F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Interesting Dealer interaction
Extreme Powerhouse

01-15-2020, 03:17 PM   #1
scottmoyer
In the garage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

Interesting Dealer interaction

I've been looking at getting out of the BMW and getting back into a truck. I've had a truck since 2001, and started back in a car in 2017 due to work travel.

So I went the local dealer to look at trucks and had them do an appraisal on the 435i. I was shocked at what they offered me for a trade towards a $55k vehicle. They offered me $17,600! What a joke. I told them that a standard 435i Coupe with M Sport and Nav has a clean black book trade in at $25,000. I said that's about 54% off the original MSRP. My car, having the ZHP package, had an MSRP of about $64000. With that, I said the same formula should give a trade in of about $30k.

Now, I know some will say that there's no value in the mods, but the ZHP does offer a performance upgrade over a standard 435i. Historically, performance options from the factory do provide for a higher value. The car is also one of only 100 produced, so there is the limited availability factor.

Where this entire thing gets crazy, is the offer was made by the sister store, a BMW dealership. All local BMW dealers within 50 mile radius (four I think) are all owned by the same dealership. The truck dealership is also theirs. The salesman came to me and said that he knew when I bought the car, what I paid for it, etc, so he wasn't willing to move off his price.

This goes to show that dealership monopolies are bad! I will just shop another dealership for the truck, and hope they don't call the BMW dealer for a price.

I was surprised at the trade in price being offered on a 2016 435i that's fully loaded. At least the retail value is still greater than $30k.
      01-15-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Car is worth about $21,000 as a trade in - assuming it has no damage and has normal miles of around 45k.
Attached Images

01-15-2020, 03:43 PM   #3
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmoyer View Post
I've been looking at getting out of the BMW and getting back into a truck. I've had a truck since 2001, and started back in a car in 2017 due to work travel.

So I went the local dealer to look at trucks and had them do an appraisal on the 435i. I was shocked at what they offered me for a trade towards a $55k vehicle. They offered me $17,600! What a joke. I told them that a standard 435i Coupe with M Sport and Nav has a clean black book trade in at $25,000. I said that's about 54% off the original MSRP. My car, having the ZHP package, had an MSRP of about $64000. With that, I said the same formula should give a trade in of about $30k.

Now, I know some will say that there's no value in the mods, but the ZHP does offer a performance upgrade over a standard 435i. Historically, performance options from the factory do provide for a higher value. The car is also one of only 100 produced, so there is the limited availability factor.

Where this entire thing gets crazy, is the offer was made by the sister store, a BMW dealership. All local BMW dealers within 50 mile radius (four I think) are all owned by the same dealership. The truck dealership is also theirs. The salesman came to me and said that he knew when I bought the car, what I paid for it, etc, so he wasn't willing to move off his price.

This goes to show that dealership monopolies are bad! I will just shop another dealership for the truck, and hope they don't call the BMW dealer for a price.

I was surprised at the trade in price being offered on a 2016 435i that's fully loaded. At least the retail value is still greater than $30k.
Your trade in is nowhere near 30k or even 25k. 17k probably represents a reasonable starting point in their mind to come up to 20 or 21k assuming the vehicle is in good condition and decent miles.

I have a 2015 335i M Sport, trade in on it is about 16 or 17k I'd assume. Without looking it up, I'd peg yours at 21-22k assuming decent miles.

edit: see above from Run Silent
Run Silent15127.00
      01-15-2020, 03:52 PM   #4
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

Yup... this is why I keep my cars longer. Damn... I for one don't want throwing money around.
Appreciate 1
Danddd74.50
      01-15-2020, 04:27 PM   #5
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Sadly, just because we as enthusiasts appreciate a nice coupe and the performance options, that isn't where the market is going. Cars are selling less, and performance cars even more so. The market just doesn't support a higher value for the car.

