F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Suspension options/alternatives on "Sport" models.
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-16-2013, 03:52 AM   #1
DaveA
Lieutenant Colonel
DaveA's Avatar
United Kingdom
435
Rep
1,570
Posts

Drives: VW Golf GTI Performance
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Teesside

iTrader: (0)

Question Suspension options/alternatives on "Sport" models.

I have been looking at the Configurator for the "sport" models (it will be time to think about changing in a few month's time).

Looking at the available specification options for the "Sport" models, it looks like I have three alternatives for the suspension:

a) Go with the standard adaptive suspension with its "comfort" and "sport" modes (I have this on my current car)

b) Specify "M Sport suspension" (+315)

c) Specify "Adaptive M Sport suspension" (+750)

If I ordered either b) or c), instead of a), I was wondering what might I expect the differences would be terms of ride height/quality/adaptability etc?

My apologies in advance if this topic is already covered elsewhere. If so, a pointer to the correct thread would be most appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 04:15 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
3787
Rep
11,884
Posts

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAL View Post
I have been looking at the Configurator for the "sport" models (it will be time to think about changing in a few month's time).

Looking at the available specification options for the "Sport" models, it looks like I have three alternatives for the suspension:

a) Go with the standard adaptive suspension with its "comfort" and "sport" modes (I have this on my current car)

b) Specify "M Sport suspension" (+315)

c) Specify "Adaptive M Sport suspension" (+750)

If I ordered either b) or c), instead of a), I was wondering what might I expect the differences would be terms of ride height/quality/adaptability etc?

My apologies in advance if this topic is already covered elsewhere. If so, a pointer to the correct thread would be most appreciated.
If you are meaning specifically the suspension, then your current passive setup doesn't have modes, neither will the M-Sport suspension, which again is a passive setup, but lower (10mm) and firmer suspension. Only the Adaptive M-Sport suspension is active with two base modes, comfort and sport, and it shares the same ride height as the M-Sport system.

With passive suspensions, 'modes' are for adjusting steering, throttle and with autos the gearbox characteristics.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
NISFAN
Major General
NISFAN's Avatar
United Kingdom
2477
Rep
8,878
Posts

Drives: The best kind of F30 :)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bedford UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAL View Post
I have been looking at the Configurator for the "sport" models (it will be time to think about changing in a few month's time).

Looking at the available specification options for the "Sport" models, it looks like I have three alternatives for the suspension:

a) Go with the standard adaptive suspension with its "comfort" and "sport" modes (I have this on my current car)

b) Specify "M Sport suspension" (+315)

c) Specify "Adaptive M Sport suspension" (+750)

If I ordered either b) or c), instead of a), I was wondering what might I expect the differences would be terms of ride height/quality/adaptability etc?

My apologies in advance if this topic is already covered elsewhere. If so, a pointer to the correct thread would be most appreciated.
Hi, I'm a little confused....you have an f30 Sport now? Or another make of car that has adaptive?

As far as I know, there are only 3 options on a Sport:
  1. Standard - Same as SE,Luxury, Modern, etc. Considered soft (Not adaptive)
  2. M Sport (Passive) - Lowers car 10mm, slightly stiffer than above but by no means harsh
  3. M Sport Adaptive - Lowers car 10mm and gives two settings depending on driver mode selection.

My preference is 2

Can I ask why you would choose Sport and not M Sport?

EDIT : D'Oh: beaten to it
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
DaveA
Lieutenant Colonel
DaveA's Avatar
United Kingdom
435
Rep
1,570
Posts

Drives: VW Golf GTI Performance
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Teesside

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
If you are meaning specifically the suspension, then your current passive setup doesn't have modes, neither will the M-Sport suspension, which again is a passive setup, but lower (10mm) and firmer suspension. Only the Adaptive M-Sport suspension is active with two base modes, comfort and sport, and it shares the same ride height as the M-Sport system.

With passive suspensions, 'modes' are for adjusting steering, throttle and with autos the gearbox characteristics.

HighlandPete
Thanks for clearing that up.. Appreciated..

But, well, maybe it's just me being a little dim, but I could have sworn that in my standard "Sport" car, now, the damping changes when you switch it into sport mode..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
DaveA
Lieutenant Colonel
DaveA's Avatar
United Kingdom
435
Rep
1,570
Posts

Drives: VW Golf GTI Performance
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Teesside

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Hi, I'm a little confused....you have an f30 Sport now? Or another make of car that has adaptive?

As far as I know, there are only 3 options on a Sport:
  1. Standard - Same as SE,Luxury, Modern, etc. Considered soft (Not adaptive)
  2. M Sport (Passive) - Lowers car 10mm, slightly stiffer than above but by no means harsh
  3. M Sport Adaptive - Lowers car 10mm and gives two settings depending on driver mode selection.

My preference is 2

Can I ask why you would choose Sport and not M Sport?

EDIT : D'Oh: beaten to it
Thanks for the clarifications on the various options...

Yes, I have a "sport" model now with the standard suspension... It must be just a perception, but I could have sworn that the damping becomes firmer on my car when the "sport" and "sport plus" modes are engaged..

I am asking as I would chose an F30 again, but would need a firmer/lower ride and suspension set up.. sounds like regardless of what trim level I chose, I will be going for M Sport or M Sport Adaptive next time.. just need to decide which... test drives required now, I think...

Me, personally, I would chose a "Sport" model over an "M Sport" for styling reasons, I think.. I have considered the "M Sport" model but I'm not convinced by the heavy front styling (IMO) nor the steering wheel and interior trim choices... Also, I would specify different options for the differences in price..

I guess if we all liked the same things, the world would be a dull place..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
NISFAN
Major General
NISFAN's Avatar
United Kingdom
2477
Rep
8,878
Posts

Drives: The best kind of F30 :)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bedford UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveAL View Post
Thanks for the clarifications on the various options...

Yes, I have a "sport" model now with the standard suspension... It must be just a perception, but I could have sworn that the damping becomes firmer on my car when the "sport" and "sport plus" modes are engaged..

I am asking as I would chose an F30 again, but would need a firmer/lower ride and suspension set up.. sounds like regardless of what trim level I chose, I will be going for M Sport or M Sport Adaptive next time.. just need to decide which... test drives required now, I think...

Me, personally, I would chose a "Sport" model over an "M Sport" for styling reasons, I think.. I have considered the "M Sport" model but I'm not convinced by the heavy front styling (IMO) nor the steering wheel and interior trim choices... Also, I would specify different options for the differences in price..

I guess if we all liked the same things, the world would be a dull place..
Fair enough

Easy enough to see if you have adaptive suspension, park on a bump so that the rear end is higher off the ground, and look at the rear dampers. If they have this attachment pointing rearwards, then you have adaptive.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
adaptive m sport suspension, m sport 3 series f30, m sport suspension, suspension

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST