there besides the awesome ED! Not to mention the sweet ride, looks like the color is a winner in all the various light settings! I seriously have to do this next time I buy another car haha

edit: btw, you should go across the borders, more specifically to the Netherlands, for gas.. then you really don't know what you see.. current price is about € 1.88 per liter Super Plus :S

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 01:57 AM   #103
SoonerJohnInDallas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Driving across the Alpine Road yesterday was beautiful, but it wasn't a good day for picture taking - there was a haze in the air everywhere - just very light clouds, I assume since I'm certain it wasn't smog! :-) But here's one that I thought was good just before dark as I was approaching Fussen:

And again, to comply with the requests for more pics of the car, here are some I took this morning on a drizzly overcast morning:

Here are the new style front license plate holders. I don't know why there are 2 - haven't figured that out yet. I can't look at how they attache because the front plate from the Euro Delivery is in the way:

I'm at 541 miles now:

Don't bother looking for the dipstick. Oil level can only be checked electronically now! What a crazy world we live in :-)

And a few more exterior to see it in the overcast weather. It seems this color really needs sunshine or bright lights to look great. In overcast or dark, it just looks 'okay' (IMHO):

Okay, I have got to get moving!! I'm about 1 to 1.5 hours later hitting the road this morning than planned...
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 03:34 AM   #104
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Congrats on your new car sir.

The plate frame on the right is for the back plate, once the euro plate comes off.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!!

Quote:
Here are the new style front license plate holders. I don't know why there are 2 - haven't figured that out yet. I can't look at how they attache because the front plate from the Euro Delivery is in the way:

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 04:07 AM   #105
volsfan0911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI

Thanks for the pics & updates! And yes, that first fill looks painful......makes metro DC/Baltimore look pretty good at $3.99/gallon

Last edited by volsfan0911; 03-04-2012 at 04:12 AM.. Reason: addition
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #106
jgrasty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
My 328i had 6 miles on it when I picked it up from the dealer, as well. He also gave me a full tank of gas; I'm a little surprised you didn't get a full tank.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #107
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Thanks for the update John!

Congrats on the ED again!

How's the new car smell?? you still enjoy it day after day ...

i cant wait for mine !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #108
pcbrew
Captain
Rep

Can you enlighten me on parking in the Welt garage?

Is this just a free parking place when you are in Munich since it can be difficult / expensive to find parking?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #109
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Don't be rude; the guy is enjoying his ED in Germany, not working as an employee for our enjoyment. I'm sure that he will be posting more pictures when he gets time.
      03-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #110
PrinceBarin
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 CP (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb
Quote:
Don't be rude; the guy is enjoying his ED in Germany, not working as an employee for our enjoyment. I'm sure that he will be posting more pictures when he gets time.
+1.
Appreciate 0