F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > CANADA > Shady Tech at BMW Toronto
Studio RSR

05-31-2021, 11:04 AM   #1
bringit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328d

Shady Tech at BMW Toronto

Had some drama over the last week with BMW Toronto and wanted to share my experience with those in Toronto.

I recently had a check engine light illuminate on my 2014 BMW 328d xdrive and I had the car scanned so that I know what the issue is prior to making an appointment with BMW Toronto. It turned out the code was 2BB300 (Particle Sensor), and the replacement for this sensor was under extended warranty (10 year) from BMW Canada. So, I made an appointment to have the car inspected.

The tech indeed found this issue as well, I was notified that he found a second fault which is for a temperature sensor. Now, I'm confident that the car never had this issue before bringing it into the dealer and found it odd that the tech would have found something new. The service advisor stated BMW Toronto will replace the particle sensor under BMW Canada extended warranty, however, 3 additional sensors (13627805606, 13627805607 and 13628582662) need to be replaced to fix this temperature sensor issue at a cost of $818.07 tax and labour. I proceeded to tell the advisor to just have the sensor that is under warranty replaced and do not replace the other sensors.

After receiving the car back, the error for the particle sensor is gone, but I now have a new error 28E200. I had a friend who used to be a BMW technician inspect the car to see if these 3 additional sensors need to be replaced and his findings was a damaged wire/plug on 1 of the sensors. He said a pin was missing in the plug which seems strange and the wire was damaged, so he repaired the wire/plug for sensor (13627805607) at a cost of $150 labour to diagnose and fix.

I find it so shady that this new code magically appeared. Initially I thought the EGT sensors were damaged while he was repairing the particle sensor but the EGT sensor with the damage is under the hood while the particle sensor is under the car. They're not even in the same location. On top of that, they wanted me to replace 3 EGT temperature sensors all along the exhaust.

I was almost taken for a ride and was just lucky I did my due diligence before bringing in the car... what should be been a free warranty service, turned into a week long drama. I'm not going to knock the dealer, as I think this was the doing of a shady tech.. but thought I'd share my experience. I wrote to BMW Canada as well. I don't have documentation to prove the issue was not there originally, but I have a feeling, I'm not the first person being taken advantaged of...
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2021, 02:09 PM   #2
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

I really do not trust dealers... Some are good, but the price they charge is ridiculous.
Good luck with BMW Canada.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 09:42 AM   #3
silver28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435i xdrive 6 speed

I bought my car from there, a used black 2014 435i back in 2017. It looked fine when I was researching it and the day I bought it, of course they cleaned it up. They did a polish and the whole car was a big massive haze. Their detailers just didn't car...either that, they have no idea how to polish a car.
Appreciate 0