F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > 435D Xdrive pads and discs
GetBMWParts

02-25-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
alexmunichlegend
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 435D X Drive (65)

435D Xdrive pads and discs

Hi All 👋

New to the forum today and was wondering if anyone could advise if you were me, if you’d bother taking the car to BMW for new break pads and discs.

It’s covered 46,000 miles and is a 65 plate.

I believe it has the M Sport Braking System (blue callipers)

I have had a look on the BMW servicing website which gives prices when entering your post code and reg... it’s bringing up the cost of new pads @ approximately £270 and £220 for front and rears respectively, but then says prices for M Sport or M brakes, the prices will vary.

On this basis, I was thinking of taking it to ATS and letting them have a go.

Does anyone know if places like this can reset the lights on the dash and add in the service history? Or is this the reason BMW have you going back to them, because only they can update the cars onboard computer and have to add their dealer number in and the type of service carried out? It is also due a ‘Vehicle inspection’ and is also due an MOT, I’m not sure if they are one and the same?

Does anyone have any idea of roughly what I should be paying for the brake pads and if the M Sport braking system, means the pads need to be different to the bog standard ones?

On the trip, it’s telling me 3,000 miles or March 2020 for the front pads and 8,000 for the rears. But it’s been saying this for some time, so I’m guessing it should still pass the MOT on Saturday with the current brake pads. I’m not sure about the discs, but I’ll ask them to measure the discs when doing the MOT.

Any advice is really appreciated!

Alex 😀
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmunichlegend View Post
Hi All 👋

New to the forum today and was wondering if anyone could advise if you were me, if you’d bother taking the car to BMW for new break pads and discs.

It’s covered 46,000 miles and is a 65 plate.

I have had a look on the BMW servicing website which gives prices when entering your post code and reg... it’s bringing up the cost of new pads @ approximately £270 and £220 for front and rears respectively, but then says prices for M Sport or M brakes, the prices will vary.

Does anyone know if places like this can reset the lights on the dash and add in the service history? Or is this the reason BMW have you going back to them, because only they can update the cars onboard computer and have to add their dealer number in and the type of service carried out? It is also due a ‘Vehicle inspection’ and is also due an MOT, I’m not sure if they are one and the same?

Does anyone have any idea of roughly what I should be paying for the brake pads and if the M Sport braking system, means the pads need to be different to the bog standard ones?

On the trip, it’s telling me 3,000 miles or March 2020 for the front pads and 8,000 for the rears. But it’s been saying this for some time, so I’m guessing it should still pass the MOT on Saturday with the current brake pads. I’m not sure about the discs, but I’ll ask them to measure the discs when doing the MOT.

Alex 😀
Dealers have average parts and exorbitant prices. Use an BMW independent mechanic and choose your own high quality aftermarket parts.

At 46k miles I wouldn't expect to need discs. F30 335 Blue M Sport fronts are 370mm x 30mm and rears are 345mm x 24mm. Both have a wear material limit of 1.6mm. If anyone tells you that the discs need replacement then asked them what their caliper thickness measurements are. Anyone who didn't measure is just trying to sell you discs. If they say that it's there policy to always replace discs then it's a place that is trying to sell everyone discs.

BMW purposely sacrifices pads with pad material softer than disc material. You should be able to get a minimum of two sets of pads for every set of discs. I'd bet that your discs all measure to have 50+% wear material remaining.

The absolute best street pads that I've found are Hawk 5.0. They are superior to BMW pads in every category. They have great bite, heat up instantly, low noise and low dust that washes right away. (Not that black sticky dust of OEM)
I saw recently on AmazonUK and I assume other UK suppliers. In US they retail for $265 for front and rear, and I've seen specials as low as $200. See photo for Hawk 5.0 part numbers. You need 370mm fronts and 345mm rear pads.

When you do need discs, avoid expensive BMW branded. Zimmermann makes high quality German discs that are also zinc coated against rust. I recommend cross-drilled discs especially in front. They have superior bite and shed water in rain to maintain safety. Slotted are meant for high temp racing. They are noisy and wear pads faster on the street. And bite is not as good as drilled. Avoid dimpled too. They pick up debris and appear rusty.

Computer reset is simple. It's in the car manual and on newtis website. Will take you two minutes.

