F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Custom ambient light module with multiple colors
Extreme Powerhouse
View Poll Results: Would be interested in buying this as plug & play kit?
Yes 80 95.24%
No 4 4.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

06-02-2021, 02:12 AM   #23
F32Maniac
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Coupe

cozzzz Did you end up deciding to sell these? Im an interested buyer
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 04:51 AM   #24
cozzzz
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Maniac View Post
cozzzz Did you end up deciding to sell these? Im an interested buyer
Yes, I'm working on building some kits for sale. I was thinking of using something like ebay or amazon for handling payment and hopefully shipping, but we'll see.

Atm I'm almost done with designing circuits for the control and led module pcbs, so I can have them properly fabricated. I don't have an eta for now, but I'll give some updates after the first important milestone, like building the first kit for example.
Appreciate 5
      06-02-2021, 06:20 AM   #25
F32Maniac
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzzz View Post
Yes, I'm working on building some kits for sale. I was thinking of using something like ebay or amazon for handling payment and hopefully shipping, but we'll see.

Atm I'm almost done with designing circuits for the control and led module pcbs, so I can have them properly fabricated. I don't have an eta for now, but I'll give some updates after the first important milestone, like building the first kit for example.
I'll be eagerly waiting. I dont mind sending money through bank transfer, waiting for amazon or EBay would take a while. Even if its in a somewhat "rough state" and not exactly commercial-looking, I dont mind buying. Literally as long as it works I'm down to instabuy

Amazing work my man, definitely push to commercialize and patent!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 12:47 PM   #26
steveindabmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Xdrive M-Sport

Totally sub'd to this thread cause that looks great
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 06:27 PM   #27
f30baik
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: F30 B48

Quote:
I uploaded a quick video showing how the colors are changed and also showing the ambient lights turning on/off together with the car's lighting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0z1nVmANB4

I made an album with more photos as well, so I don't flood this post with large images:
View post on imgur.com

Note that the photos with the footwell lights are made with a different phone so they look a bit different. Also I think these are a bit too bright and might need some dimming, as I can see my legs more than I want when driving at night

Really liking this light blue
thats cool, mine still using factory ambient light which they called "sport" and "classic"
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 06:18 PM   #28
scoobysmak
Rep
Drives: BMW 328 D

I like the look of this and gives you options. On that note I only recently got my car (US) 2017 328D Msport. What/if anything does the car need to have from the factory for this to work? I don't remember seeing any ambient lighting similar to this in the car but maybe I just never turned it on.

As a note I did vote yes in the poll.

Last edited by scoobysmak; 06-10-2021 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 04:05 AM   #29
cozzzz
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysmak View Post
I like the look of this and gives you options. On that note I only recently got my car (US) 2017 328D Msport. What/if anything does the car need to have from the factory for this to work? I don't remember seeing any ambient lighting similar to this in the car but maybe I just never turned it on.

As a note I did vote yes in the poll.
The car needs to have the ambient lights with orange/white color options. Check the Lighting menu in iDrive to see if you have Classic/Sport or Classic/Modern options, similar to
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 11:20 PM   #30
E92_James
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i | 2020 X3 X30i

Garage List
2019 F36 440i  [0.00]
Is there any update on the plug and play kits?
      03-13-2022, 04:16 PM   #31
carsforlife
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

update?

Quote:

Any updates for the kits, like a time where they could be available for sale and if they'll be available world wide cause I'm really interested
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2022, 09:01 AM   #32
Hypermile
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d xDrive M-S M-P

OP: I will be more than happy to pay you for a P&P kit

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 12:49 PM   #33
Dazza1shot
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335D

I need this in my life as a plug and play your design looks awesome
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 04:32 PM   #34
DXG
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 430i

+1 interested about these
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2022, 04:08 AM   #35
haarreh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

For those who stumble on this thread and decide you don’t want to go down this route, the German company Benzinfabrik sells a module you can use to replace the LED Emitter used in the door’s light tube (yes, it’s a single LED that’s emitted down the tube). You would need 4 in total, one for each door, with several bi color options (switchable only between 2 options I believe using iDrive Classic/Sport options). The original BMW color is Orange 605. I personally will be going for the Blue/Orange605 combo as the white isn’t super appealing to me.. but as of date that combo is only released for the door so far!