Quote:
From my experience in trading in cars, the dealerships rarely keep them on hand for re-sale. More often they derive their trade in values from used car auction results of a similar car or even brokers tied to the auctions who buy up their inventory of trade-ins.

When we last traded in my wife's car, the dealership polled 3~4 brokers they dealt with and based the trade in value on the best offer they received.
      01-15-2020, 04:41 PM   #6
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

You're not going to get special money for a special car from any type of trade in transaction. Your car will sell fast if you price it appropriately to its mileage and condition. Reasonable that your car is more valueable than an otherwise identical non ZHP car. This is true for when you bought it, when you sell it, and when the next owner goes to sell it. How much more? That can vary widely.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 04:48 PM   #7
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
You'll never get what you expect to get on a trade-in. Sell the car yourself if you really want to get rid of it and get a decent price.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 05:10 PM   #8
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
You'll never get what you expect to get on a trade-in. Sell the car yourself if you really want to get rid of it and get a decent price.
I believe on this, I did try to sell my 13 civic si before trading it in for my current 2016 F36, I was selling it for the upper side of the KKB value then I was looking at the F36 at the dealer and kinda want it but I told myself that depend on how much trade value they give me. Then the sales rep came back and got me a decent number trade value for my civic about $1000 less than what I have listed at craigslist... then i tried easing the used car manager to give more... I succeeded he raise the offer about $1500 and I said deal.

For short I didn't lost money on my 13 civic si, I probably got more.... but the civic si is one reliable car. And it's not a BMW with crazy options value that basically worth shit when it's time to resell the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 06:07 PM   #9
scottmoyer
In the garage
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP

Well, I need to get me access to this MMR pricing guide. It's very obvious that NADA, Kelly Blue Book and even Black Book pricing is bogus these days. It appears the dealerships are living up to their reputation of being stealerships. There was no negotiation on what they offered me and I know for a fact that they'd list the car for top dollar. I just checked their website and they're asking $26k and $27k for 2016 428i. I found other dealers with 428s priced up to $31k. I had to go outside my area to find 435s, but I found them with asking prices in the upper 20s to low 30s.

Based on this new info, I feel I have learned the "new" way dealers work. I used to be on top of these things but haven't traded in a vehicle since 2003. It is definitely robbery for a dealer to offer $17k and then expect to ask $30k or more for the car. I really have no idea what they'd ask for my car, but seeing the base 428 priced in the mid to upper $20k range tells me they'd ask similar, if not more.

You used to have three price options, Wholesale, trade-in and retail. There is no trade-in anymore as the salesman mentioned many times that it doesn't make sense for him to pay more for my car than he can get it for at the auction. It seems the auction is all the dealers work with anymore. The general consumer doesn't have access to the auction to buy the cars at great prices, so if you want out of your car, it's a take it or leave it option, and only the dealers win.
      01-15-2020, 09:31 PM   #10
munu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 Msports

Quote:

If you are talking about Fields BMW, I had the same experience couple of years back. For my 2007 e90 they offered me $3000. I sold it year later for $10,000 on Craigslist.
      01-16-2020, 02:00 AM   #11
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:

That's a bummer.

If you want to get top dollar, you will need to sell it yourself. The true value of your car is the price you sell it for on the day you sell it.

You have a sweet ride. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:00 AM   #12
mujjuman
Old Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black

Never trade in a car. You won't get the real value for what it's worth
      01-16-2020, 03:54 PM   #13
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
Big BUT .... there is always a car that will never sell either no matter what you do... only thing to do is trade it in

Last edited by Gen13 F36; 01-16-2020 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2020, 03:57 PM   #14
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
True, but to get the cars real worth would mean the dealership would make no money off the deal or maybe even take a loss.

