F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Tire Width for 340i xDrive
ARMA SPEED

11-04-2021, 05:13 PM   #1
F30Manolis
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F30 340i xDrive

Garage List
Tire Width for 340i xDrive

I'm currently running a staggered set of Michelin pilot as/3+ on the factory 18" wheels. At 23k my rear tires are down to the wear bars. I'm considering going back to a square set up for my next set of tires to be able to rotate. Is there a downside to going back to square vs staying staggered? Also, Is there any benefit to going wider than the stock 225 square tire width? If so what width would be good?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 07:49 PM   #2
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

are your 18" OEM rims, 18x8 ET34 square? or 18x8 ET34 & 18x8.5 ET47 staggered? if they are staggered you can only swap across the axle, not front<->rear, due to different f&r offsets.

if you have 18x8 ET34 square, consider 235/45/18 all corners. here is a link of it...
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1634952&page=2
Appreciate 1
johnung4510.50
      11-04-2021, 10:42 PM   #3
F30Manolis
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
are your 18" OEM rims, 18x8 ET34 square? or 18x8 ET34 & 18x8.5 ET47 staggered? if they are staggered you can only swap across the axle, not front<->rear, due to different f&r offsets.

if you have 18x8 ET34 square, consider 235/45/18 all corners. here is a link of it...
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1634952&page=2
I have the square 18x8.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 12:41 AM   #4
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Manolis View Post
I have the square 18x8.
235/45/18 square
continental extremecontact dws06 plus
michelin pilot sport all season 4
general gmax as-05, budget friendly w/slight trade off in performance

IF you are lowered you can do 245/40/18 square. if unlowered, using this size will cause the unsightly x-drive wheel gap to increase...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 07:03 AM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
I'm currently running a staggered set of Michelin pilot as/3+ on the factory 18" wheels. At 23k my rear tires are down to the wear bars. I'm considering going back to a square set up for my next set of tires to be able to rotate. Is there a downside to going back to square vs staying staggered? Also, Is there any benefit to going wider than the stock 225 square tire width? If so what width would be good?
I've got the stock square setup with 400M ET34 wheels. I upgraded from stock runflat 225/45-18 to 245/40-18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Great handling! Always important to keep air pressures correct.

The square setup allows me to rotate them front to rear. I've been taking tread depth measurements across the tread every time that I rotate them. Wear has been very even. I estimate that I'll get at least 20k miles. A big plus that people forget is that with rotation the car will handle consistently throughout its entire tire life. The fronts or rears won't wear out sooner causing a handling deficiency.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 07:10 AM   #6
F30Manolis
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
I've got the stock square setup with 400M ET34 wheels. I upgraded from stock runflat 225/45-18 to 245/40-18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Great handling! Always important to keep air pressures correct.

The square setup allows me to rotate them front to rear. I've been taking tread depth measurements across the tread every time that I rotate them. Wear has been very even. I estimate that I'll get at least 20k miles. A big plus that people forget is that with rotation the car will handle consistently throughout its entire tire life. The fronts or rears won't wear out sooner causing a handling deficiency.

Hope this helps!
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps!
Perfect. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm strongly considering a 245/40-18 square setup. What pressure are you running? I feel like I've never been able to get the tire pressure right going from run-flats to go-flats. What are the differences you feel from the stock setup? Any negatives?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 09:13 AM   #7
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps!
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this helps!
Perfect. This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm strongly considering a 245/40-18 square setup. What pressure are you running? I feel like I've never been able to get the tire pressure right going from run-flats to go-flats. What are the differences you feel from the stock setup? Any negatives?
I keep my cold tire pressures at F32/R35 which seems to work well for me. If I'm taking a long freeway trip then I bump the cold pressures up about 2 lbs.

The MPS4S summer tires grip is amazing. When I enter a turn it feels like the edge tread grabs the asphalt. I can really feel a big difference in the stability of the 245/40's vs the 225/45.