Also, to note, these emitters work really well on black interior!

Here is the LED light emitter for door (comes in single, will have to buy 4 of them)
https://www.benzinfabrik.com/de/led-...number=B803813
€08.95 * 4 = €35.80
+ €15.00 shipping
Total €50.80 = US $54.92

Here is the LED emitter for climate area (will need to buy 2 of them)
https://www.benzinfabrik.com/de/bran...number=B803855
If you have this part already installed, Great! My car doesn’t come with it, so i’ll have to order this OEM part:
and use the following post, which is only for those that have the lighting package!! 563
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1165755

There is also the LED emitter for the footwell (have to buy 2 of them), parts 63319219492 or 63319242161
https://www.benzinfabrik.com/de/led-...uer-bmw?c=7367

Finally, if you want to brighten your door entry exit lights, there’s 2 part numbers with very different looking LEDS and i’m very confused between them. I believe the fitting might be similar and the difference is one is colored the other is 5800k, but that’s assumptions. I THINK (not sure) that the lighting package vehicles have 6 of these and normal only have 2 based off the quantity value on RealOEM.
Part: 7941911 Pure White LED Exit Light
Part: 9270505 Warm White LED Exit same as
Part: 9313574 Cold White LED Exit

You can also look at ideas other people did, use more modules and side glow 3mm optic fibre to expand the lighting like this person:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1891215

more instructions on installing:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1769120
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2022, 10:58 AM   #36
salish
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M50D

Hi, is there a DIY available for this mod...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2022, 05:12 PM   #37
iMattphew
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
I wanted to upgrade the ambient lights on my f30 LCI, so I started looking for options to increase both brightness and color options if possible. I like everything to look as oem as possible, so I didn’t want to use kits with rgb strips/flexible light pipes over the trim, or to replace the door trims with ones that have rgb strips beneath them. For a while I considered replacing the led modules only, with the ones from benzinfabrik, but I eventually gave up on this due to things like the total price for all modules, the unavailability of the dash trim modules and the fact that I would still only have 2 colors.

So I decided to build something custom, using a microcontroller board and some sort of rgb leds. I used a digispark for the controller and ws2812 leds from a strip for the light modules. Advantages of this setup:
- the digispark is tiny and cheap(around $4) while still having enough inputs/outputs for this project
- any colors can be programmed as options and they can be changed in the car
- ws2812 leds only need 3 wires to display any color, which means there’s no need to replace the original wires running to the lights(I have the ambient lights pack with 2 colors = 3 wires, orange+white+ground)
- the original optical conductors will be retained, only the led modules need to be replaced

How this works: the ambient light cables for the orange/white colors come from 2 pins on a plug in the front electronic module(from there it splits along the way for the dash, doors, footwell and b-pillar lights if you have them). This module comes between that connection - it uses the orange/white light cables as inputs; for the outputs, instead of passing that voltage further, it sends 5V and data signal for the ws2812 leds, on the 2 cables going to the lights.

How the colors are changed: when classic(orange) is selected in the idrive lights menu, the module simply displays the current color; when sport(white) is selected, the module cycles through the predefined colors, for a few seconds each one; selecting classic again memorises the color and displays it continuously. Indeed this control method is a bit rudimentary but I wanted to have the lights controlled through the idrive without any external switches, so this is what I've ended up with.

It is a bit of work but I think the end result is worth it. If anyone has the patience and time to do something like this, let me know and I can write a full diy, with all the parts and tools needed.