Any mileage estimates in car computer are baseless estimates, based on science fiction. The pad sensors don't measure anything on an ongoing basis. They simply trip and turn on the dash light when pads reach a certain minimum number of millimeters remaining. No reason to panic. You could probably drive thousands of miles more before you hit the true limit of the steel pad backing plate against the disc.

Don't be concerned about your maintenance being entered in BMW system. Keep copies of receipts in glove box. Just FUD (Fear Uncertainty & Doubt) thrown out there to keep you returning to the dealer.

Light on dash means brake pad sensor has tripped. There is 1 on front brakes and 1 on rear brakes. They are one-time use so replace if tripped. About $20-$30 each. Many suppliers. Just pick one.

Have brake fluid drained and replaced every two years for safety. Moisture from the air builds up in fluid and can damage components internally.

Highly suggest swapping brake hoses for stainless steel brake lines when you do a brake job since labor overlaps so it is mostly free. They get rid of mushy feel and make brake pedal more solid. StopTech stainless lines are about $108/set of 4. Other brands can go as high as $165/set.

My independent factory trained BMW mechanic charges $100/corner so $400 for labor only for a complete brake swap out when I bring him calipers, pads, discs and stainless lines. He provides new BMW fluid that he drains and replaces after swapping components. Don't know what he would charge for pads, stainless lines and fluid drain/fill/bleed, but at least that gives you a reasonable upper labor limit.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5876.00
      02-25-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Quote:
Hi All ��
Welcome.
I certainly didn't go to BMW, the prices they quote are unreasonable in my opinion.

Quote:
That sounds right.

Quote:

My choice was an independent garage that I have used for years, know and trust.

Quote:
Does anyone know if places like this can reset the lights on the dash and add in the service history? Or is this the reason BMW have you going back to them, because only they can update the cars onboard computer and have to add their dealer number in and the type of service carried out?
No special tool or computer is required to reset the brake 'life' or Vehicle inspection (MOT).
However to get the Service of engine oil, microfilters etc on your in car screen can be done by some independents but, unless they have the ability to update the BMW servers (which even fewer can), any further work at BMW may overwrite those and effectively delete them off the car.

Quote:
It is also due a ‘Vehicle inspection’ and is also due an MOT, I’m not sure if they are one and the same?
Yes, see above.

Quote:
The M-Sport (blue) callipers are made by Brembo. There are a number of compatible pads available, I went for Mintex myself, but most major names (including Brembo themselves unsurprisingly) make pads for them.

Mintex MDB3764 pads for my 2015 435d with M Sport (Brembo four pot) blue calipers over 370mm discs. These were in the region of £36 delivered.

Mintex Rear Brake Pad Set MDB3269 for the (Brembo two pot) blue calipers over 330mm discs.

Quote:
Yes that should pass. A quick guide to wear is to look at the lipping of the edge the disc. As you say measuring is the best way.
If required discs made by Zimmerman in the same 'two-piece' style as the OEM are available.

When I had the pads changed I also bought new pad wear sensors and retaining pin set. BMW suggest renewing the pins every four years, for the few extra pounds they cost, it may save the originals getting corroded in place.

Quote:
Alex ��
Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 04:19 AM   #4
alexmunichlegend
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Johnung, very thorough and useful response! Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Dealers have average parts and exorbitant prices. Use an BMW independent mechanic and choose your own high quality aftermarket parts.

At 46k miles I wouldn't expect to need discs. F30 335 Blue M Sport fronts are 370mm x 30mm and rears are 345mm x 24mm. Both have a wear material limit of 1.6mm. If anyone tells you that the discs need replacement then asked them what their caliper thickness measurements are. Anyone who didn't measure is just trying to sell you discs. If they say that it's there policy to always replace discs then it's a place that is trying to sell everyone discs.

BMW purposely sacrifices pads with pad material softer than disc material. You should be able to get a minimum of two sets of pads for every set of discs. I'd bet that your discs all measure to have 50+% wear material remaining.

The absolute best street pads that I've found are Hawk 5.0. They are superior to BMW pads in every category. They have great bite, heat up instantly, low noise and low dust that washes right away. (Not that black sticky dust of OEM)
I saw recently on AmazonUK and I assume other UK suppliers. In US they retail for $265 for front and rear, and I've seen specials as low as $200. See photo for Hawk 5.0 part numbers. You need 370mm fronts and 345mm rear pads.