My winter tires are actually the stock size 225/45-18. So I spend from December to March waiting for the temperatures to get back over 40F so I can put my wider summer tires back on. The 245/40's feel more stable just driving down the highway. No downsides at all to going wider as far as handling or comfort. I was surprised that the MPS4S were much more comfortable than the stiff sidewall runflats. They absorb rough roads much better.

My winter tires (Michelin X-Ice SNOW) are awesome as temperatures drop into the 20's the rubber compound actually feels softer and grips the cold pavement better. All my life I was used to all season tires feeling harder and less grippy as it got colder.

Note: I chose the stock size 225/45 for my winter tires for a worst case scenario situation of unplowed high snowfall. I've been told that wider tires tend to almost hydroplane over heavy snow while more narrow tires dig through it. But in hindsight on the rare occasions where we get 6" or more snow in my area, it's plowed pretty quickly and I have no reason to be out in it. If I did it over I'd get the identical tire size for summer and winter tires. If I lived in the mountains it would be different.

Only possible con might be aesthetics. As Alohasurftoad noted, the diameter of 245/40-18 tires is slightly less than stock. Some people think that they can see an increase in front tire to fender gap. I think that some of that may be due to differing tire width and tread width too.

Using TireRack's measured numbers to compare tire diameter of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S to my stock runflats.

26.3" 235/45-18 MPS4S
26.0" 225/45-18 Pirelli Runflats
25.7" 245/40-18 MPS4S

Now it's important to note that those are diameter values. The radius of 0.15" is the actual increase or decrease in gap depending on which upgraded tire size is chosen. For comparison 1/8"= 0.125 so the difference in gap is a little more than 1/8". I really think that any perceived visual difference has more to do with the difference in the taper of two tire's width and tread width, than the actual 1/8" gap difference.

So both tire sizes are a definite improvement in handling. If the emphasis is on the aesthetics of tire/fender gap then choose 235/45-18. If the emphasis is on the feeling of maximum stability from a wider tire, then choose 245/40-18. Really can't go wrong either way.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 09:52 AM   #8
F30Manolis
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I keep my cold tire pressures at F32/R35 which seems to work well for me. If I'm taking a long freeway trip then I bump the cold pressures up about 2 lbs.

The MPS4S summer tires grip is amazing. When I enter a turn it feels like the edge tread grabs the asphalt. I can really feel a big difference in the stability of the 245/40's vs the 225/45.

My winter tires are actually the stock size 225/45-18. So I spend from December to March waiting for the temperatures to get back over 40F so I can put my wider summer tires back on. The 245/40's feel more stable just driving down the highway. No downsides at all to going wider as far as handling or comfort. I was surprised that the MPS4S were much more comfortable than the stiff sidewall runflats. They absorb rough roads much better.

My winter tires (Michelin X-Ice SNOW) are awesome as temperatures drop into the 20's the rubber compound actually feels softer and grips the cold pavement better. All my life I was used to all season tires feeling harder and less grippy as it got colder.

Note: I chose the stock size 225/45 for my winter tires for a worst case scenario situation of unplowed high snowfall. I've been told that wider tires tend to almost hydroplane over heavy snow while more narrow tires dig through it. But in hindsight on the rare occasions where we get 6" or more snow in my area, it's plowed pretty quickly and I have no reason to be out in it. If I did it over I'd get the identical tire size for summer and winter tires. If I lived in the mountains it would be different.

Only possible con might be aesthetics. As Alohasurftoad noted, the diameter of 245/40-18 tires is slightly less than stock. Some people think that they can see an increase in front tire to fender gap. I think that some of that may be due to differing tire width and tread width too.

Using TireRack's measured numbers to compare tire diameter of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S to my stock runflats.

26.3" 235/45-18 MPS4S
25.7" 245/40-18 MPS4S

Now it's important to note that those are diameter values. The radius of 0.15" is the actual increase or decrease in gap depending on which upgraded tire size is chosen. For comparison 1/8"= 0.125 so the difference in gap is a little more than 1/8". I really think that any perceived visual difference has more to do with the difference in the taper of two tire's width and tread width, than the actual 1/8" gap difference.

