F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Anyone with comfort access?
Studio RSR

06-03-2018, 03:58 AM   #23
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37psi View Post
. Also folks don't forget to remove your lock and get a blanking plate. Lock smashing, picking drills etc. are another way in to the car.
So that when your fob battery goes or your lock freezes you are completely stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
I’ve just tested our Comfort Access and key distance. Anything outside of about 1 meter and the locks will not operate and then unless the key is physically in the car, it will not start. I even laid the keys on the floor right under the driver’s door and nothing.
Surely then, to get any signal, the scrotes would have to get their equipment with 1 meter of the keys in my house to even unlock the car?!
Have you seen the size of the kit they use? Believe what you read here, and the booster kit could pick up a key from the moon.

Last edited by Nobby Clark; 06-03-2018 at 05:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 04:00 AM   #24
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
I’ve just tested our Comfort Access and key distance. Anything outside of about 1 meter and the locks will not operate and then unless the key is physically in the car, it will not start. I even laid the keys on the floor right under the driver’s door and nothing.
Surely then, to get any signal, the scrotes would have to get their equipment with 1 meter of the keys in my house to even unlock the car?!
Maybe the signal from the equipment is so powerful that it can still pick up the signal being sent out from the key fob which could be several meters away in your house.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      06-03-2018, 06:11 AM   #25
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
There are two pieces of equipment used involving two people. The scanner/amplifier scans the house to pick up the key signal. This is determined by the strength of that equipment not your key. This signal is then 'relayed' to someone standing by the car. The car opens because the signal is next to the car. They get in and use the same signal to start it.

It doesn't matter what test you do with the key.

See its article that's says some equipment can pick up the signal from 100 metres away.
https://www.contracthireandleasing.c...-you-avoid-it/

Last edited by sensible; 06-03-2018 at 06:17 AM..
Appreciate 1
Malone289.50
      06-03-2018, 11:02 AM   #26
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
There are two pieces of equipment used involving two people. The scanner/amplifier scans the house to pick up the key signal. This is determined by the strength of that equipment not your key. This signal is then 'relayed' to someone standing by the car. The car opens because the signal is next to the car. They get in and use the same signal to start it.

It doesn't matter what test you do with the key.

See its article that's says some equipment can pick up the signal from 100 metres away.
https://www.contracthireandleasing.c...-you-avoid-it/
If it can pick up the signal from 100m away, thieves wouldn’t risk skulking round houses at night. They’d simply walk up to a car in a car park that has just been parked and wait for the driver to walk away and then open the car.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      06-03-2018, 11:35 AM   #27
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
If it can pick up the signal from 100m away, thieves wouldn’t risk skulking round houses at night. They’d simply walk up to a car in a car park that has just been parked and wait for the driver to walk away and then open the car.
Firstly, the article says some devices can pick up a signal from 100m away, so I suspect the cheaper ones have less of a range so you need to get closer to a house, particularly when scanning through walls etc.

However, the point I am making is that your tests with your key are pointless. Just because your key ha's a one metre range doesn't mean a scanner couldn't pick it up at a range of more than one metre.

Last edited by sensible; 06-04-2018 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 12:19 PM   #28
robwils
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Just press the lock button on the key fob twice. The indicator lights flash 4 times (as opposed to the normal 3)
Test it by just walking up to the car with the key in your pocket and try to open it like you normally would, the door won’t open.

I don’t read the manual either, the salesman told me this one on the handover.
Worked on the GLC, so simple, why cant BMW do that?
      06-03-2018, 05:13 PM   #29
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwils View Post
Indeed!

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #30
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwils View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Just press the lock button on the key fob twice. The indicator lights flash 4 times (as opposed to the normal 3)
Test it by just walking up to the car with the key in your pocket and try to open it like you normally would, the door won't open.

I don't read the manual either, the salesman told me this one on the handover.
At the time it probably sounded like a good idea but with the roll jam attack all a thief needs is two commands - lock and unlock. With the owner having pressed lock twice there is no need for a roll jam as a sniffer will suffice. In other words, the thief has recorded two lock commands and is only missing the unlock command. His or her life has been made easier. Now whether this means that the key also deactivates is a separate issue. However, it sounds like the comfort access is deactivated. If the key was still active (which it most likely is being a comfort access key) then a booster could still be used to send an unlock command from the key to the car.

Solution? Faraday bag.

Manufacturers solution? Comfort access keys need to time out rather than always be on. May be a button sequence could help by turning the key off until next use required - or a simple off switch. Lazy owners would complain though. It would be a matter of time before someone forgot to turn the key off and insurance problems would arise. The locking systems also need a higher bit encryption. BMW's hi-tag system has around 48 codes. 128-256 bit end to end encryption is required with full use of the millions of combinations. A 256 bit encryption would take more than 21 years to decrypt. Think of RSA tokens if you have ever logged on to a secure server. The RSA key is an added layer of security. With one RSA key (the one with LCD) reader costing upwards of 800 imagine losing a key. Manufacturers should have this as an installation option for the security minded. Without a physical RSA key present and the code could not be entered or scanned. Scanning would be nice to save destroying radio preset buttons. People who own a Ghost already enter a pin sequence anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 02:43 AM   #31
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
What about an old sweet tin? £4 when full and you get to eat the sweets. Win Win.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      06-04-2018, 02:51 AM   #32
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
The receiver/transmitter in the relay kit is a great deal more sensitive/powerful than those in your car and key, hence the much greater range.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #33
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
What about an old sweet tin? £4 when full and you get to eat the sweets. Win Win.
Try it to make sure. I initially put the wife's Renault key in an M&M tin. I took it out to the car and the car opened. I then tried a Worther's Original tin and that one worked. No idea why one worked and the other didn't.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13347.00
      06-05-2018, 02:00 AM   #34
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
Try it to make sure. I initially put the wife's Renault key in an M&M tin. I took it out to the car and the car opened. I then tried a Worther's Original tin and that one worked. No idea why one worked and the other didn't.
Good old Werthers
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0