When they take in your car as a trade, they have to do something with that vehicle and their options are to resell it on their lot (rarely happens) or sell it off at auction. Either way, they need to make money off that transaction. Dealership profit centers are not the new car sales, it's used car sales and service. They wouldn't exist if they couldn't make a profit, or worse take a loss.
      01-16-2020, 04:07 PM   #15
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I don't know Florida's law but I wonder whose data that was at the BMW dealership? Did they violate the law by giving the truck company (a separate legal entity I am sure) your data? Do you have a right to sue them for that violation (if it is one)?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 05:13 PM   #16
Overdraft
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 F33 x drive

Dealers are not enthusiasts...and will not pay up for anything unless it is a limited edition car that focuses to a (very) narrow market...which despite what we think of our cars..are rare cars indeed. With that said, I have found them to by and large pay in the end with a proper negotiation what the car is worth after tax credits, repairs/ maintenance and discounting on the car being purchased/ financing et al.. I am not crazy about marketing a car myself and some of the potential ‘buyers’ we invite to our homes and drive our cars...
2018 Porsche GT3 Touring
2021 Porsche Targa 4S
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2020, 07:35 PM   #17
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdraft View Post
I am not crazy about marketing a car myself and some of the potential ‘buyers’ we invite to our homes and drive our cars...
Plus the sales tax advantage in many states.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2020, 07:36 PM   #18
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdraft View Post
I am not crazy about marketing a car myself and some of the potential ‘buyers’ we invite to our homes and drive our cars...
Selling one's own car is clearly not for everyone - dealing with John (or Jane) Q. Public successfully requires one to have some basic people smarts, a good 'bullshit meter' and be willing to simply recognize there are more than a few 'tire kickers' out there - want an education on selling your own car?....just walk into any retail store and observe a couple of your fellow human beings as they go about shopping/interacting with the sales staff, cashiers, etc., it can be a very eye-opening experience on many levels.

I'm good with buying cars from private sellers, and selling my cars to the public, but I would NEVER entertain being on a car lot doing this all day long - absolutely NO THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 07:54 PM   #19
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Try selling you car to carmax. They're offer are in the high side.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:00 PM   #20
lemonchicken
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i blue

You could have easily already sold the car on this very forum for more money and less posts. They’re called “stealerships” for a reason. Is anybody really still shocked that a dealership isn’t going to give them a legit straight deal?? Especially in trade ins, that’s like their bread, butter and delicious jelly all in one transaction for them.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 11:08 PM   #21
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Ha, that's nothing..... last summer I went to Porsche to test drive a 981 Cayman just looking at this point...salesman asked if I wanted to know what they'd give me for my 1992 NSX...sure why not? Knowing they'd never come close to what I would want for it ....so they took a bunch of pics and sent it to their "specialist" who prices cars like a classic NSX.

So a few days go by and they finally get back to me and the salesman, who was cool guy btw, said he was too embarrassed to call me and tell me what they would offer for trade in value.... he says $15,500 ?... I was expecting low, but not embarrassingly low

I kindly laughed and said I think I'll sell it on my own...thanks!

few months later I put it up for sale for $43,000 and got $42,000 after posting it on nsxprime .....took less then two days.

NEVER trade in a car, unless it's a beater and don't care about a few hundred bucks.
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2020, 11:20 PM   #22
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
Ha, that's nothing..... last summer I went to Porsche to test drive a 981 Cayman just looking at this point...salesman asked if I wanted to know what they'd give me for my 1992 NSX...sure why not? Knowing they'd never come close to what I would want for it ....so they took a bunch of pics and sent it to their "specialist" who prices cars like a classic NSX.

So a few days go by and they finally get back to me and the salesman, who was cool guy btw, said he was too embarrassed to call me and tell me what they would offer for trade in value.... he says $15,500 ?... I was expecting low, but not embarrassingly low

I kindly laughed and said I think I'll sell it on my own...thanks!

few months later I put it up for sale for $43,000 and got $42,000 after posting it on nsxprime .....took less then two days.

NEVER trade in a car, unless it's a beater and don't care about a few hundred bucks.
Hahaha... good one

It's a NSX

You could sell it later down the road for more
Appreciate 0