So both tire sizes are a definite improvement in handling. If the emphasis is on the aesthetics of tire/fender gap then choose 235/45-18. If the emphasis is on the feeling of maximum stability from a wider tire, then choose 245/40-18. Really can't go wrong either way.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much. This is exactly what I was looking for. Increased front end grip, stability and handling is my main goal. My only concern is hydroplaning and snow driving. Have you had any problems in the rain?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 10:49 AM   #9
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

26.3" 235/45-18 MPS4S
25.7" 245/40-18 MPS4S

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much. This is exactly what I was looking for. Increased front end grip, stability and handling is my main goal. My only concern is hydroplaning and snow driving. Have you had any problems in the rain?
Actually the summer Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires are amazing in the rain. I have to remind myself to slow down when it's raining because the tires act like it's dry pavement. I've had similar experience with the Michelin X-Ice SNOW tires.

They actually shocked me the first time that I drove them on black ice. It was during morning rush hour and temps were in the 20's. I was stuck in the middle of traffic on a three lane highway. Cars were just spinning their drive wheels whether they had FWD or RWD. It was so bad that people got out to help each other push their cars off the road. As soon as a couple cars were pushed out of my way, I just drove around the rest on the ice as if it was dry. I went immediately to the empty shopping center parking lot across the street to do donuts on the ice. The car just drove normally with those tires. I couldn't get them to lose grip on the ice.

A few weeks later when we got a good quick snowfall I got out in it before the plows came and had no trouble until I hit drifts about 6" deep. I have an xDrive that's been moderately lowered so I was impressed. The tires were really solid in fairly deep snow.

During my research on winter tires I was impressed with the Blizzak WS90. They are more noisy but from what I read they would be perfect if I lived in the mountains and dealt with more frequent, heavier snow on unplowed roads. Not needed for where I am near Philadelphia.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 09:11 PM   #10
F30Manolis
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

26.3" 235/45-18 MPS4S
25.7" 245/40-18 MPS4S

Hope this helps!
Actually the summer Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires are amazing in the rain. I have to remind myself to slow down when it's raining because the tires act like it's dry pavement. I've had similar experience with the Michelin X-Ice SNOW tires.

They actually shocked me the first time that I drove them on black ice. It was during morning rush hour and temps were in the 20's. I was stuck in the middle of traffic on a three lane highway. Cars were just spinning their drive wheels whether they had FWD or RWD. It was so bad that people got out to help each other push their cars off the road. As soon as a couple cars were pushed out of my way, I just drove around the rest on the ice as if it was dry. I went immediately to the empty shopping center parking lot across the street to do donuts on the ice. The car just drove normally with those tires. I couldn't get them to lose grip on the ice.

A few weeks later when we got a good quick snowfall I got out in it before the plows came and had no trouble until I hit drifts about 6" deep. I have an xDrive that's been moderately lowered so I was impressed. The tires were really solid in fairly deep snow.

During my research on winter tires I was impressed with the Blizzak WS90. They are more noisy but from what I read they would be perfect if I lived in the mountains and dealt with more frequent, heavier snow on unplowed roads. Not needed for where I am near Philadelphia.

Hope this helps!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

26.3" 235/45-18 MPS4S
25.7" 245/40-18 MPS4S

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!
So I ended up going with the 245/40/18s all around. Just out of curiosity what tire pressure do you run?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 12:12 AM   #11
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

26.3" 235/45-18 MPS4S
25.7" 245/40-18 MPS4S

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

26.3" 235/45-18 MPS4S
25.7" 245/40-18 MPS4S

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!
So I ended up going with the 245/40/18s all around. Just out of curiosity what tire pressure do you run?
F32/R35 cold pressures which I watch and adjust as needed
Appreciate 0