F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > NH Emission testing with either catless DP or high flow cat?
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-12-2019, 11:43 AM   #1
chhappy7
Lieutenant
chhappy7's Avatar
97
Rep
464
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Hanover, NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 328i  [0.00]
NH Emission testing with either catless DP or high flow cat?

Hey guys!

So I've been trying to find something specific to NH emission testing, but all threads I came across have been for MA or surrounding NE states.
So for NH emission, I'm assuming it's just OBD readiness as well?
I read some states allow one or two not ready and some people with catless/high flow cat downpipes have passed without putting their stock ones on.
But does anyone have experience with this while dealing with actual NH annual inspection?

Thank you!
__________________
2015 328i - M3 style front bumper/fender/side skirt, M Sport rear bumper/diffuser, M Performance brakes in yellow, M Performance exhaust, ceramic iDrive control, LCI radio trim

Check out my YouTube channel
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
F3rst0rder
Private First Class
75
Rep
171
Posts

Drives: 2015 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
Hey guys!

So I've been trying to find something specific to NH emission testing, but all threads I came across have been for MA or surrounding NE states.
So for NH emission, I'm assuming it's just OBD readiness as well?
I read some states allow one or two not ready and some people with catless/high flow cat downpipes have passed without putting their stock ones on.
But does anyone have experience with this while dealing with actual NH annual inspection?

Thank you!
Cel on is a failed NH state inspection. They give you a clear sticker if it fails. You can also have the dealership doing inspection clear code and return after x amount of miles to see if light comes back on. No smog in NH. Thatís how I remember inspections going when I worked for a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 02:10 AM   #3
chhappy7
Lieutenant
chhappy7's Avatar
97
Rep
464
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Hanover, NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3rst0rder View Post
Cel on is a failed NH state inspection. They give you a clear sticker if it fails. You can also have the dealership doing inspection clear code and return after x amount of miles to see if light comes back on. No smog in NH. Thatís how I remember inspections going when I worked for a dealer.
Thanks for the info!
Do you know if one can still pass the test with a flash tune that suppresses CEL from no DP?
__________________
2015 328i - M3 style front bumper/fender/side skirt, M Sport rear bumper/diffuser, M Performance brakes in yellow, M Performance exhaust, ceramic iDrive control, LCI radio trim

Check out my YouTube channel
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #4
F3rst0rder
Private First Class
75
Rep
171
Posts

Drives: 2015 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chhappy7 View Post
Thanks for the info!
Do you know if one can still pass the test with a flash tune that suppresses CEL from no DP?
That I donít know. Iíve seen the car get plugged in but never have seen the report on what the scan reads.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
RbBugBitMe
New Member
RbBugBitMe's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i xDrive sedan
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Nashua, NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Interesting. I've been told I won't pass and I'm scheduled for inspection on Tuesday. I don't have a CEL with an MHD stage 2+ and an unknown brand catless DP.
__________________
-Ryan M
'14 Estoril Blue M-Sport 335i xDrive
Shock designer for the GTD Champion 2014 Turner Motorsport Z4
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 02:30 AM   #6
chhappy7
Lieutenant
chhappy7's Avatar
97
Rep
464
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Hanover, NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbBugBitMe View Post
Interesting. I've been told I won't pass and I'm scheduled for inspection on Tuesday. I don't have a CEL with an MHD stage 2+ and an unknown brand catless DP.
Keep us (or I guess just me?) updated on how it goes!
__________________
2015 328i - M3 style front bumper/fender/side skirt, M Sport rear bumper/diffuser, M Performance brakes in yellow, M Performance exhaust, ceramic iDrive control, LCI radio trim

Check out my YouTube channel
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:42 PM   #7
RbBugBitMe
New Member
RbBugBitMe's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i xDrive sedan
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Nashua, NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The guy said the sniffer failed me before he could put it in the pipe.
I got the engine to full temp beforehand too so that did nothing. If it was a sure thing I'd try to run some e85 but until that can be confirmed I'm going to work on replacing the downpipe with a high flow catted one.
__________________
-Ryan M
'14 Estoril Blue M-Sport 335i xDrive
Shock designer for the GTD Champion 2014 Turner Motorsport Z4
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 08:17 PM   #8
F3rst0rder
Private First Class
75
Rep
171
Posts