UPDATE: DIY guide - current sections:
- parts & tools
- power options with circuit diagrams
- programming the board
- test circuit
- controller board instructions
- radio trim led modules + in-car testing

Coming soon:
- installation
- door leds
- footwell leds

Here are some photos of the dash trim and door modules(footwell leds in progress), door light and dash trim light. I'll take more photos and attach them in the second post.
Does all the ambient lighting wires lead to the FEM? If so do you have a wire diagram to show what pin/wire leads to what light? Would really help thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 12:56 PM   #38
f30guy2022
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

that looks sic!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 11:04 AM   #39
antoxa256
Rep
Drives: E60

Quote:
I wanted to upgrade the ambient lights on my f30 LCI, so I started looking for options to increase both brightness and color options if possible. I like everything to look as oem as possible, so I didn’t want to use kits with rgb strips/flexible light pipes over the trim, or to replace the door trims with ones that have rgb strips beneath them. For a while I considered replacing the led modules only, with the ones from benzinfabrik, but I eventually gave up on this due to things like the total price for all modules, the unavailability of the dash trim modules and the fact that I would still only have 2 colors.

So I decided to build something custom, using a microcontroller board and some sort of rgb leds. I used a digispark for the controller and ws2812 leds from a strip for the light modules. Advantages of this setup:
- the digispark is tiny and cheap(around $4) while still having enough inputs/outputs for this project
- any colors can be programmed as options and they can be changed in the car
- ws2812 leds only need 3 wires to display any color, which means there’s no need to replace the original wires running to the lights(I have the ambient lights pack with 2 colors = 3 wires, orange+white+ground)
- the original optical conductors will be retained, only the led modules need to be replaced

How this works: the ambient light cables for the orange/white colors come from 2 pins on a plug in the front electronic module(from there it splits along the way for the dash, doors, footwell and b-pillar lights if you have them). This module comes between that connection - it uses the orange/white light cables as inputs; for the outputs, instead of passing that voltage further, it sends 5V and data signal for the ws2812 leds, on the 2 cables going to the lights.

How the colors are changed: when classic(orange) is selected in the idrive lights menu, the module simply displays the current color; when sport(white) is selected, the module cycles through the predefined colors, for a few seconds each one; selecting classic again memorises the color and displays it continuously. Indeed this control method is a bit rudimentary but I wanted to have the lights controlled through the idrive without any external switches, so this is what I've ended up with.

It is a bit of work but I think the end result is worth it. If anyone has the patience and time to do something like this, let me know and I can write a full diy, with all the parts and tools needed.

UPDATE: DIY guide - current sections:
- parts & tools
- power options with circuit diagrams
- programming the board
- test circuit
- controller board instructions
- radio trim led modules + in-car testing

Coming soon:
- installation
- door leds
- footwell leds

Here are some photos of the dash trim and door modules(footwell leds in progress), door light and dash trim light. I'll take more photos and attach them in the second post.
hi. ceiling light stops working ?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 04:57 PM   #40
happyhippo
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 LCI

Hey! Anyone have idea about "vents" lightning seen in video on first page? Seems like that its not factory for any Fxx and I would love to have it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2023, 03:47 PM   #41
godofyou
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Clubman S

wow how cool is this, another project for me to do!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 07:11 AM   #42
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Wondering if this ever came to fruition or is it dead? A lot of the links no longer work.

I'm very interested as I just got the orange/blue door panel lights.

Thanks.
      01-21-2023, 02:04 AM   #43
eff32fl
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i M Sport THP MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erie Von Otto View Post
Wondering if this ever came to fruition or is it dead? A lot of the links no longer work.

I'm very interested as I just got the orange/blue door panel lights.

Thanks.
Nice where did you get your orange/blue ambient light modules?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 11:28 AM   #44
Samir72
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eff32fl View Post
Nice where did you get your orange/blue ambient light modules?

Benzinfrabik now offer orange 605/blue on their led boards
Appreciate 0