When you do need discs, avoid expensive BMW branded. Zimmermann makes high quality German discs that are also zinc coated against rust. I recommend cross-drilled discs especially in front. They have superior bite and shed water in rain to maintain safety. Slotted are meant for high temp racing. They are noisy and wear pads faster on the street. And bite is not as good as drilled. Avoid dimpled too. They pick up debris and appear rusty.

Computer reset is simple. It's in the car manual and on newtis website. Will take you two minutes.

Any mileage estimates in car computer are baseless estimates, based on science fiction. The pad sensors don't measure anything on an ongoing basis. They simply trip and turn on the dash light when pads reach a certain minimum number of millimeters remaining. No reason to panic. You could probably drive thousands of miles more before you hit the true limit of the steel pad backing plate against the disc.

Don't be concerned about your maintenance being entered in BMW system. Keep copies of receipts in glove box. Just FUD (Fear Uncertainty & Doubt) thrown out there to keep you returning to the dealer.

Light on dash means brake pad sensor has tripped. There is 1 on front brakes and 1 on rear brakes. They are one-time use so replace if tripped. About $20-$30 each. Many suppliers. Just pick one.

Have brake fluid drained and replaced every two years for safety. Moisture from the air builds up in fluid and can damage components internally.

Highly suggest swapping brake hoses for stainless steel brake lines when you do a brake job since labor overlaps so it is mostly free. They get rid of mushy feel and make brake pedal more solid. StopTech stainless lines are about $108/set of 4. Other brands can go as high as $165/set.

My independent factory trained BMW mechanic charges $100/corner so $400 for labor only for a complete brake swap out when I bring him calipers, pads, discs and stainless lines. He provides new BMW fluid that he drains and replaces after swapping components. Don't know what he would charge for pads, stainless lines and fluid drain/fill/bleed, but at least that gives you a reasonable upper labor limit.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 04:20 AM   #5
alexmunichlegend
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks very much for the reply Techno 9000 - really helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno 9000 View Post
Welcome.
I certainly didn't go to BMW, the prices they quote are unreasonable in my opinion.

That sounds right.

My choice was an independent garage that I have used for years, know and trust.

No special tool or computer is required to reset the brake 'life' or Vehicle inspection (MOT).
However to get the Service of engine oil, microfilters etc on your in car screen can be done by some independents but, unless they have the ability to update the BMW servers (which even fewer can), any further work at BMW may overwrite those and effectively delete them off the car.

Yes, see above.

The M-Sport (blue) callipers are made by Brembo. There are a number of compatible pads available, I went for Mintex myself, but most major names (including Brembo themselves unsurprisingly) make pads for them.

Mintex MDB3764 pads for my 2015 435d with M Sport (Brembo four pot) blue calipers over 370mm discs. These were in the region of £36 delivered.

Mintex Rear Brake Pad Set MDB3269 for the (Brembo two pot) blue calipers over 330mm discs.

Yes that should pass. A quick guide to wear is to look at the lipping of the edge the disc. As you say measuring is the best way.
If required discs made by Zimmerman in the same 'two-piece' style as the OEM are available.

When I had the pads changed I also bought new pad wear sensors and retaining pin set. BMW suggest renewing the pins every four years, for the few extra pounds they cost, it may save the originals getting corroded in place.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 10:22 AM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

johnung provided thorough advice as always making this thread ... well - short but for very good reasons.

I completely agree with 2 additional recommendations: replace brake fluid every 2 years and replace OEM brake lines with stainless steel equivalents.

At 46K miles, this is a good time to do it.

Last edited by cfm56d7b; 03-19-2020 at 09:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
johnung4526.50
      03-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

IMO change the brake fluid when it needs to be changed, not before, and certainly not after. The only way to know when it needs changing is to test it periodically with one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0834PVSBT/ref=dp_cerb_2
Changing the lines means changing the fluid, so if you do have to change the fluid you might as well change the lines.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 09:47 PM   #8
dmorale5
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW 435I M

Follow up to your post (Brake Sensor Issue)

I'm new to this. I have a 2016 435I (2door) M package. I changed the brakes on my car and it runs good but when I try to do the reset it wont let me. Now it shows as if my brake services is over due. Can anybody advice on that?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:26 PM   #9
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Sometimes you need to use an OBD diagnostic tool with code clearing ability to do a reset.
Appreciate 0