Drives: 2015 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbBugBitMe View Post
The guy said the sniffer failed me before he could put it in the pipe.
I got the engine to full temp beforehand too so that did nothing. If it was a sure thing I'd try to run some e85 but until that can be confirmed I'm going to work on replacing the downpipe with a high flow catted one.
What sniffer. NH doesnít do smog
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 08:18 PM   #9
F3rst0rder
Private First Class
75
Rep
171
Posts

Drives: 2015 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

I’d go to a different shop
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 08:19 PM   #10
F3rst0rder
Private First Class
75
Rep
171
Posts

Drives: 2015 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

I’ll see how it goes with my car. I’ve got downpipe install coming and I need a sticker this month
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 03:56 PM   #11
chhappy7
Lieutenant
chhappy7's Avatar
97
Rep
464
Posts

Drives: 2015 328i
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Hanover, NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3rst0rder View Post
I'll see how it goes with my car. I've got downpipe install coming and I need a sticker this month
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbBugBitMe View Post
The guy said the sniffer failed me before he could put it in the pipe.
I got the engine to full temp beforehand too so that did nothing. If it was a sure thing I'd try to run some e85 but until that can be confirmed I'm going to work on replacing the downpipe with a high flow catted one.
thanks for the update guys!
Looking forward to how it turns out!!
__________________
2015 328i - M3 style front bumper/fender/side skirt, M Sport rear bumper/diffuser, M Performance brakes in yellow, M Performance exhaust, ceramic iDrive control, LCI radio trim

Check out my YouTube channel
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 07:22 PM   #12
F3rst0rder
Private First Class
75
Rep
171
Posts

Drives: 2015 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

I still don’t quite understand the use of the sniffer. Did you maybe go to a “border” shop that tests Mass and NH thus attempting to treat both states as smog states?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #13
Logicoeur
Major
Logicoeur's Avatar
387
Rep
1,038
Posts

Drives: F30 335i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3rst0rder View Post
I still don't quite understand the use of the sniffer. Did you maybe go to a "border" shop that tests Mass and NH thus attempting to treat both states as smog states?
Ma doesn't use a sniffer.
__________________
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | 18X9 ET32 19lb TR-1 255/40/18 | MPerf LSD
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 07:09 PM   #14
F3rst0rder
Private First Class
75
Rep
171
Posts

Drives: 2015 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Ma doesn't use a sniffer.
So then I really have no idea why this place used one
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 07:33 PM   #15
Logicoeur
Major
Logicoeur's Avatar
387
Rep
1,038
Posts

Drives: F30 335i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3rst0rder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Ma doesn't use a sniffer.
So then I really have no idea why this place used one
Theyre not required to use it here, but if the inspector suspects tampering/mods they have the right to use it to cover their own asses. They could lose their license if it comes back to them.
__________________
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | 18X9 ET32 19lb TR-1 255/40/18 | MPerf LSD
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #16
RbBugBitMe
New Member
RbBugBitMe's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i xDrive sedan
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Nashua, NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
They didn't sniff. The guy just misspoke I guess. Passed with catted high flow and tune. They just confirm it has a cat and no CEL.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 09:20 AM   #17
Derekrpd
Private
33
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Xdrive
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Reading, Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)



Congratulations on the pass. Do you still not know what brand DP you're running? It would be nice to know for the rest of us. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 09:21 AM   #18
RbBugBitMe
New Member
RbBugBitMe's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i xDrive sedan
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Nashua, NH

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
It was a VRSF open pipe. Now ER catted.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #19
Logicoeur
Major
Logicoeur's Avatar
387
Rep
1,038
Posts

Drives: F30 335i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbBugBitMe View Post
It was a VRSF open pipe. Now ER catted.
If you have the printout and what your reader shows for readiness it would help. Was your readiness showing READY, UNAVAILABLE, NOT READY....?
__________________
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | 18X9 ET32 19lb TR-1 255/40/18 | MPerf LSD
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST